MOSR wants ATI 8500 with ADC connector

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Sun Baked, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

After the fabulous BareFeats time trials, it seems MOSR needs an ATI 8500 with the ADC connector.

This is to do QE time trials. :D

Wonder what other fantasy products he'll be testing for this speed test, last time I checked the ATI 8500 in the XServe's is DVI like the retail card.

2. chromos macrumors member

Yeah, I like how although the card is purportedly to get QE benchmarks, they don't say "We'd like to borrow a card", but they want some stupid sap to give them one. What leeches.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

A leech is something/one that takes without reciprocating. They're offering an ad trade. Donation-wise, they've already given us years of news and speculation.

So, um... actually, WE'RE the ones who are the leeches... :rolleyes:

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm all for the "news" MOSR gives us, but a leech kinda takes without asking. Unless you count those people who put leeches on themselves on purpose. We never take the news from them without asking, they (like this site) offer up stuff for (essentially, w/ads) free. I don't count myself as a leech as much as helpful, because my visit to the site gives it hits, which makes it more attractive to advertisers (see how I rationalize that there).

Now a symbiote, that would be a good analogy. "You give us something, we'll give you something" type thing.

MacOSRumors is fun and all, but I trust them about as much as I trust MacNN now (they were railed on in a previous post). They're just that, rumors. If you want something a little more reliable, try ThinkSecret or MacMinute. MacCentral's good for the news stuff, too. This site is great for overall stuff (and b*tching in the forums), and ARN seems to be able to see the difference (unlike some of us with our wishful thinking).

I praise because MacRumors I appreciate, MOSR is just kinda... there.

8500 Radeon w/ADC for "testing". Maybe they meant the 9000, or the OEM 7500. Or an 8500 with a DVI-to-ADC adapter. Or they're just not paying attention. Although they did mention 3D anti-aliasing. Either way, they must not be doing to well if they can't afford a couple of hundered bucks (you know, for a product that actually exists) and can spare the ad space. I realize this stuff gets expensive, maybe they just don't want to spend the money.

I once sent them something I had heard (that was true BTW), and they posted right away, didn't check it out or wait or anything. I was kinda surprised (I'm a reliable source!!!).

The guy at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ really seems to know his stuff, but doesn't really post a lot of rumors.

Maybe that's what's happening over at MOSR they, like me, have way too much times on their hands lately.

5. Arcady macrumors 6502

Don't do it.

I was at a party at MacWorld San Francisco in 1998 where I met MOSR's Ryan Meader. Everyone was drinking beer and getting kind of rowdy in front of this webcam I set up on a PowerBook 540c.

Anyway, I ended up spilling my beer all over Ryan and his (then top of the line) PowerBook G3. I felt really bad at the time, but after seeing the mess his site turned into, I don't feel so bad any more. (His PowerBook worked fine after we wiped it off - but it smelled like beer.)

I think he used to have sources for his info, but as the Steve jobs era progressed, he lost most of his contacts. Now I'm pretty sure that 95% of what he posts is stuff he makes up while sitting on the toilet, and the other 5% comes from other sites he reads.

The only reason to read MOSR is for a good laugh. But don't donate anything to this guy. How many times has he crashed his server because he is so inept he cannot even run it? The guy can't even do HTML.

6. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

you've got to be kidding. MOSR is absolutely the worst of the bunch. They're just a bunch of 35-year-olds sitting around a PowerMac in some dude's parents' basement playing Warcraft 3. When they're taking a break from their gaming, they make up some fantasy rumor or rip off on other rumors sites like Thinksecret. It's hardly "news" and the speculation is just that, speculation, with no basis in facts or any credible sources.

7. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

I found MOSR many moons before I stumbled on macrumors, so I don't hold anything against them-- at that time, I was used to my rumor as a weekly dose, usually in print in the back of MacWeek, and it was the closest web analog at the time, besides the knifes own web version. There wasn't 24/7 constant speculation by everyone in a message board format at that time (and I was one who never liked message boards in HTML--- people were supposed to be using Usenet for that stuff, which too many still doesn't know exists.)

Mmm, whats the topic? Oh okay so a few years into this web thing , the ISP landlords decide they are going to have to charge their patrons more for bandwidth and storage, and those living on a juicy rumor and an occasional advance look at hardware have to go a bit more hardcore with their begging, or asking the readers to subscribe. One way to get more daily hits is via flamew... uh discussion that you are reminded by email to come back into, crossing your eyeball across a lovely banner ad as you do so. Interactivity baby! Now the readers can be just as reliable and trustworthy as the professional gossip flingers.

Wheres my Radeon 9000 or 9500? Shouldn't you be getting unreleased barely announced stuff for your participation?

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Does the guy ever update his website more than once a week?

9. awrootbeer macrumors member

Far too critical

Don't be so critical of MOSR. You complain about them, but would you honestly be happier if they closed down?

I wouldnt.
    Stop criticizing and start spreading the love mac users are known for!

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Re: Far too critical

They were my first Mac Rumors site, but if they went out of business tomorrow, I (and many others here) could honestly care less. Making up a bunch of stuff based on things you've heard is not news, which they sometimes claim to be (news site, ha). It's not the best of the rumor sites (which there are many), though I guess it isn't the worst.

The part that's pissing everyone off is that they are all of the sudden asking for some kind-of contribution (to a product that doesn't exist BTW, which makes them look really bad). It's cool that they exist and all, but if they aren't gonna do it for the love of the game (and they do advertise, so if they're any good they'll at least break even), maybe they should call it quits.

You get better news at Xlr8yourmac and people just send him stuff to play with (except for the stuff he buys himself, the trooper) out of the kindness of their hearts (though sometimes in exchange for advertising). But you rarely see him begging for stuff. Appleturns does it in a humorous way, and offers a much better service. Plus they have a baby (not that it has to do with anything).

Look at all this site offers, and you don't see ARN begging for new stuff to "test". So buy a MacRumors mug, b*tch away, and take anything MOSR says with a grain of salt. Read the boards, who says we're nice?

And if anyone out there wants to donate a Dual 1.6 GHz with a nVidia 5 to me for "testing" purposes, I would be willing to say nice things about them to random people on the streets (please note sarcasm).

11. Wry Cooter macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Far too critical

:eek: Maybe that was their way of saying they wish there was such an animal, the same way some high muckety mucks here are obviously in denial about the Apple PDA they so badly want we know that Cupertino staff play hot potato with every afternoon at the watercooler ;)

That is, they can use sarcasm too. Or they know about the sooper sekrit model you can't have yet....

Some sites could beg for money.... MOSR was among those, but there were quite a few very useful sites that said the advertising model wasn't paying their bills (and their landlords started gouging). So now if you need troubleshooting info that is more than 2 or 3 days old you may have to be a paying member to useful archives such as MacFixit.

Whatever you think, its not the height of maturity for one rumor site to dis another- you don't want to stand tall by walking on others.

So what about ThinkSecret, do they suck or what?

12. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

He's still asking for the ADC

Tuesday, August 20 9:41 PM ET

Editor's Note: Rumors is still looking to acquire an Apple-version (with an ADC connector, which the retail edition lacks) ATi RADEON 8500 for an upcoming review of Quartz Extreme, and other regarding 3D Anti-Aliasing. The Apple version of the card has recently dropped to $229, for those who may be interested in providing one.

----

Dude, second sentence in the Apple description of the card you're talking about at the Apple Store - Radeon 8500 Mac Edition.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, there is still no ADC version of the 8500.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP.../wo/2EboD0Nrh2eadviGtG2/2.3.0.3.34.8.3.9.13.0

For those who don't want to bother looking, I'll quote:

Dual monitor support

The RADEON 8500 MAC EDITION supports traditional CRT monitors, flat panel displays and TVs.

NO ADC!!!

MOSR has lost the little credibility they have left.

And for the record, lately ThinkSecret has been dead-on. I don't see them begging for stuff lately. The guy at XLR8YourMac got a loaner CPU upgrade, and was very thankful. He said something about buying one himself later. They get my respect.

"Please give us a product that doesn't even exist so we can play with it, and maybe we'll give you some free adspace... we're still waiting" doesn't.

They aren't talking about any future product.

Almost forgot, I tried sending them an e-mail explaining this to them to save themselves some future embarrassment, and it bounced back.

Twice.