More Powerbook questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JCorn2, Jul 26, 2004.

1. JCorn2 macrumors member

Hey everyone...
    Once more... I am torn apart with this decision between 12 and 15 inch powerbook. Either way... I will upgrade to at least 768mb and an 80 gb hard drive. I am going to be a student in the fall and will have the computer stationed mainly at a desk albeit a bit of travel on holidays. Any help making the decision would be greatly appreciated.
    Joe

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

It's all personal preference. I have the fifteen, and I can't imagine doing my work (FCP, graphics) with a tiny little 12. Unless portability is a HUGE issue for you, get the 15 and enjoy the screen real-estate.

3. C-Mezak macrumors regular

C-Mezak

If you're going to travel, no question that the 12" offers a better experience. I just bought mine for my upcoming studies in the UK and Im glad I went with something so portable and elegant. You'll save a fair bit of money, too, and why not put that toward a nice external monitor if you're worried about screen space. Honestly, though, the 12" screen rarely gets in the way.

Of course the 15" has some options that arent available on the 12" (backlit keys, 1.5 Ghz cpu, more space for RAM), but unless you're doing heavy duty movie editing or gaming, the specs of the 12" should be plenty. That ram will really round out our machine's power.

Good luck!
    Charlie

4. dav macrumors 6502

Screen Size, Power vs. Portability, Price

You choose.

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would say get the 15" because it has a lot of features you can't get on the 12". It's also more powerfull. It's not hard to travel with but having the 12" for traveling is nice. I would still get the 15" because of the screen, it really makes a difference. Super powerfull and portable all at the same time.

6. the future macrumors 6502a

One more vote for the 15". It's very portable IMO.

7. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

It is an important decision. If you are going to spend hours & hours at a desk staring at a screen you may want the 15". Screen real estate is very important if you are working in excel, Photoshop, Illustr, Dreamweaver etc...

Go to a store that has both side by side and you will see a great difference.

I personally have the 12" and it is my mobile unit, but I am thinking about jumping to the 15".

8. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

I've used the 15" for about three years now and its been fine for my main computer. However, if you get a 12" i would think you would want to hook it up to an external monitor if you do any work. Hmmm, well, maybe you would be ok with it since you'll just be writing papers and viewing movies along with internet right? I love the portability of the 12". It seems so cool. All that power in a little computer...however if your not going to do anything super intensive like graphics or music than i would get an ibook. So there you have it. The larger monitor will be great for serious work unless you get an external but do you really want to do that? That route seems like a lot of money. Anyway, small screen and ibook if your just writing papers an things. 15" for serious work unless you want the portability of the 12" and hook it up to an external when its time to get serious...both of best worlds.