More smoking restrictions?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by KingYaba, Oct 11, 2006.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...smoking_27met.ART.State.Edition2.3ea7151.html

I agree, let the law of supply and demand take care of that. Not another freakin' city ordinance.

This just rubs me the wrong way. If smoking is that bad, then why not push for legislation outlawing all tobacco products? Oh wait... money. :p

Some business owners have invested a lot of money to cater to the smoking crowd. If you feel so offended by smokers, then steer clear of the restaurant! Goddamn, lay off.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As a former smoker of 20 years.. I say good job, keep messing with smokers.

Despite being legistaled against, taxed heavily, and educated to the health risks, Smokers continue to work VERY hard to remain smokers.

Time to get a clue and quit then? :rolleyes:

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree yellow. Make it as hard as possible on the smokers to kill themselves. All this is just trying to prevent slow suicide in a way. You want to kill yourself or severly adversely affect your overall health? Fine, if you don't have any respect for your body, we'll make you pay for it. :cool:

And you still want to smoke? Kay, then do it in the confines of your own home where it cannot affect others second-hand. Don't spread cancer and lung disease - it's just not nice. :cool:

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As do I.

I couldn't care less about people smoking themselves to death. I do care about the associated rising health care costs that get passed on to me, as well as having to deal with the unpleasantness and unhealthiness of cigarette smoke when it's around me. So... I agree with any measures to reduce smoking and would prefer to see it banned altogether.

I'm very open-minded about people doing what they want in their own homes, etc. - unless it affects my health and/or my wallet. Smoking affects both.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Smoking, unlike just about any other legally allowed habit, endangers people other than the person smoking, yet people continue to feel that it's a personal right to smoke in public?

Aside from the healthcare costs previously mentioned, I'm sick of seeing cigarette butts all over beaches and forest trails and everywhere else. Why is it that people have no issue with throwing hundreds of butts on the ground every year? I'd love to see someone pulled over for littering when they do that.

6. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I quit on Friday... stop the congrats

I quit smoking cold turkey on Friday... no looking back. It just had to be done. But I do have to agree that this is a personal choice. In fact there are studies that show all the anti-smoking pontification could actually contribute and cause people to smoke and not quit.

This comes from a University of California study. Anybody who tries to quit understands the following:

As for telling children how bad smoking is, go for it as a parent. But be aware, their logic sees popular people on TV, etc, smoking all the time. "Hmm... if this is so bad for you, and these people are doing it, it must really feel good." A tough road to hoe.

Please, everybody, including the government, just back off. Personal choice is what this nation is built on. Let the market speak for itself.

7. shecky Guest

shecky

you want to smoke? go for it. you want to pay a lot of money to die a slow, painful and stupid death then i say go for it. but i prefer to live, so i should not have to breathe even a wisp of secondhand smoke in any public "non-smoking" place. you want to open up a "smoking" bar thats fine, i wont go near it. but i do not want to walk out of a non-smoking restaurant and have to breathe in 2nd-hand smoke from some idiotic retard who needs his fix.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's my personal choice to spray AK-47 bullets into a crowd. Despite being legistaled against, taxed heavily, and aware of the health risks, I want to continue to do this in the public realm.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

By mid-next year all NSW pubs and clubs will be 100% smoke-free and I cannot wait. It's nowhere near as bad now as it used to be but I can't wait to finally come home after a night out and not have even the slightest hint of that god-awful smell that makes me vomit permeating my clothes.

And it does make me spew, violently. Awful, nasty, dangerous stuff.

10. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

That is illegal. Smoking is not. Comparing the smoking to shooting people with a gun is both moronic and sick.

Honeslty, it makes me want to blow smoke in your face. Fortunatley I can choose not to. Maybe you should choose to think before making sick comments like that.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not really. There's just MORE legislation against shooting people with a gun.
    But smoking kills FAR more people every year in the US.

Still moronic and sick?
    Working so hard to convince yourself that smoking is thumbs up, socially acceptable, healthy, tasty.. THAT is moronic and sick.

12. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I say there needs to be more of this. People chose to smoke, so there can be restrictions on where they can and there definitely need to be. People shouldn't be allowed to smoke wherever they want and if the cities want to keep indoors smoke-free, good for them.

13. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Im not for or against smoking.

I am only for the right to pursue happiness, as set forth in the Constitution, yes?

It is a right for every American to do as they please, within the confines of what is legal.

Smoking is legal, hence you should be able to smoke wherever you want to.

it is up to businesses themselves to enact rules about not smoking on their property etc.

for the govt to step in and say "hey, smoke all you want, just not here, or there, or there or within 50ft of there" is a bit too much control for my tastes.

If you want to smoke, go for it.

If you dont like people smoking around you, move upwind.

The most bizarre thing to me is that bars and clubs and the like, places where its EXPECTED to have smokers inside, have had to ban it according to local/state enacted laws/ordinances.

I mean, when you goto a bar or a club you damn well know people are going to be smoking in there, its part of the ambience if you will. If that bothers you, then dont go there and goto a place where they dont allow smoking inside. It shouldnt be YOUR choice for ME to say where I can and can not smoke.

Restaurants with smoking sections have been pretty much eliminated, and I had to agree with that, because its still an open room with just a "section" hence non smokers still get it, possibly on their food, gross.

14. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Proof?

You know, I try to please the anti-smoking nazis, I try to stay away from entrances while I smoke, and common walk ways, but I still get scoffs and complaints from people in open areas. Why, I was out in the grass in front of my office building yesterday, having a cigarette away from any walk ways or public seating areas, and this lady walks by me and says "You should put that out." I told her to go **** herself and watch where she's walking.

15. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Yep, still is... you are still wrong and your examples compare apples and oranges. What's really annoying are those that go to bars, get loaded on booze, slowely destroy their livers and, complain about smoking. But then, alocohol is legal now isn't it? Remember prohibition? That worked very well, didn't it?... as I said, if you are capable, think before you make statements like that. Choice is more powerful than legislation will ever be...

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Come on.. I don't need to put up links to that.

If you REALLY think there were more people killed in the US by guns than by smoking related diseases...

Then no amount of Google-Fu will ever convince you, therefore I shant waste my time.

Hello? Apple and oranges on the surface, clearly, but the effect is pretty much the same.
    Please stop insulting my intelligence.

You defeat your own argument. The point is.. there is legislation that says where smoking is "legal" and where isn't "not legal". So, in legally mandated smoking areas, go for it. Elsewhere, don't.

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

you're the one that brought it up, so prove it. I shouldn't have to search for your argument. You should be supporting your own argument.

18. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

This thread is tired. Enjoy your preaching...:D

5 days, no cigarettes, because I chose not to smoke!!!

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

After 20 years of 2+ pack a day smoking I quit cold turkey 355 days ago.
    My father is a larengectomy patient, as were both his parents (neither survived more than 12 months after the surgery. My grandfather continued to smoke THRU HIS NECK HOLE), and my grandmother didn't even smoke. It was all from 2nd hand smoke. But that doesn't exist. Kinda like global warming and eskimos.
    What do you think my chances as a smoker are for having my larynx removed later in life?
    I've earned the right to be on a soapbox.

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Okay, since yellow is being yellow:

The toll of deaths in the USA in 2003, the most recent statistics available, for deaths related to guns:

The toll for smoking: Actual number unknown because of lack of evidence, but they say 1,000 people a day. Which would mean 365,000 a year, if smoking WAS truly the killer, which no one can prove in these deaths. They attribute all sorts of cardiovascular diseases to these deaths, but how many are actually hereditary? Caused by other sources such as asbestos? They don't know. Statistics also show that 3000 teens start smoking every day, and smoking will kill over 1,000 of them.

I want to know who's coming up with these statistics, because they are out of their ****ing minds. Because that means that in ONE year, 1,095,000 teens will start smoking. Over ONE BILLION. How many teenagers are there in the world? MAYBE 2 Billion? So, ALL of the teenagers in the world should be completely addicted smokers by now.

So really, these stats they are coming up with can't really PROVE it. Where as killing with guns can be proven. This also doesn't count gun shot wounds, either.

21. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

Congrats on 355 days... I admire your fortitude.

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

no, I was arguing that there shouldnt be laws that say "its not legal here". And that smoking tobacco was legal in itself. I think you misinterpreted me.

the fact Uncle Sam lets me buy cigs legally (as opposed to marijuana etc), but then says I cant use them in certain places, thats messed up.

it should be up to LOCAL govt and PRIVATE businesses to decide how they want to treat smoking. NOT big govt.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

How many among you actually still choose to smoke? Being addicted to ciggarettes isn't choosing to smoke, you have a physical need to smoke because you're hooked on the nicotine.

It may have been a choice many years ago when you started but now it's anything but your own free will whether you light up or not.

Addiction is an illness, not a choice.

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I'm polite enough to actually smoke where it won't effect people like you, but apparently, that isn't good enough.