More PS3 craziness!? o_O

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, Jun 8, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Kutaragi Announces Plans To Confuse PS3 Gamers Even More

Sony Ireland Boss Says PS3 Might Lose

Harrison denies Wii influenced PS3 controller, says PCs unnecessary

2. macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm sorry, but "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC." is the single most stupid thing I have ever heard anyone say. I mean... There's hype and advertising and there is that.
    I don't need a PowerBook. I have an empty can of Fanta with DVI output.

The Irish guy is funny. I'd like Sony Wales to say something next :D
    ... Ireland has a Sony boss?! Isn't there only 1 or 2 million people in Ireland or something mini like that?

The upgradability is a good thing, not for people who go out and buy a faster Cell chip but that there might be more premium versions that perhaps allow 1080p in every game?
    Sony seriously let me down when I heard that not every game will be 1080p, infact has any game been announced as 1080p? I thought it would have been something uber powerful. but instead it's little more than a 360 (still powerful but... y'know. no supercomputer).

Anyone know when Sony will stop chatting out their arses and start making their system vaguely marketable? I'd settle for not completely overshooting their targets and position in the market. Supercomputer my bum. I won't need a PC? riiiiiight.

3. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The "We do not need the PC" line has been taken out of context by most IMHO.

As I understand it, he was talking about the fact that most computer functions can be done on the PS3, because it runs Linux. Only problem with Linux? The lack of:
    A) Professional apps from companies like Adobe
    B) Games.

It's a PS3, so games are there. So for casual users, assuming Sony can package it up in a user friendly way, the PS3 actually will be usable as a PC. While it's unlikely to REPLACE their PC's (he never said that), look at the XBox 360- you have to use a Windows PC for half the functions (streaming and getting the videos on it) while PS3 is rather standalone.

If he actually believes the PS3 will replace the PC, he's an idiot.

4. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Outside of Japan, Ireland has the biggest per capita of PS2 ownership.
    The irish guy is right though, here the shops are even pissed off, they are not willing to take a huge stock of 520-650 Euro consoles and the general consensus of 'caution' is here, and thats stating it nicely. A 620-650 euro console is too much, simply too too much.

Dont flame saying its 599, as in Ireland we pay a higher premium ALWAYS compared to the rest of Europe even though we are in the Eurozone...

Sony can call it all they want, it will ONLY be ever perceived by the mass majority as a console.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm sorry, but for how he described it, no, no it is not a good thing. Imagine having to look at a PS3 game to ensure you meet the "minimum reqiurements"! Rubbish.

And since that would just be completely awful, it probably wouldn't happen... meaning everything would be dev'ed for the low-spec machine.. making it nearly pointless to have other "configurations".

6. macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno, it's good to me in that if I DO buy a PS3 it will defenitely be late in the machines life. Meaning faster, cooler Cell chips. Plus I could whole heartedly laugh at early adopters with their slower and less compatible PS3's.

... Or would this just keep the PS3 price up? If they are constantly upgrading the chips inside then instead of prices going down - they would remain the same to compensate. Unlike 360 and Wii chips that remain the same through the machines lifespan.

Ok. Bad thing.

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Well to me, it would be like having a console that was just like a PC... needing upgraded all the time... meh.

8. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's ridiculous.

The whole point of a console is that its all in one and doesnt need upgrading and your safe to run your games on for its entire lifespan.

Creating a console with scalable levels because you plan to update it is really annoying to the 100th degree.....

More and more reason to avoid ps3 altogether.

9. macrumors Core

Dagless

But it's 4D. four-deeeeee.
    and it's better than any of your macs at any given point.
    and it has the bluray and the cell.

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm Sold.

11. macrumors Core

Dagless

Nah, all silliness aside. Sony will fall back to realistic street eventually. Right now they just seem to be running a scorched earth on their gaming division. like they've been taken over by I dunno... 3DO?

12. macrumors regular

I can't put any stock in that "interview." They aren't even sure if that's the real translation or not. I also get the impression that it's Kutaragi's words mixed in with speculation as to what it is he means. But again, who knows, because the quality of the translation is dubious. And even if they were to release something like PS3.5, would developers even bother to try to take advantage of the enhanced capability when most of the user base has PS3.0? Historically, add-ons and upgrades have failed, and this is why. Sony could upgrade later versions of the PS3 any way they wanted, but only first party games would be likely to make use of the upgrades.

13. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Of course, perhaps they have designed the PS3 in such a way that for future generations they can simply extend the platform without need to re-design it.

So for PS4 they would be able to beef up the Cell (more cells, etc) add memory, and put in a new GPU. Then developers wouldn't have to relearn development at all and they would retain their full backwards-compatibility with ease.

This would be a very good plan I'd think, as long as it was executed properly.

14. macrumors 6502

"The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

Yeh id like to see this guy try to type a thesis on a PS3.

Lets face it for 90% of computer use today (word proc, prof apps (vid/graphics editing), internet) the PS3 would suck horribly
    ...unless they bring out a keyboard and mouse....even then i doubt many people want to do word proc on their TV

15. macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Then what the heck does "We do not need the PC mean?" Seriously, it's going to be freakin' hype bullcrap. I'm sorry that you actually think that they are going to put an operational and useable version of Linux on the PS3, but it will not happen if they have any sanity and understanding of cheaters. Look at how many PS2 games are full of cheaters? Ever tried to play a game of SOCOM? With your supposed Linux version, it would be a living hell. Sorry bud, ain't gonna happen.

16. macrumors 68020

srobert

Sony is starting to annoy me with their arrogance. Sure, I love the PlayStation but I could do without the Ego and the words placed into my mouth.

Let's not even talk about Sony BGM…

17. macrumors 6502a

bokdol

lol many consols have been upgradable.
    just think since the sega geneses/megadrive.
    they had the sega cd upgrade.
    the 32 x udrade.

nintendo 64 had the zipdrive attachment and the memory modual to make things faster.

the sega saturn had a 4 meg cartridge to play 2d fighting games better.

the dreamcast has the removable modem.

the gamecube has like 3 ports that people have no idea what they are for.
    except on to put on the gba add on.

the ps2 had the hd port for an upgrade with modem.

and the xbox 360 has the hd port.

while most consoles dont need upgrading. most can be upgraded in some way.

think of how awesome and giant the ps3 can be with something like a 32x addon to improve graphics to be super real. hell in a few years it will be as big as the render farms at pixar.

18. macrumors regular

I think that there has been more disappointment in the PS3 than any system I've seen in a long time. Not that I'm going to buy one (360 FTW biaaa biaaa), but most message boards have nothing but complainers about how the PS3 is so expensive, how the lower end model is going to suck without HDMI and a hard drive, and so forth. And the funny thing is that unless you pay $700 (after tax) for the higher-end model, you won't get a descent gaming system. What a rip off!

19. thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The problem with this is that those systems that had actual upgrades (not just an accessories like a modem/hdd) have been complete failures.

32X? Sega CD? 64DD?

20. macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Apparently you don't know that the PS2 had a Linux kit, complete with keyboard and mouse. With the PS3 you'll be able to use a bluetooth or USB keyboard and mouse. No worries there my friend.

As for the interview in the original post, I agree that it's shady. More FUD if you ask me.

21. macrumors Core

Dagless

Nicely compiled list, but have you noticed how any of those failed to take off? (edit, thanks Haoshiro, i should proabably read the full thread before opening up a new Quote window)
    the only upgradable machine (other than a PC) I have seen do fairly well was the Amiga desktop workstations. But that's like buying a PowerMac as a word processor. Incidentally, it lost Commodore a lot of money. alright so it didn't do well!

22. macrumors 6502a

bokdol

yes they were.........

but i did have the monstrousity that was the orrginial wide body genesis with the lower cd attachment and the 32x add on. it was soo much bigger then any xbox or ps3 and i loved it. even if the 32x sucked balls.

23. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

All those add ons FAILED so what's your point? :)

Oh wait I get you. You agree with me that an upgradeable CONSOLE is generally utter BOLLOX! And has the past proves, inevitably dies a horrible death.

24. macrumors 68000

I don't get that comment, because all the way through the rest of their marketing crap, they're telling me that it's not just a PS3, but a supercomputer, video editor and a sandwich toaster as well :confused:

25. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

They are having real difficulty of where to go and where to promote this to. After the inevitable christmas panic, Sony are going to be in some serious hot water....