More news on bigger LCD screens

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by groov', May 27, 2002.

1. groov' macrumors regular

It seems that Apple has two LCD screen suppliers: Samsung and LG.

After last weeks news that Samsung offers a new 19 inch screen

(see this thread: http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=5353)

there is more good news ... now from LG.

Here are some quotes from a new Register article:

"LG Philips, the liquid crystal display manufacturing joint venture of Royal Philips Electronics NV and LG Electronics, ... (opened) a major new fab in Kumi, South Korea."

"The thin-film-transistor LCD plant is claimed to be the first "fifth-generation" TFT-LCD fab, and is designed to revolutionize productivity levels in application of TFT_LCD technology to displays of 15" and greater. "

"The opening of the P4 plant is likely to be the most immediately significant announcement for Philips and for the display industry at large. By the second half of this year, Philips claims P4 will reach full capacity, producing 60,000 LCD sheets per month. This is a new benchmark for LCD production that competitors will have to scramble to emulate.

Not only is P4 more productive than conventional LCD plants, but also it has been designed to mass produce bigger displays. It is the first LCD fab to use 1000mm x 1200mm glass substrates, and will allow Philips and LG to quickly push their technology into the television sector, as well as using P4 to build bigger flat-screen monitors for computers. "

You can find the whole article here

2. OSeXy! macrumors regular

Sounds good. I wonder if we'll see an LCD price war start "by the second half of this year" as the article seems to indicate. I hope Philips doesn't get too greedy: we want cheaper iMacs and laptops!

And just imagine a 1000mm x 1200mm LCD screen.;)

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: LCD prices

I have this feeling that LCD pricing is going to be one of those aspects where we see almost a mandate on the pricing...

they are expensive already...and we're seeing more & more LCD technology being pushed...especially since Apple has gone all LCD for their display line...

but as smart as many execs are...it wouldn't surprise me to see them do nothing with the prices...keeping them high...whether or not the technology gets to a point where they become affordable...

4. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

Re: re: LCD prices

Execs don't have that power. LCD manufactuers are not monopolies, so they cannot control the pricing. They are competitiors, so prices will be driven down due to lower manufacturing costs.

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I agree. As the manufacturing process becomes cheaper and more advanced, we MUST see lower prices.

Look at CRTs. They have steadily become cheaper and cheaper. Granted, they have been around much longer, but the trend is still evident.

I'm really excited by all this news. I've been holding out for an LCD when I get a new machine, and if we see something in the 19" range and everything dropping in price I will be set. :D

6. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i think that a larger screen might be a good marketing tool cause when ppl see the base of the imac for the first time (in person) theyre like.. thats hUgE!... i think that a larger monitor would provide a bigger contrast between the monitor and the base.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The application taken to the TV market will make it a much more viable product. LCD displays for PC will benefit by this greatly, but I don't think we'll be seeing that big of a screen for PCs. Resolution is also an issue, since even HDTV is smaller than the highres expected for computers.

What would be nice is to see a blurring in the use of a large monitor, use it for a TV and a PC. I'd love to have a really large screen for my computer mounted on the wall, show DVDs and also regular tv/cable. This might be the first step in that direction. I just hope the prices come down.

8. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Yeah! A combo TV/computer monitor around 25" in a 16:9 would be so nice. No worries about screen real estate even when watching Sacramento squeeze another one point win over the Lakers while surfing the web...then again it would be nice at work too while editing.

9. gaomay macrumors regular

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

That would be really cool! Maybe they will relase it sometime in spetember. If they do make it bigger it should be before Christmas.

11. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

If they make new 17-19inch iMacs do you think it would use this display?

12. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

As cool as it sounds, 19" iMacs seem a bit suspect. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see 'em, and I think people would line up to buy them, but the price might be a tad steep.