most annoying internet chat phrases

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, Jan 3, 2004.

1. macrumors G4

lol

I don't know why but I cringe every time I see that phrase used, especially when I hear it being spelled out on the bus by junior high students, ugh....

What are your internet conversation annoyances?

2. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

i hate when people use "u" instead of you, or "2" instead of to or too, or "r" in stead of "are"....things like ROFLMAO are both stupid and pointless, because honestly, who cares that you're laughing that hard? we all got the point when you said "lol" like 5 times...

3. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Anything that would make ebonics look cultured an refined.

4. macrumors 6502

Add these two to the list

brb (be right back)
    g2g (got to go)

--Waluigi

5. macrumors member

That's a pretty low blow to put ebonics in line with LOL or ROTFLMA. I'm not impressed.

(Ebonics is a legit english dialect, better known to linguists as AAVE or African-American Vernacular English - it's not a bunch of slang spoken by a bunch of rappers with a bunch of shiny necklaces - it's actually one of the more culturally potent english dialects around).

Davis

6. macrumors 68000

latergator116

I don't mind short ones like "g2g" or "lol". (I always thought that meant "lots of luck", but thats another story). I just hate when people use very long phrases like "TIARSPAYSNUTBIIHTU" that take a million years to figure out. (btw, who can figure that out?)

7. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't really have any prolem with any of these perhaps your all a bit uptight .... if people over use LOL or brb or g2g i can see what your saying but its not bad once or twice per convo.

8. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i hate almost every acronym that people use. i know some people who seriously must make up their own... they always end up being like this: bsdfbts... WHAT THE ___ DOES THAT MEAN!

ps i just made that up... i don't think it stands for anything.

9. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

when people type "kewl" :rolleyes:

if that even counts...

10. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

"Brb" and "g2g" are quite useful, no reason to hate. I just don't like talking to people like my 12 year old cousin who prefers to talk using as few letters and as little punctuation as she can.

People who use spellings like "kewl" and rawk in a serious tone need to be beaten.

11. macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Even though I use them sometimes
    Acronyms Siht me off,

Also spelling words incorrectly to avoid them being ****ed out, gets to me, but only a small amount. (I'm aware of the irony here)

12. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if something is really funny, i type "lol". if it's devistatingly funny, i'd type "lol lol". beyond that, i don't use the acronyms much. IMHO is one that i use, bbi5 in chat, not much else. i don't really find myself annoyed by any in particular, i suppose the really long ones are obnoxious. occasionally i come across one that i've never heard, and that's really annoying.

paul

13. macrumors G3

Counterfit

AFAIK, IMHO, and IMO just seem to really bug for some reason. Then there's "ne1" and "no1", "u" and anything else that is more a sign of laziness than a willingness to save me bytes.

14. macrumors 65816

My brother always signs off with "l8r." Drives me nuts. Yet he's real conservative with the smilies. I always feel uncomfortable using them with him. But that's just because he has no sense of humor. :\

15. macrumors member

Not really a chat phrase BUT I FIND IT ANNOYING WHEN PEOPLE FELL THE NEED TO ALWAYS TYPE IN UPPER CASE. Not really sure why people do it....

16. macrumors 68000

latergator116

I don't mind shortcuts like "u" because that is laziness, like Awimoway said, and I can relate to that. But, anyone that says "kewl" is stupid and obviously not lazy because it takes just as long to type "kewl" as it does to type "cool", if not longer. So there ya go.

17. macrumors 65816

Actually, tpjunkie said that. I wouldn't want to steal anyone else's due credit. ;) (But I agree!)

18. macrumors 6502

Re: most annoying internet chat phrases

I don't mind the use of widely known acronyms. They make conversations move faster, especially if someone is a slow typer. However, the use of obscure acronyms are a pain, and seem to lead to more typing to figure them out than if the person would have just written it out the first time. Why use "don't" when it is really "do not"? "lol" serves the same purpose.

19. macrumors 604

scem0

overuse of leet/l337.

"Ub3r Haxxorz is l337 u n00b".

Stuff Like that.

And another thing that annoys me is when people disregard conventional capitalization. For example, "HeY gUyZ, WaNnA dO sOmEtHiNg?".

I don't mind people replacing 'I' with 'i' though. Somethings I'm too lazy to bother pressing the shift key for something so short but that usually isn't the case.

One thing that I could imagine would annoy many is saying 'pwn' instead of 'own', but I am guilty of doing that, so I obviously don't mind.

lol, brb, g2g, ttyl, etc are all fine. Its when you get into the lesser known ones, or you start making them up, that it gets to be problematic.

0l< gUyZ |'/\/\ 0uTz0r$ ttyl TOGHGH! ROFL *wink wink*

:rolleyes:

scem0

20. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

[Tongue Planted firmly in cheek mode=ON]
    Ya I just hate it when people say NASA instead of Nation Aeronautics and Space administration. Or CIA instead of Central Intelligence Agency or NORAD instead of North American Aerospace Defense Command. How about users who use the term Mac when its suppose to be Macintosh. And don't get me started on those dang computer techs and their acronyms.
    [/Tongue Planted firmly in cheek mode=OFF]

You guys picking up a pattern here? These acronyms are shortcuts just as there are shortcuts in everyday language. How many of you use contractions every day? That's another form of linguistic shortcuts. I use UR and BRB, CU, PITA, LOL, among others all the time. Just as I don't type out "I'm winking at you" but ;) IMHO oops in my humble opinion, but you knew that so why did I just type it, as long as you are accurately conveying the message across to the user on the other end it shouldn't matter what language you use. If it irks you that's your prerogative. But that doesn't make it any less of a valid method of communication.
    However there is a time and a place for slang and shortcuts. We use Lotus Sametime at work to communicate between offices. My manager is based out of Chicago and I always stay formal when chatting with him. Again a time and a place for everything.

Now if you want to talk about annoyances lets talk 1337 speak. That isn't a shortcut or some "better" method of communication. Its just a stupid way for people to feel like they are, as latergator116 said, kewl. If I ever have another online chat with someone who tries to talk like this I'm going to shove a dictionary down their throat.

21. macrumors 65816

kettle

he he

That's the badger!

:)

oh, and I like the way MAC users are super forgiving when people use MAC when they really meant Mac. OMG!

:eek:

22. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OMG everyone here must h8 me! :eek:

...sorry...

23. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i hate l8r, rofl. i obviously like lower case i's.

...and so long as we're talking about it, what does IIRC mean?

24. macrumors 68000

pivo6

IIRC=If I Recall Correctly.

These abbreviations don't bother me too much, as long as it doesn't dominate a conversation.

25. macrumors 65816

The new breed of SMSers brings more confusing abbreviations.
    Certainly I can't stand LOL being said online, but when people use it in normal conversation?!?
    I don't get any of the new ones;
    TTLY
    What?
    CUL
    Hey?
    I admit I subs. 2 for too/to and r for are and u for you.
    But I've never used lol.

Most of my friends on MSN have funked up usernames like : _-+**fUñ´ƒø® åll**+-__.
    I hope they never become graphic artists.