More Opinions from Around the World

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Oct 3, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...s3oct03,1,470597.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Some very sharp observations here. Worth a read.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I just read this article in my Sunday paper a few moments ago, and was about to post it here. You beat me to it. Agreed, a good overview of American's problematic image abroad. If more people cared about such things, Bush would be drubbed in the election. Our reputation is a complete shambles and Bush is entirely responsible for it.

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Great article Skunk..thanks.

IJ, as far as where reponsibility lies, do we merely blame the lemming King?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, there's plenty of blame to go around. Next on my list is a timid media that's been afraid to ask whether the Emperor is wearing any clothes.

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Hard though it may be, there's a whole boatload of people who should have said or done something when the lies started going past their desks, if they were doing their jobs.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

People are afraid to question the current leadership or be branded as UnAmerican, or traitors. Odd, because those who do speak out generally aren't really threatened with much more than words. Guess it's that whole post-9/11 thing. We were shaken up, and a lot of people are still upset about it, or just don't want to think about it if they don't think it affects them directly. The rest of the world was with us, but we pissed away what little good will we gained. Our own country has been split in 2, with hatemongering against the Liberals and the French and the conservatives on the defense, with no one to guard the rest of us in the middle.

People here seem to forget that there are other countries in the world besides us, and are afraid to look unpatriotic unless they talk ad nauseum about how we are the greatest country in the world, even if they don't know why. And how what we are doing is for the good of everyone, even if we are making things worse. Frankly, I'm surprised the rest of the world doesn't hate us more.

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Give us four more years of Bush, and we will...

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Is that a promise or a threat?

9. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Just a prognosis. :D

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

God I hope not. I hope Kerry can do better. He can't do much worse. :D

11. katchow macrumors 6502

When discussing the aftermath of 9/11 it seems the media always describes the general mood of the people as a "fear for our security", when i think the the word that seems to be influencing a lot of behavior is "revenge". Afghanistan might be a little too abstract of a victory (especially without bin laden capture) for most...toppling saddam was pretty succinct and would have done the trick if not for all this post-war messiness.

i dunno, just hearing the things people say around me...i get the feeling that people are willing to support the iraqi war (wmd's or not) because they think we need to show the world that we can still kick some ass...

umm...sorry to be a little off-topic...i think the rest of the world sees the latter description a little clearer.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's pretty much on-topic, and quite true I'm afraid. And the rest of the world sees it as that as well.