more wireless questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fjs08, Dec 28, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Received a wireless Apple keyboard and mouse for Christmas. It works flawlessly, but it seems to take forever to "wake up" each time I shut the machine down. I've figured out that if I hit the power button on the screen, the computer will wake up, but it takes almost a minute once I engage the computer for the mouse and KB to become functional. Strange. My wife's wireless mouse for her PC just works when I move it. Kinda an instant on. I'm using a Kensington Bluetooth dongle. Could that be a problem?? Or is that just how it is with the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse?

Frank

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well it should be instantly recognised when you boot up, but can I recommend using Sleep mode instead. It uses very little power and it gives instant wake up. :)

I find that the keyboard reacts instantly from sleep mode if I use the keyboard to wake the machine up. Space bar usually does the trick, but any key should work. As for the mouse, holding down the button and swirling it around for a few seconds usually speeds up the recognising stage. :)

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I use a keystroke combination to put the machine to sleep. Usually, I can wake it up with a touch of the space bar. Doesn't work with the wireless. Seems unless the computer is on, the kb & mouse won't respond. Kind of a catch 22. I find that the machine will wake up when I hit the power button on my Apple Cinema monitor. Then I have to wait for the kb and mouse. The bluetooth dongle was in a USB hub behind the monitor, so I moved it to the usb slot on the computer. That doens't seem to be helping to much either. I can see on the monitor a screen message saying "connection lost." Sometimes it in the middle of a mouse picture and sometimes it is in a keyboard picture. Nothing exactly repetitive enough to hang my hat on.

Frank

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oh, I assumed it was the built in Bluetooth which still reacts when the computer is asleep. Sorry, I'm not sure if there's a workaround. I only have built in Bluetooth so I can't really test different configurations. :eek:

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm going to check and see if Apple makes a Bluetooth Dongle. Their peripherals seems to work better with their computers.

Frank

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They don't sorry. :eek:

I don't think it'd matter anyway. At a guess, it's just an issue with USB not being powered during sleep but I might be wrong. I know Firewire gets power but I don't think USB does. It may depend on the Mac. Sorry for not being very helpful. :(

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I just went to the Apple Store on line and read some reviews on the keyboard. Most of the complaints are about battery life, which is ok to deal with. I keep a bunch of AA or whatever around the house, but there are lots too about losing the connection. I haven't had that problem once it connects, just getting it connected. Oh well, I'll play with it for a while. If it doesn't get better, I may go back to the wired USB kb and mouse. Guess the USB does stay "on" when the computer is asleep since I can wake it up by hitting the space bar on the wired kb. Just thought of that. Not sure why then the Bluetooth loses its connection, but nothing is perfect.

Frank

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good catch with the USB keyboard but it doesn't pull as much power as Bluetooth. I'm being particularly ineloquent but from memory, power gets cut to the USB in sleep, but not stopped altogether. Sorry for the mix up, it's late here and I should probably head to bed. I'm trying to say that there's not enough power to sync a Bluetooth device when the computer is asleep.

Hopefully someone with a USB Bluetooth dongle will be able to give you some good tips though. :eek:

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I gave up last nite. Every thing froze up, so I just pulled my old USB Apple keyboard and my USB Mighty Mouse out and hooked it back up. I couldn't be happier. I really like and missed the Mighty Mouse. I still think the box it came in should have had a little cape on it though<g>.

Frank

10. reallybigafro macrumors member

I was also lucky enough to get a mac keyboard to go along with an icurve, for my 12" ibook, and a microsoft laser wireless mouse. The only thing i'm questioning is if i should keep the wired keyboard or take it back and pay the difference for the wireless.

I was looking in the forum where MR members post pics of there set-ups and the majority of them have wireless. what do you guys have? and why would you take it back and pay the difference for a wireless, or why would you keep the wired keyboard. Thanks in advance guys.

11. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm taking the wireless back and get a wired MIghty Mouse. I love the trackball feature. I really missed it once I started using the old style mouse. Plus the wireless never was instantly there. I had to play around with it and wait almost a minute for the wireless mouse and keyboard to start up.
    It doesn't sound like much time, but I'm on and off the computer all day long and the time adds up. For me I'd rather have the wires and be able to start computing the second I sit down at the computer. Spoiled I guess<g>.
    I checked the Apple store and the wireless and wired keyboards both have the same tactile feel, etc, so I'd be getting the same very nice keyboard, just with a usb cord. And it's half the price. But I'm not taking it back because of the money.

Frank

12. reallybigafro macrumors member

Yeah see, i'm a student and a broke student at that. so it is going to be tuff for me to come up with the other $$$ but i think i'm going to run by the apple store and mess around with a few of them. thanks for the advise fjs08. If i pick up a wireless keyboard i'll be sure to post a pic of my setup in that forum. At the least it will give you guys something to laugh at.

13. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

If dollars are an issue and I can understand how tough it can be for students, the usb keyboard is 1/2 the price of the wireless.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...tjJ1UFyz8iq/0.SLID?mco=F9625631&nclm=3CFAB4F6

That page should take you to the Apple Store on line so you can see the prices. Lots of time, students get a break on price, I think???

If the above link isn't working, go to the Apple Store site

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/

and click on the "Mice and Keyboards" icon. It will take you to the page that has the listings and prices.

Frank

14. FBDiver macrumors newbie

I just unboxed my Intel iMac yesterday (with Bluetooth wireless keyboard and mouse) and the first thing I have noticed is the wake up lag for keyboard and mouse when powering on the system. The system starts up and is waiting for me to log in but I have no keyboard or mouse.
    I end up flipping the power switches on both devices and then they are recognized and I can actually log into my machine. Any updates on these issues?

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I leave the Keyboard on because it takes almost no power. I find it wakes up the first time I slap the SPACEBAR. Then, I turn on the Mouse and wiggle it around while holding down the button to speed up the synchronisation process. :)