More than 4.7GB DVDs anyone?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jaykay, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Yeah, i was wondering where i would be able to get my hands on some DVD-Rs that are more than 4.7GB, the ones that are single sided dual layered. I looked but i cant find em.

Anybody able to help?

(P.S. im not using my superdrive for it)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's because tey don't exist, at least not for you an me. You can get dual sided single layered, but, you cannot get dual layered, and even if you could you wouldn't be able to write to them with any of the burners on the market.

3. Jaykay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

ah damnit, so how do you fit more than 4.7GB onto a single sided DVD then ( A la DVD Movies)?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Quite simply you don't, it is 4.7gb (actually in the real world probably ends up beeing less) and that's it, no more.
    I don't quite understand the question anyway, it's like saying how do I copy 20Gb of data to a 10gb hard drive, it just doesn't make sense :confused:

5. Jaykay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

no, what i mean is that i have found that if i was to look at the size of a DVD film i find (ie. The Matrix, you know normal films..) that it is often up to 6GB or more and from what i can see it only has one side (Thats my pathetic attempt at sarcasm).

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

its because they can print the commercial ones in dual layers. We can't do it with home equipment. You'd probably need to spend 10,000 bucks to do it. just use 2 DVD's, or use dual sided single layer DVD's if they do indeed exist (I don't have a super drive, so I have no idea personally)

7. Jaykay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Like This..

Attached Files:

8. Jaykay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Ok thanks, i think i'll just go with the two dvds thing or the two sided discs (*and they cant be used with the superdrive because they are in the cassette style things)

*Thats the two sided discs..

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ok, let me explain.
    The are 4 different types of DVD disc:

DVD 5 - 4.7Gb Single sided, single layered
    DVD 9 - 8.54Gb Single sided, dual layered
    DVD 10 - 9.4Gb Dual sided, single layered
    DVD 18 - 17.08Gb Dual sided, dual layered

Most DVD movies you buy will be DVD 9, 8.54Gb is normally enough for most films and a few extras, sometimes the film company might be cheap and make you turn the discs over half way though the film as they use DVD 10 becuase it is cheaper to produce a single layered disc with two sides than it is a single sided with dual layers.

10. Jaykay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

DVD-RAM are 2.7Gb per side, but you can get 2 sided which of course means they can hold 5.2Gb, but your better off with a regular DVD-R :)

12. Jaykay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

sorry about being a really annoying git, but just one more...

I have a DVD-RAM drive (fromQPS) that writes 9.4Gb, does that just mean that it writes on both side of the disc?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

My mistake. It seems that there are different versions of DVD-RAM. version 1.0 is 2.7Gb per side, and version 1.9/2.0 is 4.7Gb per side, both are available single or dual sided.

14. Jaykay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jaykay