Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Chundles said:
yg17 said:
If a mobile provider here tried to make people pay for incoming calls they'd get run out of town by a very angry mob. It's the one thing I will say for our telecommunications systems - the mobile phone system is very well done.

Funny, I find Australian mobile phone deals to be horrifyingly expensive, and I think the Canadian deals are much better, even if incoming calls are charged.

The only......yes, "only"........good thing about Aussie mobile phone networks is Optus' pre-paid deal. If I buy a $30 prepaid charge card, I get 300 free minutes that I can use to call anybody with an Optus prepaid card as well. Every foreign person uses it. Every single one of my friends uses Optus prepaid, so I basically make calls for free. I have around 450 free minutes accumulated on my phone. :D

However, for $30 Cdn per month, I'd get 200 minutes and unlimited nighttime minutes (or weekends, depending on which I chose), but I'd have to pay a $6 per month fee for some reason. Still not bad at all, because in Oz, making calls on my phone is just incredibly expensive. I'm sorry, but $0.40 for every 30 second call, plus $0.18 (don't know exact value) connection fee? Fido was around $0.20-$0.30 for a 1 minute call, and I was on prepaid in Canada as well several years ago.

And if that's not good, then:

City Fido. Since Rogers bought Fido, this deal has become worse. It used to be $45 for UNLIMITED CALLING AND RECEIVING!! However, it's still a good deal.

camar85

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2005
Best Buy- treat their customers bad, and their employees even worse

Ford- horrible vehicles, and annoying advertising

McGraw Hill/Houghton Mifflin- always releasing new editions on static subjects just so you have to buy a new book

rebhaf

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2005
jsalzer said:
I hate to say it, but it's not Microsoft that I have the problem with. Heck, they've been rather nice about supporting us Mac users. It's the people who support Microsoft that bother me, not MS themselves. :)

I never had any beef with Microsoft either. But I recently purchased MS Office for Mac and they treat you like total sht when you call for help. Apple Store says they can't help me because it's an MS product. MS tells me, you have to check with Apple; we don't know anything about Macs; that's our competition. So I say, yes, of course that's your competition, but YOU sold ME a product that's supposed to work for my Mac. They kept passing me around their customer support and they acted like they had no idea that an MS product could even exist on a Mac. I swear, I think they were playing games just to be bstrds! So Microsoft is definitely going on my dartboard now.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
-WalMart: Biased Pay For Certain Employees
-Microsoft: Do I have to say why?
-FYE: Prices
-Best Buy: Return Policy/Sending checks by mail when you pay cash.
-HP: Had 2 once, and had nothing but problems!!! I HATE HP!!!!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
ugh i forgot about FYE, except they have one of the largest selections of anime around :/ damn not having a suncoast near me

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
T-Mobile
G4TV
Hewlett-Packard
Compaq
Quiznos

---
To the person who says Sony products don't last, have you ever had a Sony TV? Those things last at LEAST one decade. And their monitors... Sony TVs/Displays are my number one choice for television.

Also, Sony headphones are pretty good, although I don't like their midrange products. The cheap stuff (like $20) is my favorite set of headphones - they are like small and compact and have great sound.

And, Sony works with Apple with stuff... didn't they design the black powerbook?

And who said Nintendo is a bad company? They are great!

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
quagmire said:
Honda- Steals designs (look at the new Civic, the front is a rebadge Saturn). Hype Hybrids too much as well

Honda is awesome. The new Civics look good, that's more then I could ever say about a Saturn. The 2005 Civics got 50MPG in a none-hybrid engine, that is amazing.

As for Brands I hate...

Wal-Mart; For closing stores instead of letting employees unionize.
All major oil companies; For holding back the development of alternative fuels.

There's more.. but they've been more or less covered already by other posters.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
University of Massachusetts/Amherst for being such a ****ing rip-off. They keep charging more each year, then stuffing 3 and 4 people into lounges, because they over-enrolled and ran out of space in the normal dorm rooms. We started the year with 300 students living in area motels.

Halliburton/all the other crap companies fleecing the taxpayer

ms+dell+acer+gateway for being the worst trash ever purchased by a school

sony for being a rip-off and shoddy quality

toyotas for their horrid, horrid, cars. every toyota my family has owned has had nothing but major problems.

walmart, mcdonalds, and any other massive company that destroys people or places.

verizon for their sucky dsl service

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Microsoft.

A distant second would be the New Zealand IRD (Inland Revenue Department).

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
x86isslow said:
University of Massachusetts/Amherst for being such a ****ing rip-off. They keep charging more each year, then stuffing 3 and 4 people into lounges, because they over-enrolled and ran out of space in the normal dorm rooms. We started the year with 300 students living in area motels.

wait you mean what every single college does every year, raise prices? I was at merrimack for a year paying 29 thousand dollars and then they raised the price 4000 dollars. I pay about 4000 dollars a year to go to bridgewater. And BU had a problem with too many students and rented out the top two or three floors of the nearby hotel.

It isn't just UMASS Amherst, just blame all colleges in the world because they all increase prices.

dansuz1

macrumors member
May 7, 2003
Washington, D.C.
PlaceofDis said:
Walmart - horrible corp. 'nuff said
Dell - cheap products
microsoft - worst OS ever
ford - always always break down
chrysler - horrible service and quality
verizon - wost service

I know that you are speaking from personal experience when you talk about Ford and Chrysler quality, but here is a chart from Consumers Reports last month that rates car quality based on extensive reader surveys. You'll be surprised to see Ford/Chrylser in the middle of the pack, and most European brands near the bottom. Asian brands still rank high.

Attachments

• 0504rel201.gif
    0504rel201.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 77

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Bulldog Broadband were already on my hit list but have just moved up to take pole position, for their DNS server outage this afternoon. :mad:

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
fayans said:
Would you regard this as a "Brand/Company"? :confused:
You're asking this of someone who also criticized McDonald's and Burger King for their "lack of 'soul' in their dealings with the planet"? Sometimes it's best to just let a sleeping dog (or whacko) lie.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Strongly dislike Best Buy, mainly because of the poor customer support and long lines at the checkout counter.

Really, strongly, dislike Dell because of the attitude that one of their telephone "support" people took with my father-in-law (favorite quote from one exchange: "I've got your credit card number and I can do whatever I want.")

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Companies I Don't Like

This is an interesting post.

1. Walmart: I live in a small town with the SE USA. Walmart Supercenter has successfully put our largest grocery store out of business. The thing I really hate about them is they build a store, use it for a few years, and then build a bigger store somewhere else in town. The old store then sits abandoned forever... this effectively turns that part of town into a depressed area, further hurting local businesses.

2. GM: I'm surprised at the number of Ford haters out there. I know they aren't producing great products right now, but GM really sucks. Design wise they are terrible, reliablity, fit and finish, fuel economy, and resale values are all bottom of the barrell for all of their lines. Absolutely no innovation out of them (save Cadillac), I wouldn't even consider a car or truck in their lineup.

3. Microsoft: Obvoius. Crappy, bug-ridden software, predatory business practices, complete ****** (Balmer) as CEO. Gates isn't so bad, IMHO, and at lease he gives a lot to charity.

4. Budget Rental Cars: Worst customer service I've ever received from a company.

5. Best Buy: Just obnoxious, horrible staff, broken displays, etc. Really bad store.

6. Fox / Newscorps: The most biased reporting on the planet (save Al-Jazeera), has contributed to the poisoning of American philosophy on geopolitical issues.

7. All Major Music Lables: Freaking clueless, greedy, entrenched in a business model who's time is thankfully passing.

That's about it.

-alywa

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Halliburton - epitome of pure, cursed, haunting evil.
All the BigOil companies.
Dell - Crappy products, but even worse customer service/support. Of the 3 people I know with Dells, they all have nightmare cs experiences.

That said, the only companies I can say I really like are Apple, BMW, Sony, and Nintendo.

englishspark

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2004
England
Most Hated Brand/companies

From where I am sitting that would have to be GWB inc, scurge of the environment and does not like anyone else outside oil/money/neocon much either.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
alywa said:
2. GM: I'm surprised at the number of Ford haters out there. I know they aren't producing great products right now, but GM really sucks. Design wise they are terrible, reliability, fit and finish, fuel economy, and resale values are all bottom of the barrell for all of their lines. Absolutely no innovation out of them (save Cadillac), I wouldn't even consider a car or truck in their lineup.

Yet another misinformed person who lives in the past. In the past 5 years GM's reliability has skyrocketed. So far every single major car manufacture did have their unreliable stage. Toyota/Honda was in the 60's-early 80's. Then they gained reliability. Of course the Koreans are just pulling out of there reliability issues. The Big 3 had their problems in the 80's and 90's(cars). Some due to Union sabotage and others were company reluctance. GM and Ford are fresh out of the crappy products by the death of the S-10, Blazer, Aztek, Cavalier, Sunfire, and many more. Now I am going off EPA estimates, but GM has increased their fuel economy numbers. The Chevy HHR gets 23/30. The Chevy Cobalt gets 24/32. The Impala gets 21/31 with the 3.5 V6, 19/27 for the 3.9 V6, and 18/28 with the 5.3 V8. 22/32 for the Chevy Malibu. The Chevy Silverado gets 15/18. The Chevy Tahoe gets 15/19. The Chevy Corvette gets 18/28 with manual, 17/27 with auto with the 400 HP LS2. The Corvette Z06 with the 7.0 LS7 505 HP gets 16/26 avoiding the gas guzzler tax. Now these numbers are good and acceptable for the class. GM's trucks and SUV's always had superior reliability. Their reliability have been 2nd to none. I have had 2 Suburbans and they have not been in the shop besides for oil changes. If you look up my 2007 Chevy Tahoe unveiled thread, you will see I did a comparison between Domestic and Import trucks and SUV's with the Fuel economy. They were around the same with actually GM squeezing out 1-2 more MPG's in some cases. Also GM has 8 J.D Power and associates awards for reliability and quality. And GM is turning around their interiors as seen with the Pontiac G6, HHR, Impala, Tahoe, Yukon, and many new vehicles.

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Adam Chase said:
1- apple?

:eek: You must be lost, you're looking for Pcrumors.com :p

eva01 said:
wait you mean what every single college does every year, raise prices? I was at merrimack for a year paying 29 thousand dollars and then they raised the price 4000 dollars. I pay about 4000 dollars a year to go to bridgewater. And BU had a problem with too many students and rented out the top two or three floors of the nearby hotel.

It isn't just UMASS Amherst, just blame all colleges in the world because they all increase prices.

I agree, everyone is raising rates.

However, I don't give a hoot what BU or Merrimack did. UMass raised its rates, its at fault for its actions. Students at UMass have historically been succesful in fighting bad administration- in the 1991-1995 era, they forced the administration to actually lowerthe total cost to attend UMass.

More importantly, UMass is a landgrant uni, and as such, its mission is to be accessible to people of all incomes across the state. When private schools like BU and Merrimack raise rates, they have justification. When UMass does, it has none.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Love:

Apple and Nintendo

Hate:

Microsoft, Dell, and McDonalds.

Like: IBM (not the company, but their products), BMW, a few others

Mildly dislike: Sony (the company, not the products), EA (SOME good products, sucky company), a few others I can't think of right now.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
GM - Any reason to be making LARGE, outdated (think Pushrod) technology, unreliable (intake gaskets going out with less the 30k miles), cars, trucks, and SUV's ? (no I don't own one, I just help fix LOTS of them)

Cingular (ex AT&T). I Stopped service, they keep billing, put a mark on my credit, have collection agency call me all hours of the day, took 4 months for them to see that THEY were wrong.

image.php

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
840quadra said:
GM - Any reason to be making LARGE, outdated (think Pushrod) technology.
That outdated pushrod technology is kicking ass in the Z06/GTO/F-bodies. ;) Lighter, compact, cheap to repair. The LSx engine is amazing, no doubt.

Edit: And also, you know OHC engines have been around since the 1930s right? :cool:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Xtremehkr said:
Nextel, I hate the chirp, I don't want to hear the whole conservation from both people.

How is that the fault off Nextel? That is the fault of the person that dosen't know how to turn off (or down) their speaker.

Whenever I hear someone in the background coplain about my speaker (which I turn off after the other caller gets my attention) I omit turning down the speaker. My reason, If I can hear the other person talking, and complaining to their friend(s), there is no reason I need to be quitet for them. ;)

image.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.