More Ram???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BPK1984, May 17, 2004.

1. BPK1984 macrumors newbie

May 16, 2004
    I'm about to order my first mac. A 14" ibook 1.2GHZ,Superdrive, 60 gigs, Airport Extreme built-in, and 256 megs of ram. I plan to use this for internet, email, watching dvds, microsoft office, garageband, itunes, iphoto, and for occasional dvd burning. Is 256 megs of ram sufficient, or should i upgrade to 512 megs? Also is bluetooth worth the extra 50$???
  2. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003

if you will use it for that purposes only, I would think 512Mb is ideal, 256 is just not enough according to my opinion, especially when you want to use several progs at the same time.
    But for garageband I recommend even more ram (when you want to spend the money)

BT, well do you have a BT mobile you want to connect or a BT PDA? maybe using a BT mouse can come in handy sometimes...

so if you want to consider one of those go for the BT odule, its more practical than using a USB variant, because that one you need to plug in when you need it and they are not so small... so you need to remove them for transport...
  3. reaper macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    make sure to look at the option of getting additional ram from a third-party vendor like and weigh the cost of upgrading from apple to the cost of adding after buying. usually, apple is more expensive.

btw, 256 is not really enough. get at least 512 in there and you'll be a lot happier.

- reaper