More Nike+ Products: Amp+, Voice Kit?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by lexus, Nov 27, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

lexus

2. macrumors 68000

spicyapple

LOL. Nice! :)

Thanks for the eagle eye! luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

3. macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Not it doesn't, it suggests that it works with the existing NIKE+iPod dongle.

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Which is RF not BT.

5. macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

So it means a new adapter will be sold with it.

6. macrumors P6

twoodcc

seems like a nice product, nonetheless

7. macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

There's actually a 2.4GHz GFSK transceiver chip inside the Sport Kit receiver, which seems to be commonly used in many bluetooth devices. A more technical look at the Sport Kit's innards is here.

I'm guessing that the Amp+ will work with the current Nike+iPod receiver, or come with a special receiver of its own that's compatible with the Sport Kit and Amp.

9. macrumors bot

MacRumors

More Nike+ Products: Amp+, Voice Kit?

[​IMG]

The December 2006 edition of Mens Health magazine includes Men's Health 2007 Tech Guide, which includes an unannounced product labeled Nike Amp+, a wrist-mounted remote for interfacing with the Nike+iPod system.

Interestingly, the description describes the watch as using Bluetooth technology. While the existing Nike+iPod Sport Kit uses the bluetooth 2.4 GHz frequency, Apple claims it uses a proprietary protocol.

In addition, many users have been reporting for some time that the latest versions of the iPod software for their iPod Nanos (v1.3 for Gen1, v1.1 for Gen2, available via iTunes 7) is described as having support for an "Nike+iPod Voice Kit." No other information about this mysterious product is available at this time.

It is not known when either product will be available. Mens Health claims the Amp+ MSRP as $80.

10. macrumors P6

twoodcc

looking forward to these in Apple stores soon. would love to add it to my ipod nano when i'm running

11. macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Voice kit?

Not sure how much easier it is to say "next" than pressing the next button... unless of course you're a parapalegic, in which case this is exactly what you're been waiting for.

12. macrumors 65816

ero87

this looks awesome, i'm glad they're doing further development with nike. as of now, the nike+apple thing seems a little bare...

13. macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

Pulse monitor on wrist anyone?

14. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I agree. Buttons are faster, easier, and quieter than speaking and hoping that the device recognizes you above the background noise. And if you are running, you haven't the breath to waste. :)
    Is it possibly talking about the iPod that will speak the track names to you? That'd be cool and useful for people with Shuffles. No need to guess what track you are playing, and with Alex around, it might sound good too.

15. macrumors 68020

ipedro

Man, I've been totally hoping for that!

I'm completely addicted to Nike+ and it's making an avid runner out of me. I go running every night to the sounds of Beatport.com. The only stats missing are my heart rate.

I do find that fumbling with my arm mounted band (no screen window) can ruin my pace and a watch like this would totally work for me.

I wonder if this device functions as a regular watch also. :)

Regardless, I'm totally getting it once it's at the Apple Store.

16. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wow they certainly do claim BT technology but then again there is no evidence supporting a nano with BT today.

17. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Here's more information for ya...

Nike+iPod Voice Kits.

They were introduced around mid-October and provide spoken feedback in different languages for the Nike+iPod system. FAQ.

18. macrumors 68020

When was iPod Software v1.3 released?

19. macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

This news sounds like a VERY close rendition of SonyEricsson's & FOSSIL's Bluetooth watch lineup.

> probably not going to be stylized.

20. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

This little device looks like fun :)

21. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

For those too lazy to click the link, here's a photo...

[​IMG]

22. macrumors 6502a

Information from ShopWiki.com

For those too lazy to follow the electron-trail. The information traces back to a Wiki. You know those user-editable sources of information on the web.

The Nike Amp+ was edited into the ShopWiki back on October 19th by a ladygaladriel.

Not saying it isn't true. But you know, it is a wiki. Nice product if it turns up.

23. macrumors 6502a

iJaz

I am really tempted to get the Nike+ but without a heart rate monitor it's kind of useless for me as I have a Polar s625x.
    But add a heart rate monitor and a wrist band and you have a winner!

24. macrumors 6502a

i want one of these, but i am waiting to see what the iPhone is like before i make any more iPod purchases

25. macrumors 6502

I wish Apple would make a special iPod for runners that looked exactly like that wristband but had wireless headphones. For runners, you only need about 1GB of space and for the battery to about last 2 hours. At least that would be good enough for 90% of runners out there. It just can't be that hard!