more shipped G5 info - from newtek/lightwave

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 3G4N, Aug 9, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

2. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Well, he said G4, yet specs are G5 specs.

Is this guy just an independent artist? Seems so...

arn

3. macrumors regular

he also said geforce 4, and i didn't think that the g5 would accept the non 8x agp geforce 4s.....

4. thread starter macrumors regular

He's got a studio with 3 offices in Bahrain and Qatar. His father is a well-known artist, connected to mid-east royalty.

NewTek uses talented artists to pimp their sw. Their marketing consists of lots of artist highlights and interviews -- "why do you use lightwave?". They also typically "pay" these artists in sw and hw.

I don't know much about the PM G5 but, (as long as the drivers work) couldn't you stick a 2x or 4x agp, or pci, geforce 4 card in there? That would seem a likely test-precursor to the shipping FX cards with similar drivers.

I swore it said G5, but I c/p'd "G4". d'oh!
    I must've just seen the other specs and ...

5. macrumors regular

as far as i've heard, you need an 8x agp card... ie, 8x is not backwards compatible... though i wish it were, as i could keep my geforce 4 ti, and not get shell out the money for the 9800...

6. macrumors 68000

Veldek

7. macrumors 6502a

crenz

Yes, I think that is the correct interpretation. Note he doesn't say "2x2 GHz" or "Dual 2 GHz", but "2 GHz Dualprocessor". And he says G4.

8. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

They can always build you a custom computer man. IF you are willing to pay around $300,000.00 they will make a dual 3 GHZ G4 just for you. As long as it is a prototype, it's not a problem. Making a mass production is. I bet right now they already have Dual 3+ Ghz G5 prototype.

9. macrumors 68020

daveL

No, you can use 4x AGP. In fact, I believe the standard graphics offered on the G5, including the 9800, are 4x/2x, not 8x. ATI 9800 specs say: "AGP 4x or 2x capable Macintosh®"

10. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so the geforce 4 ti should work in it eh? that would be good news, though i think at this point i'm resigned to getting the 9800 and selling the ti... almost make up the difference.

11. macrumors 6502a

He also makes it sound like the 70 scsi is internal,so that makes it a G4,and not a G5.I also think if he has cash to burn he would have an ATI 9800 already.