More PC only stuff. :-/

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Schtibbie, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2007
    So far my list of things I wanted to install on my Mac but couldn't includes:
    Family tree software (yes, mac stuff can be had. But NOT the same programs. Try explaining to the rest of my family why my mac is so cool but *I* have to use a different tree program than everyone else because we're the only ones with a mac)

Fitness software (yes, mac stuff can be had. But NOT the same programs. Whether it's for cycling, triathlon, whatever - it's windows all the way.) Am I THAT weird to be a fitness buff and a Mac user?

Heart rate monitors (same as fitness. Only Garmin has added Mac support, and we'll have to literally PRAY that it doesn't fade into version purgatory)

Convenience tools from companies (Ikea kitchen planner, Lowe's kitchen planner, etc. YES you can get similar Mac software but it won't have the specific objects and specs of the company you're trying to use to buy your windows/cabinets/flooring/whatever)

Lest ye think this is just a rant: I have a question. Given that this is not Apple's fault, is Apple at least doing *something* to make cross-platform development much more likely to happen by default in the future? And not just by mac-head developers?
  2. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
  3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    thats the reason they made Bootcamp :rolleyes:

As Apple gain market share, more software will be written for it, because people will have to notice them.
  4. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 13, 2007
    I had been planning for my switch to Mac to be a way OUT of having to maintain a Windows box. That's why I shut down my old PC after I copied off all my personal files. So now I not only will have to buy a copy of Vista, but I'll have to buy a copy of Parallels. ACK!

No, I want my computer to be an appliance - without me having to think too much about it. I'll use my work laptop (a Dell) for PC stuff and leave my Mac running Mac OS. For now.
  5. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Mar 21, 2006
    try crossover office. While the tip I'm about to tell you isn't ethical but the demo lasts 60 days after you activate it on your mac, weather its 1/25/07, 08, 09, 10 :) . This way you get a good assessment.