More suitable for server: higher-end G4 or lower end G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by seveej, Sep 4, 2012.

1. seveej macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2009
    Helsinki, Finland

Bored and frustrated with "dumb" home-NAS -boxes, I've decided to use some of the (relatively cheap) Apple PPC hardware to create a decent home network server: File serving for the home network (two laptops) and for archiving, web-serving some hobby-pages, iCal synchronization, some FTP and having a computer which can be tasked with continuous processes (something a mobile laptop is not suitable for)...

It's an old plan of mine, which lay dormant for a long time until i stumbled upon someone selling a MDD (Dual 1Ghz) with leopard server thrown in. The machine has been in 24/7 use for some years previously.

So I jumped on it. In my case the description "wind tunnel" was more than apt. I haven't had a machine that noisy since the time when I thought overclocking AMD Athlon's was a hoot.
    Anyway, I switched all critical fans (CPU and PSU), added some resonance-damping padding and the noise level is way down. Thanks to "nap", the CPU temperatures are acceptable (39C idle; 52C load) (25C ambient).

I made sure that the fans i installed into the PSU had comparable CFM's, but I'm slightly worried that the PSU might be running hot. Honestly, I did not test the PSU temps under continued load before the modification, but the exterior of the PSU is uncomfortably warm. I might further mod this...

Next stage, I got a Sonnet Sata-card and attached two 2TB- slow-spinning drives to it (software raid 1)

Eventually the machine is to be placed inside a biggish (2m3) cupboard with external ventilation (thus further mitigating noise). The cabling is already there

Now as the basic setting-up stage is nearing completion, I'm starting to wonder, If I should not have gone for a lower-end G5 in stead (SP 1,6-1,8).
    Considering that the biggest cost is in the large drives, I am still able to switch horses without much of a (financial) pain.

Specifically I'd like to hear of experiences with running a PM G4 or G5 on a 24/7 -basis.

Also one thing which interests me is the power consumption-aspect: Which one uses more watts?

And please, share anything you feel might be of interest.

Thanks in advance.
  2. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

Aug 7, 2008
    In OSX Snow Leopard / Godalming UK
    It will be more than enough, my server is run on a 1Ghz DP Xserve g4 (which i believe is based on the MDD) and i run a bit more than you are saying (2xHTTP, FTP, Wired, KDX, AFP, SMB, Torrents [Using both transmission and utorrent]).

I did also used to run it on a 400mhz sawtooth (was just AFP, HTTP, FTP & wired back then) and that ran fine also

(p.s. if you think the MDD is loud, try a xserve it's like putting your ear up to a jet engine :) )

Imo a G5 would be excessive for what you want to do, a dual G4 will be more than enough
  3. KingKen1986 macrumors regular

Aug 16, 2012
    Well I don't use it as a server but my 1.6 GHz PowerMac G5 runs 24/7 and I use it as my main computer. It is extremely stable and would make a great server. Only times I have restarted my PowerMac is when a program installation has required it and it has never locked up or let me down. So I can make a vote for lower end G5. And I picked up my system for only 50 bucks, so you can get them on the low. :D:apple::D