more powerbook questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joeyjojoe, Sep 3, 2003.

1. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

So I'm almsot certain I'm switching, but I'm still having some doubts and I haven't spent enough time in the Apple store to answer my own questions.

Basically, I was wondering if the powerbook is fast enough for normal tasks (email, internet, word processing, downloading, music, etc.). I'm sure that it is, but I can't get a handle on how well the G4 handles multitasking (i.e. if I tried to do all the normal tasks at the same time). Can anyone comment about that?

FYI, I'm not a "troll", so don't treat me like one. I'm hoping that a powerbook will be exactly what I'm looking for.

2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Re: more powerbook questions

A PowerBook is great for multitasking, all normal tasks will run fast. As we speak I have Mail, Safari, iChat, iTunes and Word open and everything is running up to speed. PB's are definitely worth it for the speed boost. I'm glad you're switching!

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Yup, multitasking is not an issue; I'm using a 667 Mhz DVI powerbook, and currently running AOL Instant Messenger, Safari, Toast Titanium (and burning a CD with it), Quicktime, and Poisoned, a filesharing app. There's no slowdown or anything going on

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: more powerbook questions

-joeyjojoe

You will have more that enough power to do single and multitask the needs you list - way more than enough. As for the multitasking question, due to the fact that OS X is essentially a pretty face of one of the original and most mature UNIX's (BSD), you probably won't find better multitasking elsewhere.

To illustrate, I do all of these things simultaniously along with editing video with Final Cut Express, rendering in Electric Image, and creating titles in Photoshop on my 12"PB with 640mb RAM. That's right around the point where I start seeing a little stress.

You will be fine - and happy.

Feel free to ask more specific questions should you think of them.

And don't worry, you won't be taken as a troll. Those are easy as the gist of the words are essentially "you suck because [insert accusation here without evidence to support]". You asked a good question.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

How often patrick0brien takes the words right out of my keyboard....

Perfect answer.

6. bobpensik macrumors regular

man i just recieved my 12' PB today and i am a switcher, and i am in the process of transfering all my files from my PC to my mac, and i am transfering over 8gigs of info over my network and i am amazed at how good this thing multitasks!! it is amazing!!

I am currently copying 8 gigs of music, listening to music, surfing the internet, using my IM client, and exploring what the mac can do, all at speeds that seem quicker then my PC (P4 1.3 Ghz, 60GB, 256MB)

Like i said i am used to Windows, and when you have something going you CAN'T do anyhting else, but this thing lets me do endless thigns at once!!! truly an incredible machine! i am far more impressed then i ever thought i would be!

You won't be dissappointed if you get a PB, i know i am not!

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i used to have a TiBook 667, and that was good on all fronts. i only sold it in July in anticipation of new PowerBooks at WWDC... but i wish i had kept it now, and i think i'd still be happy with a 667.

8. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

i have a 12" PB, and it multitasks very well. I routinely do lots of normal tasks at the same time, and I haven't even added any extra RAM yet ('m hoping I can hold out until the price on 1GB chips drops down to ~$250ish).

9. joeyjojoe thread starter macrumors regular

well your responses sound great. i was a bit worried thinking about how my current computer (AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz) seems to have slowed with time. A lot of this is my fault since I'm running so many programs and haven't bothered to clean up the computer, but I was thinking the same would happen with the Mac. AND if it were slower (at least on paper) to start with, then later on I would have some issues.

But your comments indicate the processor is more than fast enough for what I normally do. Thanks for your help.

10. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Good luck with the switch, it should be good fun.

You do have to maintain OSX else it too will turn a bit peculiar over time, but it is so easy and should become second nature.

Get into the habit of repairing permissions before and after installing new applications (ie go to Utilities>Disk Utility>select drive>First Aid>Repair disk permissions).

Unless you leave the PB on overnight, download freebie utilities MacJanitor or Cocktail from Versiontracker.com and do the daily, weekly and monthly clean up tasks that OSX would do automatically in the middle of the night. The daily task takes about 30 seconds including launching and turning off.

The multi task that most impressed an anti Mac friend of mine was burning music while listening to it, whilst mucking about with photos and surfing. I wouldnt usually do that, just let the thing burn, but sometimes the doubters who prejudge Macs based on their PC´s inadequacies need to know that what they are rubbishing is actually a great bit of kit in terms of getting a lot of things done. Of course if you only play games, a Mac owner is probably best advised to admit defeat...

11. Stojamow macrumors regular

I am also planning to switch. Probably a 15" PB :D

I have couple of reasons to do so.

1) I will get MORE for my money (if we do not discuss processor speeds... I think there is no proper way to compare two different systems)

2) It looks SOOOO great & is lighter as I plan to take my laptop constantly on the road...

However, what worries me a bit is that I will run a professional videoediting software on it (the computer will be purchased for this) and what I think is that do it have enough raw power to perform well enough?!?

It is obvious that I do not get a performance of a desktop but I still want a reasonable performance.

What do you think guys ?!?

12. Alte22a macrumors 6502

15" PB Its a baby, I own a 1Ghz, its fine. My one is always pshed to the limits but its ok... I can edit videos and make DVD menus its perfect. I am still using my Dual G4 500 as a desktop. I think G4 PB are fine, saying that my gf bought the 12" a few weks back and she's very happy.

13. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MacsRgr8

Fast as fast can be, you'll never catch me! :D

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-joeyjojoe

The main cause of this is something that I've heard called "haystacking" of the registry. In a nutshell the registry become inaccurate and is attempting to keep track of processes that no longer exist. It is caused by add/removing a lot of apps over time.

OS X has no registry, so it will be as fast five years into the future as it is now.

-Stojamow

Absolutely. Every one of the officers of the Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group (CHIFCPUG) - with the exception of Billy Sheahan, have TiBooks, and not the most reacent 1ghz ones either (667's I think). Oh, Billy has the very first 17"PB to be delivered to Chicago.

Sure, you won't be able to run 50 video tracks with 50 audio tracks simultaniously, but then, I've never seen the need...

15. flahiker macrumors member

VPC??

I am also seriously considering switching. Right now I have a 450Mhz AMD k6-2 desktop and a 550Mhz AMD Compaq laptop.

I have looked at most of the applications I use and can find Mac / GNU equilivants. The notable exceptions are my EDA tools. Orcad, Cadence Spectra, Aldec Active HDL, Xilinx and other FPGA vendor software, Embedded cross compilers, etc... Basically all of my engineering tools.

I figure I will have to keep a windoze box and my 450 runs most of the tools just fine. The tools are not all that graphic intensive, so GPU performance is not an issue.

The question is how well would VPC be at keeping up (mainly GUI) on these tools? It would be nice to have access to these tools remotely.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If it runs on an AMD 450MHz computer, it'll probably run on VPC just fine. Although there are certain things you should do in order to maximize the speed of VPC.

Keep the VPC window maximized. This will make the GUI faster. Also, buy a Win98 or Win2k version of VPC, not WinXP. The WinXP version is the slowest, while Win98 is the fastest version. There are other ways to make VPC faster, but they have slipped my mind.

17. joeyjojoe thread starter macrumors regular

patrick0brien,

yeah you are right. not only that, but i somehow have managed to write a program that causes and increased number of "cache miss", along with some random programs creating memory leaks. all of this would be fixed with a reformat and reinstall, i'm just not bothered if i know i'm buying a powerbook.
    -----
    flahiker,

i'm in the same boat you are (i'm an EE also), but there are some mac versions of the programs you talked about ... or unix versions which i assume the mac can run.
    -----

one more question, so VPC emulates a Wintel environment? Is it reliable? Do I need to purchase it or will it come with the computer? Sorry, the last time I was immersed in mac knowledge was elementary school (GO MAC CLASSIC).

18. flahiker macrumors member

ee tools

I am not certain about the Mac versions of eda tools. Any links, names would be appreciated. As far as Unix versions go, NO the Mac cannot run them unless they are compiled specifically for the PPC platform. If they are GNU based, then you can recompile the source and run them under X11.

Also there is a cost issue when considering EDA tools on Unix. Vendors assume multi-user so the liscensing fees go up by a factor of 10. Plan on having a PC box for them.