More warning sounds?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Kingsnapped, May 2, 2004.

1. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I'm getting quite sick of the built in warning noises, most of which have been around since the first time I used a mac in elementary school. Is there any sites where I can download more, or at least a way to record my own?

2. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

You can record more or find them on the web. To the best of my knowledge, you can use any aiff audio file. Just put it in your user/"your user name"/library/sounds/ and you can select it as an alert.

I think that's how i did it.... PM me if it doesn't work.

3. Kingsnapped thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

No-go. I have an AIFF named "ugg" in the folder and it doesn't appear in the selections. I'm running 10.3.3. anybody?

edit:typo

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....make sure the file has the extension .aiff appended to it or it will not show up in the sound pref pane....oh yeah!

5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I put my custom .aiff sounds in /System/Library/Sounds, and I may have had to restart my computer to get them to show up. I also made sure that they had the .aiff extension in the name.

6. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

Ack! Don't put personal stuff i /System/Library/. This is Apple's private domain. Nearly anything that you can put in /System/Library/ you can put in /Library or ~/Library (the library in your home folder) to the same effect. In this case, system sounds definitely work put in ~/Library/Sounds, but you may need to logout and back in before they show up in the sound preference pane.