More virus problems!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Feb 18, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Link
    Crap!

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

How would one manage to obtain a virus on their cell phone? :confused:

hehe, now we're going to have to start scanning our cell phones for viruses :rolleyes:

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, all us Americans, brace yourselves!!!! :) Go to your phone's BT pane and make sure, one more time, that it's set to hidden mode. :rolleyes:

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Cell phones run an operating system. Linux derivatives or the like. They have security holes, too.

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

From the article...

The store owner's phone had also been infected, Hypponen said. Both devices were Nokia.

This in the same week Nokia announce a tie-in with Microsoft... surely this can't be a coincidence? :D ;)

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

But how would the virus get into the phone's OS?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This virus' vector is Bluetooth. It installs itself, and then looks for other discoverable phones, to which it also installs itself. It's a security flaw in the way BT is implemented on the phones....

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If the phone is used on the internet with a stripped down web browser... if the phone is connected to a computer..... (computer virus that spreads to phones. That is scary!)....BT....

Lots of ways. Just need to find them.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Thats why we should all be using Apple Cell Phones! :p

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Nice to see cell phone developers learning from the maladies from the PC industry and creating rock solid cellphone OSes.

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    just wait until someone finds a buffer overflow vulnerability in SMS or the like.

12. andysmith macrumors 6502

This doesn't really take advantage of an exploit - when the .sis installation file is recieved (the user must first accept connection from a remote device), you have to install the file - which has two warnings about installing untrusted software.

13. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Not too surprising. I recall reading in the last few weeks that some brand of luxury car (Lexus??) was susceptible to getting a virus in the DVD navigation system. Again, the propagation vector was through bluetooth, getting in via a mobile phone within range. Just think what could happen if that virus could attack other computerized systems in the car!

Much like Microsoft, this is yet another example of adding features without much thought towards security. Sure, bluetooth is cool to have in your car's navigation system, but did anyone think about the security implications? Probably not.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, thank you. I didn't know that, and then after you wrote this, I confirmed. Now I'm hugely relieved. I thought it was an exploit, and did automatically install itself. Especially since I know the virus by name, why on earth am I going to install an unrequested file transferred via BT? :(