More Umax S900 clone questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Rabidjade, May 8, 2004.

1. macrumors member

Mar 21, 2004
    I was curious if these systems took standard sdram or a special ram. The slots are standard sdram but if you look closely they say "5.0 volts" and standard sdram is 3.3 volts. Also I was wondering how good of systems these were. Are they reliable or cheaply made? My eventual plan was to make one into a firewall box for my network (a 333mhz model). Thanks!
  2. macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    i dont' know much about it, but good luck with the project!
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2002
    Midnight Sun
    umax S900

hi there,

the S900 was a GREAT system, i currently run a Marathon RackMac (essentially a S900 in a custom Marathon case). to answer your first question, the ram is special, 5volt Dimms made for the PowerMac 7300-9600 and the SuperMac Clones. Much of this can be found on ebay by searching for 5v Dimm, or at (buy the NON-edo version for the Supermac S900).

this machine can easily be upgraded to a G4/450 (as mine is) with a sonnet accelerator, if you want to run Panther, buy a Radeon 7000 and an ide card (ditch the SCSI bus altogether).

here is a web resource:

also there is a lot of information at the 7300-9600 clones forum at and click OSX and Xpostfacto (this is the software you need to run Jag / Panther).

let me know if you have questions, i have read up and am very familiar with this machine. :D
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 21, 2004
    On a side note, What are the differences between the S900 and S910 models?