Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
The mosquitos where I live in central ny have been TERRIBLE this year. I can't go outside my house at all after 7:00 or I'll have AT LEAST 5 bites when I get back in, just from stepping outside and back inside.

I don't have any abnormal sitting water around my house or anything, but they're terrible....I hate them!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I just pulled a mosquito out of my arm! There's loads in my room, my window doesn't close completely and they can fly in.

On a fairly similar topic, people often think the way to remove a tick is to squash it with a cigarette or splat it.

That does more harm than good as the tick will probably regurgitate all it's contents into the host. The way to remove a tick is to twist it anticlockwise as they have an anticlockwise thread on them....

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
You sound hot

dynamicv said:
The only real way to keep them away is for your body to give off a smell they don't like. Eating more garlic does the job for me. Sweating that out all night keeps them well off.

Yeah! I said it! :D

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Onizuka said:
I think I have wesnile...
Erm, that's "West Nile"...
Anyways, up until last year, mosquitos have ALWAYS been bad in RI. Still small, but ****ing SWARMS of them. Last year, though, I don't think I saw a single one. They're back this year, but not quite so bad.

And this is going to sound like another plug for SC Johnson (because it kinda is :p), but the Off! Power Pads work extremely well. I noticed this after I knocked one over the other night while helping my father with the pool filter. :eek:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I used to live on a farm where the hot summer nights brought out a lot of mosquitos. As a kid, even thought of trekking out in the woods until I walked about 20 metres in that I started feeling the wrath from the intense number of pests.

I feel sorry for the livestock. :(

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I pretty much stopped taking my telescopes out at night becauses of the number of bites. I came in with a swollen face on a couple of occassions. I never liked the idea of spraying myself with chemicals either.

In one of the sci.astro newsgroups someone posted how to set-up a bat roost in your area but I never tried it. My neighbors would go ape****.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
We have mosquitos so bad at my house. Tonight, I counted up all the bites on my legs from the past week, 22, really small, and freakin huge! Seriously, one on my foot is the size of a quarter at least. I live between two ponds, so that might be a factor, but I can't do a thing about it. Just something I have to live with.

And to the person living in Colorado, there goes my dreams of moving to Denver when I'm old enough. I went to Colorado a few years ago, went to a Rockies game, and was surprised there were no bugs at all. I loved it there.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Killyp said:
On a fairly similar topic, people often think the way to remove a tick is to squash it with a cigarette or splat it.

That does more harm than good as the tick will probably regurgitate all it's contents into the host. The way to remove a tick is to twist it anticlockwise as they have an anticlockwise thread on them....

I just grab them using tweezers and subject them to trial by fire. Thankfully, I've never run into a bloated one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.