Mossberg: Mail slow in Tiger. Any confirmation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wordmunger, Apr 28, 2005.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Mossberg's excellent review of Tiger in the WSJ is mostly raves, but he does point out that Mail runs substantially slower in Tiger. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a chance to confirm that.

A slower mail.app would make me leery of upgrading right away. Mossberg says he talked to Apple reps about it and they anticipated that they would fix the problem in an upcoming release.

2. adam1185 macrumors regular

I haven't noticed anything unusually slow, but maybe it has something to do with how each mail message is now a separate file.

3. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I beg to differ... Mail in Tiger is actually much faster than Mail was in 10.3.9. And it doesn't seem to tax the cpu as much when checking for mail like it did before.

4. DWKlink macrumors regular

After reading this review of Tiger, http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=10441&page=3, the author mentions that he did an archive and install and mail was very sluggish. when he trashed his mail database and reimported his messages manually he was ok. i wonder if this could have been spotlight doing its initial catalogue of mail messages as well...

5. cleaner416 macrumors newbie

What about IMAP?

IMAP support was pretty substandard IMO in panther, especially if you stored multiple folders on your IMAP server.

Has any one tested mail with an IMAP account?

6. slb macrumors 6502

I'm on a 1.42ghz Mac mini. I let Spotlight do its initial indexing which took about 3 hours.

I tried Mail afterward and haven't noticed any slowdown. It's been as responsive--and often more so--than the previous Mail was.

7. kenstee macrumors member

Actually, I emailed him about some of his comments about slowness both with the system and Mail. What I wanted to know was how he did his upgrades. He emailed me that he did a straight upgrade on all of his machines rather than a clean install or archieve & install. I wonder if this is the resaon for some of his slowness issues.

While I have read a lot a comments about the pros and cons of the three upgrade options, to date I have not seen any quantitative data vis-a-vis which is better.

8. Sport73 macrumors member

Sport73

For me Mail is totally FUNKED...

Upon install (upgrade) everything worked splendidly except for Mail.app, which shows my mailboxes, correct sizes of contents under Get Info, but no actual messages. In addition, Mail won't close/quit without a force quit.

After messing around a bit, I trashed my preference file and it seemed to revive my .Mac account in Mail; my IMAP (work) account cannot be contacted. When I set it up, it completes setup but then freezes before displaying mailboxes. After a FORCE-Quit, the mailboxes on the IMAP server show up, but once again without the actual e-mails.

Now, I notice that .Mac mail is not up to date, in that only messages from February 9th and before are present.

Bottom line is that Mail is completely screwed up. This stinks because Mail coupled with Spotlight (smart mailboxes etc.) was one of my biggest reasons for upgrading. I hope my archive of 2 years worth of business mail isn't dead.

Be warned. Tiger's Mail has some SERIOUS issues. (confirmed on both my Powerbook and PowerMac). The only 'extra' running prior to upgrade was mail.appetizer.

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Why don't you try backing up your system and doing a clean reinstall. It will most likely solve the problem, like some of the other posters have suggested above.