More Powerbook Paint Photos

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ewwhite, May 4, 2002.

1. ewwhite macrumors newbie

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That’s terrible! :eek: I didn’t realise what a problem it was on the old TiBooks.
    I’m looking to getting a Ghz TiBook when they are released, could one of you guys with the TiBook 800 let us know if you see any problems like this? If you could that would be great. :D

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

O_O

that really makes me want to considere a dell now

or a Pismo

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Neither AlphaTech nor myself nor anyone else here on the boards has seen this sort of paint problems.

I've had my 400 since October and I've seen NO paint blistering/bubbling. The only chipped spot I have is on one hinge where it must have gotten scratched/bumped.

Like we said before, you're either mistreating it, or subjecting it to some weird operating conditions.

5. ewwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

This only affects the 550/667 DVD models introduced in October. You're so quick to blame the user.... This is obviously a defect. The operating conditions are within reason - Chicago - I'm posting this to urge people with similar issues to contact Apple, as I'm one of the first to bring this to the attention of the Apple engineers.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm pretty sure that Alpha had a 550...Alpha?

I just can't believe that Apple would let a problem like that slip through their QC.

7. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not true. I have a 667 and it's doing many of the same things, including the weird green spots around the DVD drive (which I'm very curious about). My amateur guess at this point is that the paint can't deal with the level of heat generated by the 667. It's also worse in the spot where I rest my hand while using the trackpad.

I'm not as concerned about it as ewwhite is, because things you use a lot tend not to stay nice and pristine. It's how the machine works that matters, and my PB seems to be working just fine. I'm seriously considering stripping the bubbly paint off the carbon fiber parts. I think it would look fairly decent with the natural black carbon fiber instead.

8. ewwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't concerned about it until I realized that other people didn't have so much wear on their machines. You may be right about the heat issue, though. Since I started paying attention to my Powerbook's behavior, I've noticed that the fan is continuously on and the battery life (under OS X) has dwindled from 2.5 hours to 1.75 hours on a full charge.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm sorry, I must be mistaken.

I could have sworn we had some people with those models that weren't seeing similar problems...especially if Apple is saying that this is the first they've heard of it.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I've found that if I turn the brightness down to one notch above off while I'm using the battery I can get around 4 hours. Otherwise I only get 3 or less. I also got a second battery, so I try to rotate them every now and then.

Another tip I've heard is that you need to let the battery/tibook recallibrate by running the battery all the way down and then recharging it completely.

11. ewwhite thread starter macrumors newbie

Based on the comments in several threads on Apple's own discussion forum, this problem seems to be isolated to a certain batch of Ti550/667 purchased between November and January without combo drives (plain DVD models).

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Now that I'm not seeing. My battery life is fine. One thing I've done is to attach one of those after-market cyber3 handles to my PB, which gives me a handle and gets the base up off the desktop when I'm working (which provides more heat dissipation).

In the end, I guess if you manage to get a class action suit or something that will replace my 667 with an 800 or something, let me know. :) But for a reference, feel free to point Apple techs to my comments on this thread. Having flawless paint isn't worth being without my PB for however long it takes, though.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a Nov/Dec 667 DVD TiPB, I was supposed to have recieved it in October, but it got stolen off the docks at FedEx and they had to custom make me another one! It took over a month to get Apple and FedEx to get the story straight and then another couple weeks to get it out to me. I was sooo pissed at the time, but I guess I got lucky after all.:D I haven't noticed any of the same problems.

One thing, did you buy the off the shelf version or the custom made to order one? That might make a difference as well.

14. jaykk macrumors 6502a

I have a TiBook 550 Mhz

I didnt notice any problem either in my Ti 550 Mhz DVD Version (not a combo) bought about 6 months go.

15. 240vac macrumors newbie

I have a November 667 Powerbook, and I have the same paint issues. They aren't quite as bad as ewwhite's, and are in different places, but have been getting worse quite quickly over the last month. I bought the TiPaint kit, but haven't had time to apply it yet.

Even if Apple could do something about it, I don't know how I'd survive even a few days without my Powerbook ... although, if they were to replace it with one of the new models (dream on!) I guess I'd find a way...

16. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Alright.... as the unofficial Macrumors Mechanical Engineer, my estimate based on the photos and description of "green" stuff is that what we are talking about is filiform corrosion.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, you've named it, but what good does that do us. What should we know or what can you tell us about filiform corrosion?

18. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Good point. knowing what it is in not any help without a solution. I am not certain that what we are seeing is corrosion. Some of the pictures look very much like corrosion, others not so much. I am interested to know if the picture entitled "Texture" is from the palm rest. the salt from your hands would accelerate corrosion.

Corrosion is an anode/cathode reaction, just like a battery. The surface of titanium reacts with its environment and corrodes. we can passivate titanium to make it less reactive to its environment. titanium is quite corrosion resistant, so i doubt it is corroding, but it could be.

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The parts with green on them aren't titanium. They're carbon fiber, which (obviously) isn't itself subject to corrosion. What's corroding is the paint itself (the lighter paint). Furthermore, titanium is highly resistant to most common sources of corrosion, and titanium dioxide is mostly transparent.

20. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Wrong. I wonder how much you really understand about corrosion. How many different types of carbon fiber do you think there are? While carbon may be happy and stable, carbon fiber is definitely subject to corrosion (please remember corrosion does not mean just "rust", which is iron oxide). See http://www.corrosionsource.com/index.htm for a reference.

Further, for corrosion to occur, an anode/cathode reaction needs to take place. Paint may have metal particles in it that can take part in such a reaction, but in general, paint is used to inhibit corrosion, as well as other surface treatments.

Corrosion of titanium, often yields a white by-product.

None of this is really on point, I just get frustrated when peeps throw down statements without evidence or sources. Do you have an references for your conclusions?

I really would like to help solve this problem. At this point it seems like just a cosmetic feature and does not seem to be inhibiting mechanical/electrical function.

21. Vilacr macrumors regular

Since buffsldr is the unofficial ME I guess that makes me the unofficial ChE ( chemical engineer) In doing chemical reactions and such I must agree with buffsldr. Everything he has stated is true.

22. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Admittedly you're sending me back (depressingly far back) to my college years (I did start off in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering) and making me do some research (mostly in how carbon fiber plastics can take part in corrosion reactions), but because I've got the TiBook right here I still don't think that's what is happening. The corrosion seems to be on the paint surface, rather than bleeding up from beneath as it would in filiform corrosion. Not to say it necessarily doesn't happen, but I have not been able to locate any references to filiform corrosion occuring on a coated CF surface the way it can on painted metal surfaces. What I've found has focused more on the problems with carbon fiber plastics accelerating corrosion in metal components in contact. The titanium doesn't seem to be involved, both because there is no titanium in the area in question, and because titanium does not seem to have any common reactions at roughly room temperature whose products are green.

Of course paint is frequently used for protection of corrosion-prone surfaces, but I'm pretty sure the lighter-colored paint on the TiBook is cosmetic in nature (this is an Apple product, after all), and I still believe, from what I've seen, that it is the paint itself (a component of the paint, rather) which is reacting. The fact that it happens only on a specific lot of them suggests to me possibly a bad run of paint.

The main thing I'm still curious about is why it seems to happen around the DVD slot more than other parts. I wouldn't suspect oils from fingers because the area around the latch release button (which arguably has much more contact with my fingers than the DVD slot) exhibits no discoloration.

23. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Neither of my PBG4s have this problem.

It would seem you got a dodgy unit, or since its your 3rd bad unit that you do not treat them correctly.

Ensign

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my Rev. A from last March didn't do this either...

I'm under the assumption there was a problem with the Rev. B line...

ewwhite...u should really contact Apple...it's still under warranty right??