more x11

Discussion in 'macOS' started by UncleUrgle, Nov 9, 2006.

1. UncleUrgle macrumors newbie

Thanks for the howls of derision and closure of thread. Charming. mduser63, Thanks for your response, it was more reasonable than most of the others.
    Here's what I know:
    1. x11 is not on _my_ install discs AFAIK (MacBookPro purchased Sept06) . It is not in the 'bundled software' package. (There is x11 SDK in Xcode tools folder). I find no sign of anything called optional installs on my install discs. I did not choose the option to restart my computer and install OSX, don't tell me they hid it in there?
    2. I find no reference to x11 and intel chips on Apple websites
    3.install help isn't helpful
    4. There is talk on some boards that x11 is not supported on Intel macs
    5. Apple tech support _explicitly_ told me x11 does not run on intel macs, it is not supported and there are no plans to support it.
    I'm not stupid and I'm no newbie, but it's not impossible that I've missed something obvious. So how about some actual help rather than ridicule?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here is an Apple support article on Migration Assistant mentioning that some PPC apps might not work when migrated to Intel Macs. They use X11 as an example:

I don't own an Intel Mac, but I know there are plenty of people here at MacRumors who are using X11 just fine on their Intel Macs.

You may have to drill down a bit through the Optional Installs to find the X11User.pkg, but it's there.

3. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Install instructions are here.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1624.html

And Apple even says to reinstall for ppl moving from PPC to Intel for the X11 UB.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304302

And this guy has a Macbook and he got it installed and Eidorian from the first thread has an intel mac and was showing you that X11 was for intel as well with the screenshot Eidorian posted.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3183054&#3183054

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

X11 IS on the installer disc that came with your MBP.. as I have an MBP and clearly have X11 installed. See below.

Both 4 and 5 are completely false, as I have used X11 multiple times to run ethereal.

As for pulling the X11 installer off the DVD, use Pacifist.

EDIT: Or see Post #6: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3036437&postcount=6

Attached Files:

5. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I just formatted my MBP yesterday and during the install it gave me a checkbox to choose if I wanted to install X11. I just hit the 'customize' button during installation.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Also, I JUST put in my installer DVD, scroll down to the bottom of the Disc 1 window and choose "Optional Installs.mpkg" and in there you can choose X11 to install.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Insert your install disk, go to Finder, click on the DVD. By default, you'll see a lot of folders in a circle. X11 is not in any of those. Scroll down, now you'll see the optional install packages.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You were ridiculed, not because you could not find a way to install X11. Instead, you made grand proclamations. You could have asked for help at this forum or macosxhints.com, where a similar question gets asked about once a week. You are still unapolegetic and still claim that you've done nothing wrong. It will not get you very far.

BTW, I also would like to see which threads gave you the idea that X11 does not run on intel Macs.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wish I'd read that thread before replying to this one.. :(

11. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Complete crap basically. If Apple support actually told you that they should have been slapped on the wrist. The "boards" are clearly populated by morons and as for a reference on X11 and Intel chips from the Apple website, how about this:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11update2006.html

The recent Apple X11 update is a Universal Binary. I.e. Intel and PPC.

I use X11 for my work every day and it runs fine on my Intel Mac mini. I know plenty of people with MacBook Pros and MacBooks who are also using it. For my mini its installed by clicking the "Optional Installs" package and selecting "X11", same as for all Tiger based Macs PPC or Intel.

12. UncleUrgle thread starter macrumors newbie

got it

thankyou all for you time. In my defense, I wouldn't have bothered raising the issue here if the apple tech guy had not been adamant that x1 was no longer supported. My crime: I believed him. I'm paying for this service?

13. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I agree that that's stupid. I'm not sure what there is for you to do about it, other than perhaps register a complaint with Apple. The tech in question should say "I don't know" or "I'll find out" if there's something he's not sure about, not just tell people things that are completely untrue. I presume that you got X11 installed and working?