Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Powerbook 5300

From Battery Fires to Poor Reliability the 5300 has to be the least favorite Mac :p - it was a "visual aid" of all the reasons Apple was in deep trouble at that time. I actually refused an "upgrade" to a 5300 and waited until the G3 Powerbook Bronze Keyboard came out before I allowed them to replace my machine.

This would be a good poll :cool:

northernleitz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
I hated the original G3 iMacs (tray loaders) the college newspaper I worked at had. They wouldn't even spit the tray out all the way; you had to pull the tray out an extra three inches or so. Stupid hockey puck mouse, stupid tiny function and arrow keys on that stupid little keyboard, not enough memory to do squat, crashed all the time, and strange texture on the case. Lime green in color. Blech!

I hated them all the more because I had just bought a 500 MHZ iMac DV SE that came with the best keyboard Apple has ever made (Apple Pro keyboard--graphite), along with the optical mouse. That thing was brilliant in comparison.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
mmcneil said:
From Battery Fires to Poor Reliability the 5300 has to be the least favorite Mac
Well, it should be noted that the only battery fire was on a prerelease 5300 and Apple pulled all those batteries (made by Sony) before any of those systems made it into customers hands.

On the other hand, the 5300 had number of case flaws and internal components that were prone to breaking. This was why Apple offered (back in 1998/1999) owners of the 5300 series PowerBooks money (around $700 as I recall) to sell them back to Apple. They wanted to get those systems off the street.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
joshuawaire said:
Remember, Steve once showed a design simiar to the iMac G5 when the iMac G4 was introduced and went on and on about how it was a bad design. LOL. My how things change, Steve. :rolleyes:

Steve messed up

but the iMac G5 is great G4 iMac is nice looking but the iMac G5 is liek a G3 with the backcut off, and a whole lot faster!

northernleitz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2005
Rural Alaska
zap2 said:
yet some would say that very computer saved apple :D

Agreed. But I would say that the first iMac was a poor execution of a brilliant idea. Apple got it right eventually, they just went a little crazy with the little/yellow/different approach at first.

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
my least favorite macs are the clamshell ibooks those things are ugly

edit: i forgot about flower power imacs those are even worse than clamshell ibooks

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
northernleitz said:
Agreed. But I would say that the first iMac was a poor execution of a brilliant idea. Apple got it right eventually, they just went a little crazy with the little/yellow/different approach at first.

i loved the original imacs i remember when my dad got a lime green 233mhz imac right after they came out and i thought it was the coolest thing ever

ebow

macrumors 6502a
When you people say the G3 iMac you can't possibly mean the entire line! First, as Zap2 pointed out, they're the computers that quite possibly saved Apple. Second, what I consider the pinnacle of the line, the Ruby, Indigo, Sage, Graphite, and Snow models (some colors later eliminated) were very stylin' and reasonably capable machines. Of course that's all a matter of opinion, but I'm personally having slight misgivings about selling my 500 MHz G3 iMac.

The G3 PowerBooks (Wallstreet and later) were like... tuxedos. Sharp. Sexy. :cool:

Now the G3 All-in-Ones... they were beasts. Heavy as hell and very awkward style, with a semi-transparent punched-hole plastic plate on top. And the PowerMac 5260s: a lot of kids at my college got those; I happened to upgrade to the 5400 instead. I didn't know a thing about Macs then, but what a lucky break. While superficially much like my behemoth PM 5400, the 5260s inside were, well, limited. And superninjagoat, right on about the LC IIs. We used them through high school, and sad to admit, they turned me into a know-little adolescent Mac-basher. :p

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I was never crazy about the clamshell iBook. I knew someone that had one and I always found it to be very 'clunky' and not Apple-like.

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
DeSnousa said:
The new iMac's, don't get me wrong there great looking computers in which im considering purchasing, however i loved the G4 models.

That iMac G4 commerical is classic :D
Yup, they certainly are my least favourite looking mac, by a long way.

::20ROGERSC::

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Oh, I think we'll paint the ceiling beige!

Definitely hated the ugly beige plasticy bloated bread boxes! Quadras, Centras, all those, hate hate hate!

Also hate the dull-colored semi-opaque plastic with cheese-grater holy-metal box backdrop tray-loading first generation iMacG3s.. These iMacs were even uglier than eMacs, with the aerodynamics of a bus, about as heavy and definitely as slow to get up to speed! YECK! The clear-colored revised slot loading ones (Ruby, Saphire, Graphite, Snow, Emerald) were majorly better looking, much more svelt, less cluttered looking, less Bus-like, and with better colors than yucky dull blue, dried up prune purple, and drab orange! Look mah! No hockey pucks! ;P

Why are so many people on here down on the iMac G5? After all, I can't even see what the computer looks like, all I see is a screen! ;)

G4 iMacs.. love them. If anything, it shows how much Apple has Pixar envy.. (Lampy, hello!).. Oh yeah, Steve CEOs both of them. Hmmm.. Where did they get the idea for the G4's adjustable telescope neck? lol. I would not mind a return to that design at all.

iBook G3s, colored, no problems. Toiletseat, clamshell whatever.. mine was pretty in graphite. Loved the way the light would shine off its curved plastic. Icebooks went back to beige box shapes.. bore me.. At least if it has to have the lines of a Trabant, shouldn't it be metal like the car? That's the only reason I went with the PowerBook. Square has to be metal or it looks cheap!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
eMacs Kick Ass!

I can't believe all the people talking about the eMacs, iMac G3's, and iMac G5's! I mean, the iMac G3 is the computer that saved Apple plus has the coolest colors ever. The eMac is an excellent computer, and doesn't look ugly at all. Plus it has the sharpest CRT I have ever used. And the iMac G5! OMG, those computers are so beautiful. Now I do still prefer the iMac G4, but the G5 is awesome! Fast processor, large screens, and sexy design! I want one! But my vote for the ugliest Mac is the Flower Power iMac G3. It looks like somebody threw up on the kitchen floor, then somebody took a mop and moved it all around. Blue Dalmation is ok, but it isn't my favorite iMac G3. My favorite Mac would have to be the 17" iMac G4. Beautiful!

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
how dare anyone diss the clamshells? they were revoulutionary, they were better looking that the g3 imac, and they were different. I don't know about you, but thoses were stunning. But i will admit that the firewire clams were a lot better lookin-white instead of that clearish thing. The key lime 466 was a piece of genius. i also enjoyed the indigo a lot-my fave color, with the key lime in a close second! :cool:

But i have to say that the worst mac were the powermac/performa 5200 series. They were ugly, and boy were they slow! slow slow slow slow slow. i did not like them at all.

Psycho Therapis

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2005
My first Mac was a Performa 5200, 2nd hand of course. Boy is this thing horribly slow! It didn't put me off Macs though, infact it practically forced me to get something better. Now the Performa 5200 sits gathering dust, as it's practically useless.

Based upon appearance alone, I hate the look of the TAM & the Flower Power, Dalmation & Strawberry iMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.