More Pepsi-iTunes Opportunities... and McDonalds?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Feb 3, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

A few readers have noted that 20oz Pepsi Bottles are not the only location that you can find the iTunes/Pepsi 100 Million Song Giveaway.

7-11 convenience stores are carrying specially marked (Apple Logo'd) Pepsi cups. Some photos of the cup are shown here.

Another reader notes that their local gas stations carry the same Pepsi-iTunes cups.

Meanwhile, according to one source... the previously rumored McDonald's-iTunes giveaway is reportedly a "go"... with iTunes songs to be given away on specially marked French Fries/Sodas at the popular fast-food chain.

2. macrumors 601

stoid

Why do I get the feeling that Maryville, Missouri is going to be getting stiffed on all free music goodness?

3. macrumors newbie

Free Music

Searching hi and low for Pepsi Bottles here in Music City USA (Nashville, TN) and coming up with squat.

4. macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

While I think it is great to see as many outlets and avenues for this promotion as possible, I think the best part of this is the reasonable hope that there will finally be an end to the mewling whines of "why not Mountain Dew?" from the people who don't understand what a sales promotion is intended to do.

(To clarify, the demographic Pepsi is trying to convert already buys Mountain Dew. This is not a reward for buying what you already buy, it's supposed to get people to switch to Pepsi from other drinks.. Coke, Bottled Water, bottled ice coffee, etc. In short, God forbid, it's not all about YOU)

5. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Yowsa! So many opportunities to win free music, so much stuff that's bad for ya!

6. macrumors 6502

dont worry,, 100 million bottles of pepsi with 1 and 3 odds.. these are going to be around for a while and flood the market everywhere.. hang in there they will reach your area.

7. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I was just reading an article on CNN which says Coke is teaming up with MusicMatch (which we already knew) and Heineken is teaming up with whatever Real is offering. The pepsi/iTunes one is the only one that really does anything for me though... while I don't have a Pepsi or Coke preference I do have a Mac sooo... MusicMatch obviously doesn't do anything for me... and I don't drink beer and wouldn't use Real's thing on any platform.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/02/02/pepsi.itunes.ad.ap/index.html

8. macrumors regular

Steamboatwillie

Re: Free Music

Same here in Memphis <sigh>

9. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

In the Northern Virginia area (Herndon/Reston) we have nothing yet too.

10. macrumors 65816

jholzner

No iTMS Pepsi bottles her in Champaign-Urbana Illinois yet either but I can wait, I'm patient...I'll just keep drinking coke until they showup. I am more excited about the McDonalds give away though. Apple just keeps the momentum going. iTMS on windows, AOL deal, Pepsi deal, McDonalds deal, HP deal....just keeps going. This is great!

11. macrumors 6502

nothing in san francisco

12. macrumors 65816

Stike

If the amount of 1 billion songs given away via the McD. deal remains true, I would bet a chewing gum that it is intended for the Europe/Canada/somewhere else launch of iTMS...

13. macrumors regular

The McDonalds deal is huge, and much more important that Pepsi -- the McDonalds' demographic is older, more family-oriented, more "middle-American" than Pepsi, and gives the opportunity to expand iTunes to that market. (If rumour is true, it's also a much larger deal money-wise.)

I really don't understand teaming up with a beer company -- that seems like the kiss of death marketing-wise (especially an older-skewing beer like Heineken).

Given all the marketing push that Apple is doing, I really hope it drags out its (alleged) talks with Microsoft about format interoperability -- in six months, the question may be moot.

14. macrumors newbie

McDonald's

I suspect that if the McDonald's promotion is true, we won't hear an offical peep about it until after the Pepsi promo has expired. Apple doesn't want to upstage the Pepsi promotion right now and risk pissing off a potentially valuable promotional partner.

15. macrumors member

It's common for companies to react to a dynamite promotion offered by a competitor by trying to emulate it. Rarely, however, do they achieve the success of the company who first thought up the promo.

Coke is merely trying to minimize loss of market share to Pepsi and placate shareholders by saying they actually did something. As for Heineken, maybe they think the success that Pepsi will have can be duplicated in the alcoholic beverage market.

Anyway, Coke certainly didn't enhace its image with consumers by loudly announcing their new music download site and then have it not work for 2 days.

16. macrumors regular

7-11 is offering Slurpees with this promotion, and Big Gulps (32oz cups).

Cool thing- if you don't like Pepsi, don't worry! Big Gulp you can pick from about 20 flavors of soda and iced tea, etc. and slurpees have about 4-6 flavors at 7-11 (they're icees)

17. macrumors member

Re: McDonald's

McDonald's has an exclusive beverage contract with Coke... so I'm sure your suspicion is right on target. Pepsi would be quite annoyed if their potential customers had the option to receive free iTunes downloads in a place where Pepsi is forbidden at the same time that a Pepsi-iTunes promo was underway!

18. macrumors 6502

Nope. Nothing in Auburn, NY. Everything is well stocked here with Pepsi bottles with no promotoion at all. Isn't Feb the shortest month of all to have a contest? I'll be mad when the contest is over and our local lame-arse Pepsi people put the iTunes give away into rotation.

19. macrumors 6502

Disclaimer: I'm aware that the following comes off as self-righteous, and business is business, but it comes from the heart so save your flames.

Pepsi? McDonalds? Big Gulps? What's next, tobbaco companies? Apple is centering themselves directly in the heart of fat America. Very sad to see.

The earlier comment about convincing people to switch to pepsi from bottled water is especially disturbing.

Ugh...

20. macrumors regular

People who have iPods or that use iTMS don't drink piss-water Heineken, makes me gag just thinking about it. Give me a Bud bottle anyday of the week and twice on sunday over that crap- that said,

is this giveaway "Atkins Approved"??

(sorry I had to throw that in there-we have been getting bombarded with commercials in NYC for all this different fast food that has always been s!@t that's now "good for you" coz it's Atkins Approved-been bothering me a lot lately.)

or is it just a plot to make our teeth rot out and get real fat with big McDonalds zits (the kind you get after eating there-happened to me everytime until I read Fast Food Nation) so we can't leave the house and all we can manage to do is sit in front of the computer and drink pepsi while downloading music and slurping down Big Mac's special sauce??

*edit* whoops about the heineken comment-they have nothing to do with iTMS-still a crappy beer though, you get my point.

21. macrumors 6502

This entire campaign can backfire on Apple if their customers die before they have a chance to buy an iPod.

Next look for free iTMS download codes in the middle of your next rock of cocaine.

I'm all for promotion and this will ultimately do a lot to make Apple the dominant music player for the long term, but yikes. I really wish that Apple would use their powers to promote healthier lifestyles. Clearly Apple is taking dead-aim at the teen crowd with this and I suspect that they will hit their mark.

However, I'm rather surprised that this alleged promotion isn't with YUM Brands.

22. macrumors newbie

Dear, oh dear...

OT (couldn't resist):

You actually drink Budweiser? Now that is piss, to be sure. In fact, all the beer made in America is piss, if you ask me. Canadians start drinking beer that would curl your socks when we turn 10 years old. In fact it's mandatory. I love living in a country that offers tax breaks for alcohol expenses.

Now excuse me while I enjoy my micro-brewed India Pale Ale from the nationally-reknowned brew pub down the street. Comes in a 650ml bottle. 8%, I think...

Is it bad that it is only 8:12am?

[/taunt]

;-)

23. macrumors member

Someone told me that they were supposed to appear on Thursday of this week. Whether that is true or not I don't know but I'm sure they will be available by weekend shopping trip time.

24. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

1) In the Portland, Oregon Metropolitan Area, there are Zero 20oz, Zero 1L, Zero Big Gulps on this promotion. In Vancouver, Washington in fact, the 20oz are still on their damn "lucky 20" that they have been on since at least 1995. (1 free 20oz out of every 20.

2) Just so people know, SODA IS NOT BAD FOR YOU!!! As long as you still work out, eat well, and drink water soda, in any quanity, will not harm you at all.

I for one hope Apple does not market with an evil corporation like McD's, they ARE the M$ of fast food. They should team up with the YUM! brands (Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, A&W, KFC, and Long John Silvers), at least there they sell Pepsi, not Crap.

TEG

25. macrumors member

mainemike

I hear ya. Fully one third of Americans are obese. With these promos, we now have yet another reason to sit on our duffs in front of the computer while eating fries and drinking sodas.

:eek:

PS - tried to cash in my first Pepsi iTune last night and thought I could apply the free song towards a full album....can't.
    No biggie, though I don't see why it should matter? A song is a song, eh?