Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
[snip list of bugs(?)]

I have not experienced any of those bugs. Not simply haven't noticed them or don't use those features, but they don't happen for me. I'm not questioning whether they do for you, but unless you can show me that a significant portion of users are affected by a significant number of bugs (as I stated in my last post), stating that Lion is "BUGGY" is simply not justified, especially not in the context of advising that people not use it.

jW

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I have not experienced any of those bugs. Not simply haven't noticed them or don't use those features, but they don't happen for me. I'm not questioning whether they do for you, but unless you can show me that a significant portion of users are affected by a significant number of bugs (as I stated in my last post), stating that Lion is "BUGGY" is simply not justified, especially not in the context of advising that people not use it.

jW

I have to say I have found very few problems with lion and I use a lot every day. The only issue I find, is that shutdown and startup are very slow compared to SL.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011

jW

jW,

What you are requiring is untenable. Neither he, nor anyone can demonstrate this to you , not in lion, not in piece of commercial software. Even if someone's supporting lion (or again in commercial software) they cannot perform and then evidence a study on bugs and users reporting them. Only apple can do this and they have of course vested interests not. So you are asking to be provided with evidence that cannot be attained.

Even if someone could provide you with such evidence, they don't have to prove that a significant number of users are troubled with significant bugs. We are in 2012, if this was the case that significant no of users had a significant (whatever this means btw) no. of bugs that wouldn't mean lion is buggy, that would be that it's the biggest regression in software engineering history.

A lot of us have come to the understanding that lion is buggy via a. personal experience (bugs in preview, safari, ical, smb networking, app store and mail for me, in four macs I own - this is almost every core os application - and similar bugs in friends' macs), b. reading the .1 reports of other users and their experiences, every single one buggy, and in every single one apple far behind fixing these bugs c. reading support threads on apple's forums about lion and comparing them to previous os releases. No one can prove this to you though. Lion is far buggier than any previous os releases since tiger, and people who are old enough to remember and compare can attest to this. It has been a sloppy and rushed release with not enough care put into it.

Besides the bugs there are ui changes such as save state, autosave, duplicate, auto shut down of apps, reopen windows that have been poorly implemented and have not provided the supposed benefits they were to provide. Almost no one is ecstatic about them and thinks that these brought anything great to the table to os x, some people don't mind that much, and they've caused a lot of nuisance to a number of users.

I am sure if we did take a poll here and asked do you find autosave, auto shut down, and save state & reopen windows useful and would you mind if they were not there to begin with as in sl, I would wager that upwards of 80% (at least) wouldn't mind at all for them to go away, and I am sure the majority would be relieved that they did go back to how they were in sl. This whole cross pollination of os x from ios in said areas has been a marketing sham with no real added benefits on aggregate and a lot of nuisances to users. Let's face it, apple didn't bring much to lion, no fs change, no resolution independence, some security upgrades and a rebranded less capable in a lot of respects (more in others) mobileme, and they had to show something, to market lion via something so enter a few ipad like features like the once I mentioned of very dubious use or need in os x (why would an app such as text edit autoshutdown in os x with systems of 2gb ram and upwards? Why should an app save its state (this was due to ios not having real multitasking that the need presented itself)).

That's why people refer to lion as apple's vista, because a. it's buggy (and I am afraid to say it's buggier than vista...) and b. it aims for some ui and new ways of doing things that are neither very helpful nor well implemented and verging on bloatware.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
edit:just want to add zfs didn't come to the mac because apple and sun couldn't come to an agreement in the licensing terms, and the idea now seems as dead as ever despite LE's oracle having purchased sun and being best buddies with SJ.

Sure on that? The license for ZFS is effectively BSD-ish, and FreeBSD, Nexenta, etc have no issues including it. ZFS-related code was apparently recently found in iOS 5.1, hence my hopes for it coming back to OS X.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Making the filesystem transparent to the user doesn't mean they can get rid of it underneath.

True. But I still doubt it'll be done. New OS X features are becoming like new iOS features. All looks but no trousers. Something flashy and shiney and potentially useful to the user, but no refinement underneath. Or at least that is the way they're being advertised. All the under-the-hood stuff is rarely mentioned by Apple.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Sure on that? The license for ZFS is effectively BSD-ish, and FreeBSD, Nexenta, etc have no issues including it. ZFS-related code was apparently recently found in iOS 5.1, hence my hopes for it coming back to OS X.

I don't know how zfs code was found in ios, and it what form, because ios has and will have nothing to do with zfs for certain. The license might be ccdl but there are other issues involving support, exclusivity and maintenance that apple wanted to dodge (not pay) and couldn't, as far as I can remember. I also believe zfs carries a bandwidth premium that os x cannot meet seamlessly... That's what I nkow at least. :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Whoa, where can you ask or suggest apple to add that ?

Here's the old post on MacRumors when the "Answering Machine" feature was in one of their Leopard beta's in 2006. It allowed for a video away message and for friends to leave video messages.

Leopard iChat Answering Machine

answeringichat.jpg

The new iChat answering preference tab allows users to record a Video greeting to serve as an answering message when users are away from their desk. The caller may then leave a message. At this time, there only appears to be partial functionality implemented.

The ability to record video-clips has previously been suggested as a tie in to the iPhone to provide a "call ahead" feature.

Would be a great feature for FaceTime. Wonder why Apple dropped it.

AliClifton

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
I really hope there's more to come, right now it's a pretty bleak outlook for people like me who are most looking forward to the imessage client and a shut screen that remembers the unchecked box for 'start all open apps on next boot' or whatever it says....imo right now ML offers nothing that can be described as new 'features', rather the kind of thing i'd expect from an insignificant update

Edit: oh and please god let's hope they rethink the incredibly ugly new background of dashboard, or do one better and scrap/redesign dashboard completely - if there is one area of OSX crying out for iOS style implementation, then it's there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.