more monitor questions, very short post

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by letterbox, Jul 2, 2004.

1. letterbox macrumors regular

$1100 shipped for 2 17" Samsung displays

OR

$1169 shipped for 1 20" widescreen Apple display?

17 inchers will arrive very soon, the 20" well that is a different story...early august?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

personally i think 2 smaller monitors is better than one larger one so i'd go with the samsung displays

3. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reccomendation. What do you think are the benefits one 2 v. 1?

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

The Samsung is a nice monitor, but personally I'd go for the 20".

You're only going to have the menu bar and dock available on one monitor with the dual set up so you'll need to keep moving back and forth, and it lacks the Firewire/USB.

Unless you really need a dual set up for something like video editing or graphic design you'll just end up with more screen space but less practically usable area.

5. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

I am a graphic design major and will probably end up doing some video editing, so do you think that would sway your opinion to dual setup rather than single?

I really like the idea of havine a single 20" widescreen monitor, less clutter, less monitors, just less in general, just more money, more waiting time, but also that added sexiness and functionality.

Oh, and also, I pratically never game, infact I don't own any games other than the ones that came with my previous ibook.

6. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

The sexiness is always an important factor, but I think it depends more on how you're going to be using it. Basically what your user style is like.

Dual monitor is good for focusing on one task, like video editing in one screen and keeping tools and pallets on the other. But when you're talking about a 20" screen available real estate isn't really an issue, so you can function with them all on one screen easily.

I think the main advantage of one large screen is being able to preview an editing project full screen with out having to export it and view on TV etc. or preview a large graphic design project. With two screens you going to be limited to a small view or a view with a break down the middle.

I think ultimately it's more useful to have one large viewable area than two that equal the single area.

7. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...you make some very good points.

I guess I really wish I could try out the Samsungs in a dual setup as they seem to have fairly narrow bezels. I know for a fact that I would love the 20" and it would do me just fine, it is the 17"ers I'm sketchy on but the price diff is enough to make me think (i have a very tight budget and whatever monitor setup I get I will have to find a few 700 extra dollars to get my laptop) about getting them, as well as being able to have them sooner (..ergh i hope this isn't my instant gratification inners talking to me...::go away I tell you!::)

8. stronghand macrumors newbie

Go with the dual set up

Letterbox

Being a print and web designer I can say from experience that the dual monitors will be a godsend when it comes to design work. I have a 23" Cinema Display/22" LaCie Electron Blue setup at work, the Cinema Display for my main documents, the LaCie for palettes and for color correction in PS (a great CRT still beats a great LCD for color fidelity). I use all the big design apps daily: Illustrator, Photoshop, ImageReady, InDesign, QuarkXPress(ugh), and Dreamweaver. InDesign in particular, at least until CS came out, was a serious waste of real estate in regards to palettes.

I highly recommend an LCD/CRT combo if serious color correction work is being done. If it isn't, you're probably fine with the 2 LCDs. Apple uses really good quality LCDs so my Cinema Display is actually fairly accurate color-wise. But that's also why you pay more for a single 20 from Apple than two 17s from someone else.

Believe me, if you have the physical room for a dual monitor rig, you should do it. I hate having to come home to a single monitor, even if it is a 20". Hope this helps...

9. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

Stronghand, thanks for the advice.

I do have room for a dual-monitor setup, as long as it is 2 LCD's. Right now I don't really even have room for one CRT because it takes up so much desk space. It causes me to be too close to the monitor. I will also be moving into a relatively small apartment so the space and heat generated by a CRT will be a real factor.

That being said, would it be better to get 17" lcd from apple and another 17" from Samsung since color is better on a CRT? That wouldn't mesh as far as the aesthetics though, but I could get a 20" widescreen for that much too.

:confused: decisions, decisions

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, you could get the 20", which by all accounts is a great monitor, better than the 20" ACD I have now. Then get a second, possibly cheaper, monitor later. That way, you don't sacrifice image/color quality, and you leave the door open later for 2 displays.

Note also that the current 20" displays should drop significantly in price - if you can find them - once the others are shipping.

11. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

What about $1200 for 2 17" Apple displays (the old models)? Just an idea...

Edit: I forgot tax, shipping, and the ADC>DVI adapter for the second. OK, the Samsung monitors come out a few hundred less. Never mind.

12. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

They dropped to I believe 1199 (can't remember exactly) and the edu price dropped to 1099. However, with the old monitors only being available through retail stores right now, that puts the old 20" @ edu pricing to (wishes for calculator widget...) $1153.95. The new 20" edu is 1169, w/free shipping, so for like 16 dollars more I could get the new one. I'd spring for the ADC model @ edu pricing if I could avoid tax.

13. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

don't forget, with dual monitors, you need a way of connecting both to your computer at the same time!
    if you have a g5 though, get the 20", no question.

reality

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The 2x17" Samsungs (that's 2560x1024 total screen space) wihtout a doubt.

15. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I do have a G5, the newer dual 1.8 (i know the older refurb is a better deal however when i bought it a few weeks ago i needed it then, didn't have time to wait for it to ship in >30 days). I believe the adc to dvi connector is 29.99, so I guess that should be factored in. Overall, prices are about the same, it is just the amount of screen space and in what form it is available that are different.

So far:

2 Samsung 17" lcd
    $1130

costs less
    more total screen space
    more cable clutter
    dual inputs
    no ports
    available now

apple 20" widescreen lcd
    $1169

costs more
    less screen space, but with no interruption plus dock/menu bar all the way
    less cable clutter
    single input
    extra ports
    available in a month

16. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i believe the adc to dvi connector is 299.99 not 29.99...

and you should buy it soon, as it may be discontinued...

reality

17. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

The ADC>DVI connector is between 30 and 40 from various websites, a day ago it was 29.99 on Apple's website I believe. It is the DVI>ADC connector that is 99.00, but I don't think I will have a need for that unless I would opt for 2 older Apple Displays.

I also think that I will just put my money into the new 20" and I'll save my money up for a few months until I can afford a laptop rather than squandering resources and ending up with a less than ideal monitor setup and underpowered laptop.

Also, I think those Samsung's have DVI inputs but are analog inside...if that makes sense.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you are editing video you really want a TV/Broadcast Monitor hooked up to your machine because video on a TV looks really, really different than video on a computer monitor. But If you are just screwing around it's probably no big deal.

Lethal

19. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

yes, by video editing i mean nothing serious, just screwing around doing fun stuff, i don't know maybe i'll do a documentary or something later on but i just threw that in there b/c i wouldn't want to end up w/anything that crapped out on video, er so to speak.

20. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I know that this isn't an option that you presented, but if you can do this in anyway possible, I would scrounge up the cash and go for the 23" HD. If not, the 20 would be my next choice.

BTW, I've been working on the 15" screen of my powerbook for the last 2 weeks since I sold my CRT, and I will continue to do so until my 23" HD display arrives...using PS or Illustrator's not that bad even on a 15" PB...I've really learned to utilize the space more effectively and I think a 20" will be just fine real-estate wise. I mean, what the hell is expose for? :D (of course you probably won't need it on a 20").

p.s. my bet is that if you get the samsungs, you will be happy at first, but you will always have that feeling that you should have gotten the apple display...buy what you really want, cause you won't be satisfied until you get it.

21. letterbox thread starter macrumors regular

I would love to have a 23" HD display, however, I don't think there is anyways I can scrounge up $1799. As it is, with the 20" I will face not being able to buy a laptop for a month or two into the semester or maybe even not 'til January.

I don't have a real practical use for the HD, and that monitor would cost as much as my computer did practically. I think I'll be fine with a 20", I'm just a student so this is all overkill in the first place for the most part (maybe), so probably best to not stretch it anymore. I'm already going to have a hard time justifying the 20" when my dad asks where my money went.

22. Makyz macrumors newbie

what are the real advatnages of going with the 23 inch apple display with HD? other than screen size, how much does high definition effect?

23. Bhennies macrumors 6502

The resolution is fantastic, and even prosumer grade DV cameras are starting to go to HD. I'm not a video editor- yet...but I want to future proof myself plus the 20" seems just a tad too small...like a 17" that someone streched really wide. still a great monitor, though.