More ram and new HDD for iBook? perhaps?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iBunny, Jul 13, 2005.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I am looking at increasing the longetivity of my iBook G4 1.33Ghz until the New Intel Powermacs come out early next year.

Right now I have 768MB of ram (Got the extra 512 as soon as I bought the iBook) I was thinking about getting a 1GB stick for this ( we all know the more ram the better)

I usually run out of ram when viewing webpages with many images or heavly flash based.

Also, I would like to get a 7200RPM Hard Drive. I dont need space, But I am concerned with Speed. It seems like anything I do disk intensive is horribly slow. Not worried about heat and power consumption....

So what do you all think? The upgrade would only cost be less than 300$ and what not. Is it worth it?

Thanks

2. ak004m macrumors newbie

sorry i cant realy help you with any advice on the subject, but was wondering where you can get the hard drive update on the ibook as i am in a similar situation to yourself

3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I wouldn't reccommend upgrading the iBook Hard Drive yourself. It's very difficult as there are many screws, and most people end up having a few left over. Also it voids the warrenty. You could have an Apple Technician do it, but that's going to cost you more money, and you might be limited to what drives you can install. (Depends on the technician) I would skip the hard drive, but the RAM is a good idea.

If you really want to upgrade the hard drive, you might think about a external firewire drive.

As for where to buy the upgrades, OWC is good.