MORE PATRIOT ACTion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Pinto, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Pinto macrumors newbie

link

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: MORE PATRIOT ACTion

Does anyone else find it ironic that the same FBI and Justice Department is not saying the same thing to Novak etal concerning the outing of a CIA agent? Which case more directly involves national security?

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The American people would be much more tolerant of something like the Patriot Act if the government would use it as the anti-terrorist weapon it was presented to us as, instead of giving it the appearance of a naked power grab.

4. Steradian macrumors 6502

it isn't a power grab you say? ;)

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hehe, I'm being generous for the sake of an orderly debate.:p

I'd rather debate than throw rhetorical bombs.

6. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I've come to a personal conclusion: if Bush is reelected in 2004, or Republicans maintain control over both houses of Congress, or both (God forbid) I'm leaving the country. I'll finish up my bachelor's degree and then high-tail it to New Zealand or or Spain or Madagascar.

And spare the 'good riddance' stuff. I'd do it because it hurts me to see the rights of every citizen of the United States so callously thrown out the window. Because of Bush's foreign policy, my father is interrogating prisoners in Iraq. Because of George Bush's domestic policy, my father nearly lost his job with the Department of Commerce (Ironically, the only thing that saved it was his deployment), pays the same taxes he has before but only to see a decrease in the services of this country that he is entitled to. Nobody I know has benefitted from the Bush Administration. In fact, most seem to have more hardships and setbacks now than ever before.

I love this country, and I always will. No, I love the ideals that were in the mind of the Founders at the time of its creation. I worked hard in the 2002 elections to put in office people I felt would help the country, who I believed would improve the lives of, and I will do it again in 2004. But I can't take much more. Especially if legislation and policy like the USA PATRIOT Act is upheld.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mac, you're being overly charitable. :)

CJB, I imagine the Congress will remain in Republican control. Bush? Dangfino. But the Democrats sure gotta come up with something better than what they've shown, so far. Bush or Dem, I'd say the country is in deep doo-doo, regardless...

:(, 'Rat

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Leaving the country will only help hand it over to those you are opposed to. Stay and fight.

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, the FBI will throw some reporters in jail if they destroy records, but the Texas legislators and police who tried to arrest a bunch of Democrats at the behest of someone from Congress, who then destroyed any record of who from Congress contacted them, get away Scott-Free? I smell the stench of even more double standards (don't even get me started on the impeachment of Clinton and how Jr. avoids any invetigations of his misdeads).

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

mccrain, while you're huffing and puffing and harrumphing around, give some thought to whether the going-away of Dubya would make the Feebies behave differently?

'Rat

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Of course it would if the chief of the Executive branch, i.e. the President, told them to.

12. Pinto thread starter macrumors newbie

The "feebies" like any other law agency, use the law to the utmost limit to achieve their aims.

Who gave them the law to use?