Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slvgx

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
All I want to do is record soccer games from DirectTV. It all is quite overwhelming for me being new at it and all.

I am looking for the cheapest way to record from TV to my Mac. I'm open to TV tuner types or DVR/PVR types. A standalone unit would be ideal, but I can't seem to find something cheap.

So far it seems the best option is something from EyeTV.

I do have access to a Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo, but with no subscription. It seems like it may be able to be upgraded to Plus for the TivoToGo service, but that'd be about $200, and I'm not 100% sure that I'd be able to pull the games off the SD-H400 to my MacBook.

Any suggestions?

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The cheapest is Miglia TVMicro ($99, they have them at CompUSA or online, uses the same EyeTV software). EyeTV Hybrid is basically the same product except it also supports composite and S-video and can record HD ATSC channels (TVMicro is limited to coaxial ONLY, which is the worst quality of all connections), and it's $50 more.

If you can, get the EyeTV. If you want to save every dime, get the TVMicro.

The TiVo solution might be the easiest though. It's a lot easier to transfer your recordings to your Mac as files than to hook your DirectTV box to your Mac and sit and record.

925AS

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
CALIFORNIA
I transfer my games and programs using Toast 8. I have tivo and comcast digital. Toast has a tivo download feature so you dont have to do anything else, but you will need a tivo subscription (at least I think you do, since the transfer is done through connection between your computer and dvr).

Slvgx

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
The TiVo solution might be the easiest though. It's a lot easier to transfer your recordings to your Mac as files than to hook your DirectTV box to your Mac and sit and record.

That's what I was thinking too. It will be mainly used for MLS Chicago Fire games, and I attend all home games. I don't like the idea of leaving my MacBook out and about for my dogs and other family members to decide to start touching buttons while I'm at the stadium. :)

I can't seem to find a decent piece of standalone hardware that I can record and put it on to my Mac. The TiVo series 2 seems like my only option, which wouldn't be that bad unless it was for the $200 yearly subscription fees.

If you can, I would wait until Leopard - who knows what special secret features there may be.

...Although I doubt it.

As I mentioned above it's for the Chicago Fire MLS team season which begins April 7th, and I don't want to leave it to chance. :)

Slvgx

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
I transfer my games and programs using Toast 8. I have tivo and comcast digital. Toast has a tivo download feature so you dont have to do anything else, but you will need a tivo subscription (at least I think you do, since the transfer is done through connection between your computer and dvr).

I assume this is using the TiVoToGo feature? If so I can't seem to find a straight answer online on whether or not the Toshiba SD-H400 is upgradeable (if buying the Plus service) to TiVoToGo.

I'll go the TiVo route if I absolutely have to. I'm really hoping there is something else out there without subscription fees. I don't mind only having a 3 day guide, or no season pass type things. I can input date and time recording schedules manually. As long as I can get it off the device on to my MB, I'm happy.

925AS

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
CALIFORNIA
well toast doesn't use TivoToGo. It merely connects to your dvr and transfers the files. I am not sure if you do or don't have to have a valid account with tivo in order to do it.
What i do know is to transfer the files you have to get the dvr online somehow.

Slvgx

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
well toast doesn't use TivoToGo. It merely connects to your dvr and transfers the files. I am not sure if you do or don't have to have a valid account with tivo in order to do it.
What i do know is to transfer the files you have to get the dvr online somehow.

I'll give that a try on the Toshiba TiVo my friend has. I have the new version of Toast, hopefully the USB port is 2.0 on the Toshiba, but I have a feeling it's probably 1.0 :(

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
hey, sorry to revive such an old thread, but I have a question that goes beyond this. I plan on starting to record football games on my mac. I will be purchasing a package from timewarner cable that includes all of the nfl games :cool:! so I would like to record some of them and am not sure the best way to do it. I live at two houses and won't always be at the house where the package is purchased so it would be nice to have some stand alone box, but I guess it would have to run through the cable box as the package isn't part of basic cable so would I need a splitter? Actually now that I think about it it's hooked up to an HDTV via HTMI so maybe I need something more advanced, It would be nice to record in high def but if that costs a lot more than it's not really worth it. Let me know of your thoughts/experiences, thanks!

Il fatality x

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2008
I assume this is using the TiVoToGo feature? If so I can't seem to find a straight answer online on whether or not the Toshiba SD-H400 is upgradeable (if buying the Plus service) to TiVoToGo.

I'll go the TiVo route if I absolutely have to. I'm really hoping there is something else out there without subscription fees. I don't mind only having a 3 day guide, or no season pass type things. I can input date and time recording schedules manually. As long as I can get it off the device on to my MB, I'm happy.

Ok well to me thats sound like a bad idea only because u have to pay for service on it. i am a big halo player and what i do is use a DVR to record what i am doing. the benefit of this is that you can save it on the dvr and then it burns dvds. if u are going to burn the dvds then i would invest in about 5-10 rewritable dvd discs. quality is the same because the aspect ratio of the screen is the same as the computer.

hope this helped. and if anyone has any other ideas that ivolves a stand alone piece of equipment please tell me cause i am kinda running out of room and my friend is looking for another solution. another thing i would suggest is buying a Pinnacle dazzle for mac. costs around 90 dollars but i havent got around to trying one out yet. a cable would be amazing if someone knew one that i could use.

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I know there's cheaper sticks that use eyetv 3 software, but i just picked up an eyetv hybird and i'm very happy with it, look around, i've seen them used for $50-100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.