Most costly typo you ever made

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by foidulus, Jan 24, 2007.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

So today I was looking through the stuff I sent into graduate school, and as it turns out, I made like 3 typos in my resume but was stupid enough to depend on Word 2004 to catch all of them(it didn't). Now am I even more worried about my apps. What are the costliest typos that MR people have made?

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I make the O and I typo mistake a lot, especially with the word shOt - also a bit of freudian slips with lock for lick. ;)

Recently wrote about public hangings and it read: "pubic hangings". Ooooops, and might I say, OUCH!

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I must emphasise that this isn't a typo I made personally, but it is one that proved very costly...

A friend of mine was involved with a university which published a document offering potential students advice on finding accommodation. I can't remember the exact wording, but there was a section that was supposed do read something along the lines of "We cannot guarantee to provide accommodation for all first year students". However, the final version that was sent out omitted the word 'cannot', and in doing so they left themselves in the position of having to find and provide accommodation for all of the new student intake. I believe the mistake ended up costing the university a couple of hundred thousand pounds.

Like I say though, not a typo of mine because I don't make mistakes – my spelling and grammer are totaly perfect. :)

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

It's grammar. ;) :D

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yep, I know. You appear to have missed the other deliberate mistake though. ;)

Heh – it wasn't the 'do' either. That's why we always get someone else to double check our copy with a fresh eye... :D :eek:

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I doubt the person responsible is a member here at MacRumors, but this probably qualifies as a costly typo.

7. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

I mistyped my name on an english paper a couple month back i got like 5pts off for that.

8. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

i took an SAT practice essay and i left out one word. if it had been a real SAT i would have gotten a 0.

9. UserofMacOSX macrumors member

UserofMacOSX

I have mistyped a few words to become cuss words in some school papers. :eek: Luckily, my teacher doesn't have a problem with that.:) Although it wasn't on purpose.:D

I think one time I meant to type "shot," but the I and O are right next to each other, and I typed "shiot" and erased the "o" instead of "i."

10. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Can't think of any of my own at the moment, but I think the NASA Mars Climate Orbiter deserves a mention.

$193.1 million to develop the Mars Surveyor crafts (both the climate orbiter and the polar lander)
    $91.7 million to launch both the orbiter and the lander
    $42.8 million to handle operations
    Priceless The orbiter you launched crashes into the planet because no one thought to make sure that all of the modules were speaking the same mathematical language.

11. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Not one of my own, but since I dont have any really good ones, I have to laugh at, I mean with, other peoples mistakes.

I saw on CNN one time they were interviewing a man from Niger, who was black. The lower 3rd didnt say "Niger"... They put an extra "g" in it. I'll bet someone got fired over that one. I almost hurt myself laughing though.

12. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

:D :D :D :D

13. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Someone where my mum works once accidently charged a customer £999.99 instead of £9.99 on the debit card machine. The customer SIGNED for it and handed it back. The next day, the guy storms in and goes crazy about it, shouting at anyone and everyone. The manager obviously gave him his money back, but pointed out that he'd signed for a payment of £999.99 without questioning it, so if they'd wanted to get pedantic they could have kept it.

Always read the receipt before you leave!

14. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

Slightly OT... but in England is debit card machine just a generic term for credit card machine? If it was truly a debit/check card then the guy would have entered his pin number and wouldn't have had to sign anything. He would have been completely screwed since the money would have been removed from his account instantly.

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

once when I was working in a pet supply store a customer bought a dog harness for $35.99 I accidentaly entered $3,599 in the debit machine, it went through no problem it was not until I was tearing the printout off that I realized my mistake and reversed the charges. The dog got a free cookie and the customer an apology, i was fired the next week. : (

Though the woman should have checked the numbers on the pin pad...

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

As far as I know, CCs don't get a lot of use in Europe. They might have to sign for debit purchases though.

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

About a year ago I was accidentally charged $55 instead of $5.50 for something, fortunately I noticed before entering my PIN.

Yesterday it was 92 cents instead of $9.20, but that one was noticed too :p

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They should have. :p

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I failed an english paper because I typed "turkey b@st@rd" instead of "turkey baster" How I did that, I have NO idea.... but it showed up, and I failed the paper when my teacher read it. (Lousy son of a...)

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

awesome

21. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It was a generic credit/debit card machine (A Dione Xchequer, to be precise). Chip & pin transactions only became a legal requirement in the UK in 2006, before that customers would usually sign for any card purchases, be they debit or credit.

22. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

A loooong time ago, I submitted a CV for a job, and was surprised when I received the CV back in the post a couple of weeks later.

It turned out I'd spelt two words wrong in my CV (as in, every time I typed them) and they were 'nice' enough to return it with each word highlighted with a red pen.

It was only two words.. unfortunately (for me) those two words were "expierience" and "eduacation"! :p Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

23. jcarm24 macrumors regular

jcarm24

I was programming for a class once, and after several hours of unsuccessful compiles, I started naming my variables as curse words. Unfortunately, I didn't change them back before turning the final copy into my professor.

It took some explaining to have it overlooked, and lucky for me I didn't label her as any of the variables.

24. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

quality!!! :D

25. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Numerous papers during school probably had something missed spelled.

But, just last week I noticed I had a few words miss-spelled on my design resume :eek: