More pointless ramblings

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Deepshade, Jun 18, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Only one I've seen is....

10.6.4 now recognizes the i7 980x. (posted in thread Cindori Custom: Building an i7 Hackintosh by ValSalva)

Note: without wishing to upset anyone - can we please post info only - rather than have another collection of posts discussing everything :)

---------------
    Renamed thread
    from - Significant pointers to new MacPro release
    I really can't see the point in starting or having a thread to pull together the most salient points if it just turns into another pile of individual conversational notes.
    My apologies to those who posted something relevant.

2. macrumors 68020

That's what I'm talking about! Cool find!

3. macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yes, here is the link.

Hopefully this is an indication of upcoming support for a new Mac Pro with a hexacore processor. Unsure if the new kernel hexacore support is only for the i7 980x and not for a Xeon one. Hopefully Tonymac didn't mention Xeons only because few who build a hackintosh use Xeons, although some do.

4. macrumors 603

VirtualRain

This is the most credible rumor I've seen... (published March 18th)

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...h_led_cinema_display_dodeca_core_mac_pro.html

5. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wonder if they looked for any new machine identifiers or GPUs in there, or was this it.

With new machines Running 10.6.4.x

6. macrumors 6502a

I heard the new Mac Pro will be the first desktop to have a high speed Josephson circuit logic.

7. macrumors 68000

That stuff will probably be in a special build the MP ships with. Apple often does that to prevent 10.*.* releases from giving away new hardware.

8. macrumors 6502

Can't wait.... although I'm wondering whether or not to wait for sandy bridge, and pray for lightpipe, usb3, pciexpress3.0 etc.

9. macrumors 6502a

Is lightpeak supposed to replace SATA? Will it be faster?

10. macrumors 603

Mac Pro or targeted at a iMac update coming this Fall ? The refernced article says support for all Core-i3/i5/i7 models (not explicit, specific support the 980x.) . That would include any likely updates coming for iMac that are quite a bit under what the 980x footprint and price would require.

There is little advantage of the 980x over the 3680 since they are exactly the same price. Apple has never used the "extreme" anything, nor is the "extreme" line particularly price competitive against entry Xeon parts on price. Why would the Mac Pro ( which is suppose to support much larger than average RAM footprints) dump ECC in a "pro" box ?

P.S. It only makes sense if Intel is planning to leave the gap under the 3680 permanently open (there won't be 3620-3640 like offerings). At that point Apple would be forced to separate the SP and DP models. Not particularly going to lead to any huge price cuts ... just going to get less since the non Xeon offerings deliver less.

11. macrumors 6502a

Yes, they did; the Core 2 Duo Extreme in, I think it was, the last white iMacs.

12. macrumors 65816

From Wikipedia:

"It is intended as a single universal replacement for current buses such as SCSI, SATA, USB, FireWire, PCI Express and HDMI."

13. macrumors 65816

Wrong and right. They used the Core 2 Duo Extreme (X7900) in the first aluminium iMac (24" model)

14. macrumors 6502a

Ah, you got me. ;) But I said I wasn't sure.

15. macrumors 603

VirtualRain

It was a nice try. :)

16. macrumors 68030

haha most threads end up like that :(

17. macrumors 603

As an option, not as a standard component of a "base , better , best" line up. It was in the priced higher than "best" custom config. However, yes technically have used it once; didn't look back through all the options sorry about that. They haven't been inclined to go with that option when there have been alternatives. It isn't like they have product lines every year built around Intel "extreme" offerings. Price/performance+features the "extreme" tend to be less than other intel offerings. Extremely popular with the tweaker crowd, but not particularly cost effective.