More trouble choosing a mac! Agh!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolocity, Jun 28, 2002.

1. coolocity macrumors regular

Alright, the main reason I'm getting a mac is for some light video editing, nothing much. I've narrowed it down to either the new iMac, or an iBook. Since the iBook is portable (duh) it would be much easier for me to use - even though the iMac is a bit faster. I think you can power camera through firewire cables anyway (I think.. I know you can power the iPod like that.) Both are in my price range. I'm not looking for anything fancy, and I'm waiting till after MWNY, but I'm looking for your opinions.

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

I'd get the imac

even though the ibook has portability, the imac will probably be a lot faster for your needs

3. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

That was what I initially thought, but the iBooks are upgradable, no?

4. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

After you did some light video editing you'dd probably want to burn it on something.
    go for the imac with superdrive, I've been swearing often to myself, not choosing a superdrive mac, when I had the chance, now I need to get me a firewire superdrive (and that will be a dvd writer, not a fully superdrive)
    if I want to put all that nice footage I have here on disc.

Everytime when family or friends pass by I have to show them everything in front of the mac iso on the tv where it should be.
    That makes me feel that I did not fully succeed .

5. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, when they do develop superdrives and put them with their new iBooks, or powerbooks, or whatever they want to come out with next, wouldn't it be possible to put those in an iBook? I know I won't be burning DVDs anytime soon.

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

iBooks and iMacs are both non-upgradeable except for things like ram and hard drive. processor and video cards are soldered on and not removeable.

7. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, thanks for that. So neither of em are upgradable, and I think that the iBooks portability more than makes up for it's loss in speed. I really need help deciding. :(

8. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'd say get the iMac. If at all possible, though, you might be able to get a refurbished G4 tower from Apple, even if its only 800 mhz, because it's more upgradeable. Or, you could find a refurbished TiBook. Just think of it this way, would you want to shell out 1800 bucks now, and then 1.5-2 years from now for a new computer, or would you rather shell out 2500 bucks now for a computer that will last you 2+ years for light video editing?

But, if you're going to stick with the iBook/iMac decision, get the iMac.

9. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

PowerBook Prices

Speaking of ibooks and iMacs, I have a 550 PB combo with 512 Ram. It is in great condition, does anyone know what is a reasonable price to ask for it? thanks for the help. If any one is interested please email me @ jamesk777@mac.com