More PS3 launch trouble?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I didn't read the full link but hasn't this already been posted here? 400k for US 100k for Japan?

3. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

What's new? It sounds like the same number we were talking about earlier today. Did I miss something?

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

no but the op did ;)

Only joking. I think we should limit the bad Sony news to 1 item a day. They are just being greedy at this stage :)

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I hope this is false rumors because that was one of the last 2 selling point the PS3 had for me. (The other being exclusive games). :(

Actually… it was SONY's main selling argument and only real advantage over the 360. That can't be true right? We've travelled a long way since the dual 1080p video output.

7. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

that would be crazy.

now if only they could get more blue lazers. that seems to be the holdup.

the funny thing is that if there were enough blue lasers, they would have a CPU or GPU availbility issue. these systems are so cutting edge, they can't make enough of the parts.

doh

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

"We are the HD Era" or something like that. Anyway you spin it it was just hyperbole to a sickening degree.

I love how Sony span all this BS and now the launch is getting closer they're announcing a few truths. About frickin time. Wonder how much they'll spin their next console? It's a little pathetic they have to lie so much to get attention, but great that they're getting the negative press they deserve for it.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm not surprised. I posted again long ago that 1080p in games would be scarce with most games only - 720p/1080i

Like i've always said - Sony have stated to developers 1080p is 100% NOT a mandatory resolution unlike 720p is on the 360... Because of that it's obvious most games will be at 720p/1080i.... especially considering most TV's dont even do 1080p and those that do cost a small fortune....

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Meanwhile those of us who are interested in HD gaming have been having a great time since Nov of 2005.... ;)

I take a fair amount of perverse pleasure in seeing Sony taken down a few notches. It was BS when it was announced, it was BS when they showed the "actual in game footage," and it's BS now. Nice to see them getting called on it.

But remember, no matter what happens, it's a SUPER COMPUTER! :d

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In that article the posters comment an ign article saying "resistance fall of man" runs in 1080p. However if you read the interview, insomniac say its 720p now at 30fps, and they are 'aiming' for 1080p.... THAT DOES NOT MEAN ITS 1080p - and if its only 30fps at 720p the chances the final product pushing 1080p is slim.....

Just thought I'd correct them here before someone else posts the article...

12. Mrjynx macrumors member

heh, yea i've had my 360 since launch day to and it's literally breathed new life to my dust collecting HDTV. After hooking the 360 up, it was like I just bought a new TV!!

Sucks for Sony though, it'll still sell out at launch day but the price and they're stupid focus on keeping closed standards for their products(ie. blu-ray, UMD, etc) is going to screw them in the end. I still have high hopes for the PS3, but in reality most if not all of the games I would like to play are going to be on the 360..

Also there's maybe a handful of 1080p sets that is true 1080p, so maybe in 2012 that feature will be a better selling point. Until then, it's just an oversized 360 (game wise that is)

MrJynx

13. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I posted this in another Sony PS3 thread but I'll post it here too b/c I think it's a great article:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.09/sony.html

Regardless of whether or not the PS3 is awesome or terrible I think all this negative press has lost them a lot of potential buyers. I am one of them. I had originally planned on getting a Wii and PS3 and really wanted Blu-Ray to win out versus HD-DVD. But after the price, the delays, the controller, the design.....negative thing after negative thing there is no way I will buy one. At this point I'd just like to see the PS3 fail so we can be down to 2 consoles and 1 format for high definition video. Sony reminds me of MTV.....all hype.
    In the meantime I am loving my 360 and will get a Wii on launch.....and an HD drive for the 360 when it comes out.

14. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Ugh. This is going to be a lot uglier than the XBox 360 launch.

15. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I told this to everyone months ago when i said you won't be able to find a PS3 untill way after 2007 and everyone acted like I kicked a puppy.
    "I was right I was right" quote jokey smurf

16. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Lots of people get blinded by faith, I guess.

I just assumed the PS3 launch was going to be as bad as the XBox 360 launch. I never expected it to get *this* bad, though.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Really? It's been the impression of MRU and myself too, we've been saying 2007. I laughed at every opportunity when the "global launch" was mentioned knowing Sony's "can't be arsed" with Europe attitude.

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Seriously. :)

I have no real problem with Sony, but this whole PS3 mess is, frankly, embarassing. Between the high price of the PS3 and the apparent superiority of HD-DVD over Blu-Ray, I see no reason at this point why I should (or will) buy a PS3... not even to get a "cheap" Blu-Ray player.

It's actually a super DUPER computer. :p

19. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Super Duper Idea Of Launch Date!

Now we know the wii wiLL be released before November 11 since Nintendo said they will launch it before the PS3.
    And i dont think that nintendo would launch the system within 2-3 weeks before the PS3, so im looking forward to an early october launch!

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

They haven't even started taking preorders for it ANYWHERE, as far as I know... so I don't think it'll be released until Thanksgiving at the earliest.

21. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Well waht can I say, I have beena an avid Sony/Playstation fan since the very 1st PS1, but this is just appauling, I mean, firstly I thought it was a huge blow whent they said thta the 20Gb model would lose out on features, then there was the runmours about the games not really being in 1080p, its just a farce. I've refused to buy an XBOX/360, Gamecube, and even the Wii, but this might have just put it over the edge for me, it's just wrong.

Sony have been arrogant about this console for ages, "HD gaming, blah blah doens't start until we say so" and all that bollocks, well sorry guys, Microsoft started early!

Even though I wasn't going to buy a PS3 till next spring because of price and availability, that would mean I would have to wait even longer! So I'm just gonna wait for the XBOX360 to come down in price, and get one, I'm sorry Sony, but you f**ked up big time!

With any luck, we'll see the PS4 quite early now and they will have learnt their lesson; theres no coming back for them now witht the PS3!

Cheers

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I've heard few places taking pre-orders, but Nintendo has said before thanksgiving, so I'm hoping them keep their word

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I was referring to Sony, actually. :)

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'll say again, GAME are running "register your interest" in PS3 and Wii. I haven't signed up but it's either for pre-orders or for pre-orders of pre-orders.

I thought preorders only existed for when demand for a system would be huge and stock so little? I never saw or heard of a single Cube, Xbox or PS2 preorder when they came to Europe. 360, PSP and DS all had them. it's hard to say, especially as Nintendo are stockpiling the Wii for a big launch.