More Revolution Info

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Apr 26, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Not sure how many of you have seen this, but it was news to me. It's a "semi-confirmed rumor" I'd say... Anyways, supposedly the nunchuku attachment for the Rev controll has some motion sensing abilities as well. It's not on the same wireless locator system as the main controller, but rather has a set of accelerometers to detect if the unit is being tilted left or right or forward or backwards. It sounds like a 2D range of motion, whereas the wand works in a 3D range.

Sounds pretty cool, I can see it being useful for FPS immediately, with the left-right tilt for a lean/peak move. The F-B motion could be used for reloading, changing weapons, throwing a grenade, etc.

I'm sure there are 1000 other uses for a second motion sensor, even if it is limited compared to the first. For the record, here's the article making this claim: http://revolution.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=6601

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If thats true, it's certainly possible, then :) The more gesture-like enhancements the Rev controller has the less buttons it's going to need and ease in porting over the more complex FPS games.

After reading that site though I don't think that this is going to be the BIG unrevealed feature that Nintendo are touting. Which I'm now thinking is something beyond hardware (huge launch line up? free game bundled in box?).

3. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Ya me neither. I couldn't see this as being the ultra secret feature of the rev. A new unannounced version of Zelda free with every rev anyone? Now that would be great:rolleyes:

4. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'd love it if they harkened back to the days of NES bundle and had:

Revolution System Bundle:
    - Revolution System
    - 2 "Wand" Controllers
    - 1 or 2 Nunchaku attachments
    - "Light Gun" Controller Shell
    - SMB/Duck Hunt free (for Virtual Console)
    - Duck Hunt 2
    - DS Attachment (Play your DS games on Rev)

Sure DH2 might be kind of silly but I think it would be a cool small pack in game, plus the inclusion of the original pack-in for NES.

Chances of this happening? Ultra Slim I'd say! :D

5. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm, I always got the impression that the "surprise feature" was definately hardware. Specifically, it was more with the controller...
    I can't remember what all the subsiquent hints were like, if they were more vague, or if they pointed other directions, etc. I'm guessing that this IS the big secret they were going to reveal at E3, but let's hope not. It's cool, but not really that incredible in light of the already announced features of the controller.

If it's a controller feature, I'm hoping for some sort of mic on the controller, both for voice commands and chat communication. I know they were downplaying the mic features, since they "had done that with the GC and DS already" but I'd like to see it.

If it's hardware, non-controller related, I'd like to hear them announce an optional upscaler. A good upscaling DVD player can make a 480i signal look even better at 1080i/720p, and taking a true 480p signal up to HD levels over an all digital (HDMI or DVI) signal could actually make a pretty nice picture. Not real HD quality, but it would be better than nothing, assuming the upscaler hardware is high quality.

If it's non-hardware, well I think it can't a software announcement, as they've announced almost everything you could think of - online play, downloadable games for NON Nintendo systems, etc. So it'd have to be a "marketing" announcement, like system price, bundles, or early release.

Sounds like they've firmed up the release window pretty much as November-ish, so that leaves price and bundles. It'd be shocking to see them go with a super super low price, like $99, but doesn't seem to fit with the hints. They could bundle a ton of stuff (controllers, games, free downloads) with the system and sell it for $199, which I suppose is a possibility. A "get everything you need for one LOW price" campaign.

Guess we will find out in, what, 2 weeks or so?

6. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, there's some more Rev rumors, putting it on an early release track for September, as opposed to the November date that most people put it on. The same rumor also hinted at ~20 launch titles, one of which being Zelda:TP as a GC game wich can use the Rev controller.

Nothing Earth shattering, but September+Zelda+Virtual Console (assuming Apple iTMS like purchasing and good prices)+>$200 for a decent Rev bundle = better start saving my pennies now!

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Just remember, this is a rumor; until we hear directly from Nintendo, it remains as such. That site isn't exactly a huge site with tons of resources; we can't know how true it is.

Now, I would be completely unsurprised if it's true, and hope it is :) I've actually theorized that myself, based on the fact that a number of devs have talked about dual weilding and stuff like that but I didn't think most games would require you to buy two controllers.

Just don't think it's confirmed.

8. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

If this is true, it would be perfect for Zelda games.

Think this: You use the sword with the wand and control the shield with the attachement.

Imagine the immersion!

GAH!

I get more and more giddy over this system...

9. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Dual weilding is the way to go, IMO. What devs are you talking about? I hadn't read much on this, or are you talking about personal conversations?

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ubisoft in the latest issue of game informer IIRC, and I've heard others but can't think of specifics off the top of my head.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Any additional features they add to the new Nintendo Wii controls is great...i hope it is tru.

Bless

12. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's an interview over at 1up, which I am too lazy to find again and link, that mentions the gyroscopic nunchucku, and asks if that was the "big secret". The interviewee (can't recall who, someone official and with Nintendo, not a 3rd party) more or less said that if that was all you are expecting that you are in for a surprise.

They then go on to hint that they (1up) know the secret, and it's a pretty big deal.

So, any speculation? I can't honestly say that I have any idea what it could be. There was some talk about "floor vision" which I assumed to mean projectors that would put something on the floor while you played, but I can't see that being very usefull, since even the DS with it's screens 1/4" apart is tough to focus on both.

I suppose there is the off chance they could be bundling LCD shutter classes or glasses polarized lenses for a true 3D thing, but that seems overly gimmicky, and I can't see them doing it.

So, any ideas? I know Jimmi thinks something with software or marketing/bundling, but the wording of these recent hints make it sound like a feature of the system.

Hey, here's a novel idea I haven't heard yet: What if the sensor bar thing that you are supposed to put by your TV for the controllers is also a set of speakers, one on each end point outward. Set it up so that everyone has a specialized surround sound type system with the machine and take 3d/interactive sound to the next level.

Good 3d/positional sound can make a pretty big difference in game immersion, and there are some pretty impressive things you can do with just 2 speakers if they are setup with a know angle from the listener and a known seperation, etc. both of which would be true if they were part of the sensor bar thingy.

Dunno, just starting to get really curious/excited about what this next revelation is and hoping I'm not let down.

13. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Speakers sound cool, (though not the secret I would be hoping for), but would that work with multiple people?

The article you talked about is posted and being discussed in the long Nintendo Wii thread.

14. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, it was mentioned briefly, but since the main thrust of that conversation was the name and reactions to it, it was overlooked a bit. Figured this was a better place to talk about potential new features.

As far as multiple players, it would work in a non split screen environment, but once you have any kind of split screen multiplayer it wouldn't be all that great. On the other hand, sound of any kind in split screen gaming sucks.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye that recent article has changed my mind too. Though I do think there will be some "new" steps on the non-hardware front, I think a bundle of some sort is a certainty. They seemed to stop with bundles, but think about it, a bundled game is going to be in 100% of Wii households. So it's going to be something universal and it's going to be something to showcase the system. I think a freshened up Duck Hunt and Mario 128 are on the cards. All else failing, 3 free game downloads.

I think a mic in the controller is a given. I mean The DS put the idea out and the GC even used it for a number of games. Though that's not revolutionary.

Curse me all you want and throw battery figures to your hearts content. But I'm even thinking directional force feedback. Compliments the style of the controller I'd say.

16. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Yup, I agree with the bundling. My logic is one price. A lot of developers said they thought Nintendo could get these out the door for $149, but a lot of analyst thought it would be a bad move, "cheapening" the systems image. So take a $149 system, add $50-75 worth of extras and sell it for $200. I think that since Mario 128 has been in development for 8 years or whatever, maybe you're right with that being a bundle. An udated Duck Hunt would be awesome, as well. Free downloads are a certaintly, if you ask me.

I'd LOVE to see a force feedback setup on the controller, but the physics just aren't really possible, from what I uderstand. Both on the power needed to spin up a gyro and keep it going, to the amount of force it could generate with the given mass.

Now, I think you're on the right trackm what about a tactive force feedback? What if, say, the controller has the ability to change shape in varying amounts in defferent areas? Some small air bladders, and some sliding/retracting bit placed along the sides/bottom of the controller... coupled with a rumble pack it could make some seriously interesting effects...

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Using a magic application and the best psychics known to man. I've compiled a rough guess at what the Wii's secret power is.

[​IMG]

18. kineticpast macrumors member

Force feedback has actually already been confirmed this week by Nintendo of Canada's Director of Marketing, Pierre-Paul Trepanier. Exactly what form of force feedback is unknown though. The interview was in French so he could have just been referring to a rumble feature, though the translation indicates otherwise. He also mentions that battery power was the biggest hurdle in the past, but that was overcome.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's a translation thing. Rumble actually IS "force feedback".

People are just jumping at shadows.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, the rumor in the OP about accelerometers in the nunchuck attachment has been (unofficially)...

CONFIRMED!

EA made a slip-up.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703727p2.html

and

21. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Excellent! I always thought it was a horrible idea to have an attachment that did not detect any movement. Once I heard what it did all the games I imaged were with two wands instead of wand + attachment.

Gotta say it again, I can't wait for the Re. . . . Wii! (btw, I like the name now, though I still like Rev too)

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Top dog :) the more things they cram into that controller the better. I'm really hoping they go to town completely, bundle 2 Wii controllers in the box and sell them individually for £30-40. Make a controller worth the money for once. Mic, accelerometer.

... hold up. Does the wand controller have an accelerometer, I knew about gryoscopes but I remember folk having a go because it didn't have an accelerometer? hmm.

23. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

depends on the price... for 149 or 179 i think 2 controllers are out... but for 199 i think they can fit it in... after all iwata said at TGS that they are thinking if they bundle it with 1 or 2 controllers

2 would be ideal since for example when you over to a friend you never have to worry about getting together the 4 controllers or it would help developers since they can develop games with two controllers in mind right from the start

sadly i think we might not be informed about bundle sizes at e3 .. i guess it's too early

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Dunno about that. Sure I heard somewhere that they were considering putting 2 controllers in there, seeing that some games might need 2 at once.

*reads previous post* yea so it was Iwata.

I hope they do charge about £150, stick a game and 2 controllers in there. Though I don't know, it's the Wii. I'd be willing to pay any realistic amount :)