More Yellowstone Volcanic Activity

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Durandal7, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

http://www.trivalleyherald.com/Stories/0,1413,86~10669~1800175,00.html

2. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

sounds like time to run out and get some duct tape, plastic wrap and snorkles. I saw a discovery channel thingy on Yellowstone and how it may be one gigantic thermal thing (the name of which is obviously escaping me ;)) and just as this article states, it moves and changes pretty much every minute of every day. It might be pretty interesting if this exploded/erupted, albeit not for the folks directly around it, but then again, it's probably nothing.

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

How will this affect that trout stream that I planned on fishing next summer, upriver in Montana? ;)

Actualy this sounds real interesting, other than the potential danger to the surrounding area. I wonder if any of the data they are collecting can help them predict things like earthquakes.

4. Mac til death macrumors regular

It's the lost city of Atlantis (The Dome)

Anyway, I would not want to be anywhere near that thing when it blows. It's a shame I've never been to Yellowstone, but I think I'll wait for the weird geological things like this that I keep reading about to normalize...

5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

that's kinda the point - things like this are *always* happening in Yellowstone, and this is probably just another anomaly that hasn't been seen before... You may be waiting forever (kinda like for a G5 powerbook :D)

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I would love to see some of the maps and data - very cool stuff. I just hope it subsides and doesn't blow anytime soon.

D

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well I hope you like your Trout steamed! Perhaps you should throw a few cut lemons in the stream ;)

This was mentioned by a friend of mine some time ago... he got this "things that are going kill us" fascination. He told me that the area is so volitile that contour maps (showing changes in ground elevation) can be outdated in a decade. Maybe I should go see it before it's one big crater.

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I think it was Nova (PBS), they said that the entire Yellowstone valley is basically a giant caldera of flat volcano (can't remember the term), and that the entire floor has been rising for the last 35 years... imagine if that did explode like St Helens... no more snowboarding @ Big Sky.. :mad:

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If it blows, it will most likely out do Mt. St. Helens...which means more than just Yellowstone and the surrounding area will be affected. Ash could fall on the East Coast.....

D

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

There was a prog on the BBC about six months ago citing research into super-volcanos, the claims were that at least one of these thing had caused an extinction level event in the last 650,000 years or so, and there was evidence of more than the one in Yellowstone.

If Yellowstone is a super-volcano, and it does blow as described in the research, then I'm afraid you can kiss most of North America goodbye, and say hello to a new ice age at the very least, the prog reckoned on a yield of somewhere in the order of 2-3,000 times the ejected material from Mt. St.Helens.

The rate of change in the park is said to be accelerating, the lake is actually shifting down a long slope, and this dome doesn't sound like it's a subsiding sort of thing, does it.

I'd lay in some serious canned food/fresh water supplies and a couple of pairs of thermal socks... a shovel might be in order too.

12. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

well, you know the Mayan calendar has the "end of the world" sometime in December, 2012. Maybe this is the thing... :rolleyes:

13. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

sounds like the program i saw.. maybe it wasn't on Nova...

one bright side.. more snowboarding time :D