More then one user name?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MacCast, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacCast macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

is it ok to have more than one user name/login? Do many of you post under two user names?

Cheers
    Andy

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think you'll find that having 2 usernames is against the forum rules. The few who have more than one usually do so since they forget/lose their log-in password and create a new account.

Intentionally posting under 2 names suggests more negative uses than positive ones.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I guess the obvious question here is "why?"
    What would be your reason/motive?

I can't answer for everyone, but I would say that the vast majority don't.
    This is a great community, and we get to know each other, so it seems pointless to post under different names. Seems confusing.

The only reasons I can think of right off hand would be deceptive, but I'm sure their could be legitimate reasons. I would be interested to hear yours.

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Applespider

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I tried to do it once -- I think because I was trying to post a personal/private question in the forums and my identity isn't exactly anonymous here. However, I wasn't able to register the second name, so I figured out the answer to the question on my own.

5. MacCast thread starter macrumors newbie

:(
    OK, I see. But is it officially against the rules? I read Arn's instructions and he is saying nothing in there.

:(

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I've thought about asking a personal question here as well, (I can't remember what it was) and I figured I would get another account to post this.

That is the only legit reason I can think of to do that.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's definitely against the rules irrespective of whether arn has mentioned it in that description.

However, this might be pretty ignorant, but what could one possibly do with two user names that warrants it against the rules? All I can think of is having a second one to back yourself up in arguments. Carry more on line weight pre se. That's pretty sad but it's surely not the only reason we can't have two user names.

By the way, I don't need, have never wanted and have never tried to get another user name. Despite mine being a mistake (I'm not Jewish, but most people would agree I'm mad), I've grown a bit fond of it. :)

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That was kind of my thought, in other words, having a convesation with yourself online without others being aware that you are either supporting yourself, or stirring up controversy by arguing with yourself.

Other than that, it could probably be used for other nefarious purposes like stalking, pranks, etc. without fear of losing your "real" account.

Of course there was the time that E was being stalked by a newbie Fox2005 and someone added an additional user name for themselves Fox2006 I think, to play on the stalker's moves. Don't remember who did that, but they had multiple names at the time.

That thread is Who is edesignuk really? in the Wasteland.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Hey MJ, what was your name supposed to be if this one is a mistake?

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yeah, once I realized that getting a second name wasn't as easy as just signing up again, I thought about it a bit and decided it wasn't worth the subterfuge necessary to get the account. Clearly the reason it's discouraged is to avoid exactly the sort of subterfuge you describe here. I can think of all sorts of other potential abuses. Generally not a good idea.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've never really thought about it. My brother set this one up (he's not Jewish either, go figure :confused: ) before I really had the chance to think of one. I'd probably go for something meek like The Greatest Poster In All The Land! however there might be a character limit.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just to confirm, no, it's not ok.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That wouldn't be much more fitting than mad jew.
    (sorry, I couldn't resist ;))

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    So you're breaking the rules by using someone else's account :eek:

;)

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks edesignuk, but can we have an explanation please. I understand if you don't want to post it for fear of encouraging forum misuse but otherwise a reason would be great. Thanks. :)

Yeah, thanks. :D

:D Uh oh. *quivers* I don't wanna get banned. :eek:

If I give him some money, would that be counted as buying it from him... Maybe I should just fight him for it...

For the record, he's never posted here before. Ever.

16. MacCast thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks for the clarification. Then I have to give this one up :( In other words - my last post as Maccast :(

BTW, the reason for having a second name was not to have discussions with myself but for other personal reasons I don't want to explain in detail.

Cheers
    Andy

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

18. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This sounds like the end of a bad comic book where the main character gives up his super-her identity to become just a regular Joe.

Is this the end of our hero? Will Maccast ever don his mask and tights again? Stay tuned, comic fans, for next month's double issue conclusion.

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hope this doesn't mean you are leaving.
    Let us know your new name when you get it.

Sorry, but it all sounds a little odd and suspicious to us, but we don't mean any harm or to be rude. Of course your privacy is your business.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

FYI

The forum policy regarding multiple accounts is expressly stated when you register a new account:

Forum Rules - log out to view

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.