Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumorSkeptic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
Southern California
The fundamental idea of the original iPhone was to combine all the features of our many devices into "one". Abandonment of this concept, having the watch as an accessory to the phone, will be a giant leap backward! Incompatible with the philosophy of simplicity that Steve Jobs so ingeniously established.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
They are buying time without Steve Jobs, because without him, they're out of good ideas. It's not like Steve was just another Apple employee. He was a visionary. How do you replace a visionary? Market research? Hahaha... ya right. I see Apple coming up with more stupid products like the iWatch. Seriously, why would you need an iWatch if you have an iPhone? Let me update my contacts on my watch... wait, should I use my phone or watch??? They are almost mutually exclusive.

If they really want to eliminate the competition, they need to add more depth/complexity to their productivity apps like Pages, etc. to compete with Office and Google Apps... maybe change the auto industry too... and then there's payments, I mean, who in their right mind likes using a credit/debit card and having to answer stupid questions (is this the correct amount?) every time you buy something at the grocery store?

I'll quote you on this in 6 months.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I had PocketPCs and phones by Dell and Motorola and HP that were decidedly not junk long before the iPhone came out, that had superior voice quality and could do things then, a decade ago, that the iPhone still can't do. I could argue that iPhone dumbed down expectations and hindered growth and innovation overall because it started the trend towards people wanting new shiny instead of quality and capabilities.

----------

Drat! I'll see you in court MoFo!

And also I now own copyright to iTooth. And iEye.

I got iPacemaker and iProsthetic Limb.

----------

Earlier this year Eddy Cue touted that Apple had 'the best product pipeline' in 25 years coming this year'. So far we've seen -

1. Minor speed bump to laptops.
... And that's it.

Let's be clear hear, Cue openly said that 2014 would see more impressive products than in 2010(iPad), 2007(iPhone&iPod Touch), 2001(iPod) and 1998 (iMac).

What's going on?

I think what he meant was 2014 is going to have the best product pipeline in 25 years because it will have up-to-date versions of all its previous products. So technically that makes it the best pipeline ever. He was being a smarty pants and he's going to have a riot on his hands because of it.

----------

I cant get my head around the whole Smart Watch thing to be honest. I just cannot see myself using it for any "smart" purpose - I always carry my iPhone with me anyway, so why would I read an email off my watch if I can do it far more comfortably off my phone?

I dunno, I guess I'm missing the point, but I dont get it...

I would want it to make sure I don't miss notifications and to control music. That's it. Since it only adds minimal convenience, it will come down to cost for me.

----------

I don't see a purpose for an iWatch in my life. Just seems like one more gadget for the sake of having one more gadget. No real usefulness.

Between my iPhone and may Macs, I don't even have a use for an iPad.

See above for iWatch. For iPad I mostly use it for e-reading, and watching movies in bed. For me it's worth the extra device just for those.

Last edited:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
It makes great sense to release it like the iphone, months after its initial introduction. It needs to be in the hands of developers, trainers, healthcare professionals, it needs to be in the wild and put through it's paces before it touches any consumer's hand. They would be fools to release it otherwise.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
The fundamental idea of the original iPhone was to combine all the features of our many devices into "one". Abandonment of this concept, having the watch as an accessory to the phone, will be a giant leap backward! Incompatible with the philosophy of simplicity that Steve Jobs so ingeniously established.

No, that was the fundamental idea of a smartphone, coined sometime back in the last millennium with no input from SJ whatsoever.

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Any speculation about the iWatch: I am reluctant to believe. They simply have no evidence and can only base their assumptions based of previous first time product announcements and releases, such as the first iPhone etc. :apple:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
It's interesting that by the time the iPhone 6 is unveiled there won't be much that we don't know about it (the 4.7" version, anyway.) But not so for the iWatch. Either the announcement is further off or Apple has managed to keep the lid on leaks. But I sort of like the notion of not knowing all the details in advance - years ago, it was fun to actually hear about an Apple product for the first time at a keynote event.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Anyone who thinks Apple is going to release the iWatch at the iPhone event and steal the iPhone's thunder is silly. A new product launch like that will get an event of its own.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I think this is going to be Tim cooks first "one more thing" at the iPhone launch and they will announce it then start shipping in December in limited quantities

Ugh... there hasn't been a "one more thing" since a few years before Jobs died!

And what happened to "We have more new products in the piple line than ever before... and new product categories..."

Over a year later.... still waiting... for.... a new....product....category. Or a revised product that even feels new. The new mac pro is the closest and that's aimed at such a small percentage of apple users.

I do think that when this bloody wearable comes out though, it will be better looking than whats arrived so far. The moto watch actually looks good, but it's still lack luster in function.

For wearable to really take off, they need to be more than a glorified bluetooth accessory. Most of the things they do would be easier to do by grabbing your phone, that has to be near by anyway. Really hoping apple is an innovator again and does something...more.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
How many iWatch images are we gonna see before its announced ?

This ones the best so far...

But i anticipate more. .... and even another push back till 2016.

It keeps us all "in the loop" don't break the loop.

Big screen, but otherwise ok...... That's not to say i'm going to buy one... I just think they sux.. :)

CartoonCat

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2014
They are buying time without Steve Jobs, because without him, they're out of good ideas. It's not like Steve was just another Apple employee. He was a visionary. How do you replace a visionary? Market research? Hahaha... ya right. I see Apple coming up with more stupid products like the iWatch. Seriously, why would you need an iWatch if you have an iPhone? Let me update my contacts on my watch... wait, should I use my phone or watch??? They are almost mutually exclusive.

If they really want to eliminate the competition, they need to add more depth/complexity to their productivity apps like Pages, etc. to compete with Office and Google Apps... maybe change the auto industry too... and then there's payments, I mean, who in their right mind likes using a credit/debit card and having to answer stupid questions (is this the correct amount?) every time you buy something at the grocery store?

Steve Jobs never invented anything by himself. He had a knack for knowing which of the new ideas others came up with, would be "the next big thing". So in that respect he was a "Visionary". He was not an inventor.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Has anyone here got any clue what this rumored iWatch could be used for? Because as far as I can tell, this will be a strong contender for the "most useless gadget of the millenium"-award.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Earlier this year Eddy Cue touted that Apple had 'the best product pipeline' in 25 years coming this year'. So far we've seen -

1. Minor speed bump to laptops.
... And that's it.

Let's be clear hear, Cue openly said that 2014 would see more impressive products than in 2010(iPad), 2007(iPhone&iPod Touch), 2001(iPod) and 1998 (iMac).

What's going on?

There is still plenty of 2014 left?

henzpwnapple

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2009
so if the watch made by Apple (likely not named iWatch) looks like the one in this article and it is the only watch in the world, I rather not wearing one. :mad:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Tim Cook used the word "throughout". When did Eddy or Phil say that?

I think you are correct - Cue has been hyping the "later in the year and Phil's comment was the "can't innovate my ass".

So I aggregated all of them together - not the same but the key issue remains that time keeps rolling on and we have seen nothing new and exciting.

Aside from MacRumors participants, many important eyes are on Cook for this holiday season's introductions (new, exciting, new categories, game changing, whatever) and resulting financials.

I continue to hold my shares banking (literally) on Apple not having morphed into a Microsoft. We will know soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.