More PowerBook Talk

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

PowerPage claims to have heard that the PowerBooks are due this week, with specs including a 1.25GHz G4, right-sided ports, FW800 and nVidia video cards.

They also hint at a fourth product introduction this week, beyond (presumably) the three new PowerBooks.

2. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

So many PowerBook rumors, I think my head will explode!

*pop*

3. macrumors 6502

Sigh

This accounts for our weekly powerbook rumor from some unheard-of source.....:eek:

4. macrumors regular

Oh please.... come on... I hope they aren't going to put nVidia cards in the ENTIRE line!?!? ATI has them beat, at the moment, so why not put ATI's cards in there.... grrrr...

Come on Apple, don't disappoint me... I've been waiting too dang long.....

I say, they should give us the option of ATI or nVidia.... that would be fair....

5. macrumors member

does anyone know how hard it is to swap out a video card in the powerbooks? Perhaps you could mod it and void your warranty.

6. macrumors member

$50 says that we'll be disappointed with nVidia video cards come tomorrow. I don't mind the minimal speed bumps, but the nVidia crap is going to be a big let down.....

7. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't know, I've been waiting since April to get a new 15"AlBook but with all these little disappointments I hear, I am not so sure anymore...my G3 can last me another semester of college...by then maybe we'd get a nice ATi Radeon...maybe a G5...maybe faster than 1x Superdrive...and most definitely Panther. I know Apple was going to release these months ago, but you'd think they'd be able to do something so when it is released it won't be stuck with hardware from a few months ago.

8. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...laptops generally tend to have the graphics chip directly on the motherboard - swapping them is not really an option.....oh yeah!

9. macrumors regular

I don't know. Nvidia is putting out some great products. There demos at Siggraph were incredible. That being said, I don't know which model will be making it in to a laptop.

10. macrumors newbie

Hopefully Apple will use ATi Mobile 9600 which support direct x 9.0 If not how are we suppose to play games like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 (even though I don't think those games are coming out for macs).

P.S. Finally broke down and bought a 12" with $200 bucks rebate with an iPod. If Apple update tomorrow, I wonder if the store will let me return it

11. macrumors member

Maybe because they use OpenGL, not crappy DirectX?

Doom 3 is definitely Mac-bound; I have no clue about HL2.

12. macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I won't mind Apple putting nVidia chips in the PowerBooks, provided they are the 440 Go and 420 Go as they are now.
    The GeForce FX Go 5600 and 5200 are both cards that I think would be great to see in the PowerBooks. From reviews I've read, they sound far better and far more reliable than their previous mobile chips.
    We'd probably see the 5200 in the 12" and the 5600 in the other two models. I wonder, though, if they will still have only 32 and 64 MB of RAM, or if they'll be able to put in 64 and 128 MB chips.

Well, hopefully when I wake up, there will be more information.

13. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well I've seen two mobile chips from nVidia that support up to 128 megs RAM, so it can't be that impossible to add. Then again, the G5s ship with 64 meg cards standard, so it'd be odd if the PowerBooks would be given better video cards. Who knows, I guess I am in for one long and restless night.

14. macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Just a thought as to possible specs for the high end 15" and 17" models. Probably just a fool's hope, but nonetheless....

1.33 GHZ PowerPC G4 Processor
    1 GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    80 GB Ultra ATA 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    128 MB nVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5600 graphics chip
    Ambient Light Sensor
    SuperDrive (2X DVD-R)
    USB 2.0 Ports (2)
    FireWire 800 Port
    FireWire 400 Port
    Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
    v.92 56Kbps internal modem
    DVI connection port
    PCI Card slot
    AirPort Extreme
    S-Video Port
    Line In port
    Audio Out port

Maybe Apple will even start carrying 1 GB chips for their portables, so maybe it could support up to 2 GB RAM.

And damn it, I think I'll be an insomniac right their with you, Mr. PowerBook G5

15. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It all seems reasonable, except, I doubt a 7200 rpm HD will be standard in any laptops for quite some time. It would be nice to get a gig of RAM and 128 meg GPUs, too, but that would eclipse the stock specs of the PowerMacs by twice as much memory in both instances. I'd like to see specs similar to that, though, and it seems like it could be for the most part possible. We'll just have to wait and find out.

16. macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Not just do we get an unsubstantiated Powerbook rumor, but we also get a mystery "fourth announcement"! Wow! :rolleyes:

I can't help but wonder if the folks at PowerPage have considered that this "fourth announcement" (assuming they've actually got some kinda "source") is the shipping G5s? Apple's certainly made a nice big deal about that.

While I believe Think Secret's report more than PowerPage's, I hope PowerPage is right. The sooner all three Powerbooks are announced, the sooner these unsubstantiated Powerbook rumors can stop.

Then the unsubstantiated iBook rumors can begin. ;)

17. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I don't care anymore what the specs are. Just do something. Wake the PowerBook up from its coma.

18. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It will never end...if they are updated for today/tomorrow (depending on your time zone), then by Wednesday we will be going crazy over iBooks...then after they are updated we will go crazy over new iMacs...then...(does anyone get excited over the eMacs?) I guess the next revisions of the PowerMacs again...followed by G5 PowerBooks and G4 iBooks...never ends...never ever. It does make life more interesting, though, seeing so many people go crazy over updates (although I do admit that I am being driven insane myself).

19. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

How about some 5400 RPM drives at least? I would like Apple to at least catch up to the standards of today.

A 1.25 GHz processor and an NVIDIA card would be an incredible dissapointment to me. If they don't bump up the screen size, it will have been a sad 9-10 month wait.

20. macrumors regular

No matter what Apple puts out it can't possibly be as ugly or flimsy and cheap feeling as the new Dell line. Has anyone tried the Inspiron 8500? It's like the Millenium Falcon... Fast, but "What a piece of junk!"

I know this has been said, but I'd like to see intelligent dual-processors. Shut one off on battery power, turn it back on when on AC. That would be REALLY COOL!!

21. macrumors regular

Nothing will happen today. Probably not this week. All press will be about the G5 for awhile. unfortunately, Apple has to milk it for all it is worth.

Plus they don't ahve anything that great for the Powerbooks anyway.

Although I am buying the next 15inch they release...

22. macrumors regular

ATi

Didn't ATi just get the xbox account? Don't all things xbox say contractually exclusive? Nvidia may be the only ones playing fair...
    also... I remember nvidia and IBM talkin 'bout something....fishkill maybe?
    edit:
    here's something...
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11002

23. macrumors G5

nagromme

With the G5 shipping thing on Apple's home page, Thu/Fri seems more likely then Tue to me.

I'm inclined to believe ThinkSecret that the new 12" will come later. They have a better track record than PowerPage.

Whatever comes out, I sure hope it has the 7457 G4.

(But I'll still be waiting for a G5 PowerBook with an absolute TOP end video board... which probably means 256 MB by that time.)

24. macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

To date, all laptops (that I've been familiar with, at least) have the graphics directly on the motherboard. There is a new mobil graphics technology from ATi that is supposed to take the graphics off the motherboard, thus allowing the possibility for future graphics upgrades. But, to the best of my knowledge, this is still in the catagory of rumor/vaporware.

25. macrumors regular

I'll guess the "fourth product" is iTunes and iTMS for Windows. The competition is heating up, so the timing would be good. Just a guess, though.