Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
I have a MDD G4, and have a 17" apple LCD, and a CRT attached to the dual monitor card. If i put another video card in one of the PCI slots, would i then be able to have 3 independant monitors with no mirroring?

Has anyone tried this, or know if it is possible?

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
You should have no problem doing this. I don't know what the limit is, but I'm pretty sure it's above 8 monitors.

BEN

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
I used to run 3. 2 off a radeon 7000 and one of a rage 128 card. all were independent. all the room is great at first but it really started to hurt my eyes so I went back to just my 19". It was 2 15" and 1 19" and the 49" of screen staring me down was enough to hurt my eyes within an hour of steady use. my point is that it can be done but only do it if you really need to. I do have to admit though that is was cool to have a desktop that was 4160 pixels wide :)

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
I just thought of something. the radeon 7000 is the only currently made mac pci video card on the market so thats pretty much what you would have to buy. its a fine card for 2D and with it you could run 2 more screens for a total of 4.

jeff.macaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2003
Washington
Not that I can afford this, but say, if I somehow was able to, on a G4, which has 4 pci slots, or a G5, which has 3, would i be able to have a grand total of up to 10 monitors depending on the machine I was using? Becuase, if I could, that would be totally sweet.

Me....in my apartment....at the command station.....

I invision having some sort of shelving system to accomodate the 9 lcds i would use, cuz that would be cool looking. a 3x3 monitor setup. I know mathematically it could be 10, if it IS possible, but 9 is enough. I would have a few screens just for internet pages, one for itunes, one for games, a few for final cut pro....oh yeah

that is....if it's possible. right now i have a total of 4, well, only 2 hooked up now, but i am waitin to buy another card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.