Most Hated School Class

Discussion in 'Community' started by Macmaniac, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

We all complain about school classes, but what is your most hated right now?
    As for me it has to be Español, my teacher is the biggest pain in the world. She just does not stop handing out work and tests, then we have to a new project every week. I hope I survive!
  2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    As I have an art history exam and paper due tomorrow, that is currently my most hated class.
  3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    Some people in my skool hate PE....I hate...Hmmmm nothing....I don't like computer class...we have no computers and a bitchy sub....
  4. Macco macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2003
    It would have to be Spanish for me too. Not that the class or the work is particularly difficult, just that it's sooooo boring. We spend half of the class going over homework, and the other half doing practice problems and stuff. It's just so uninteresting to me, and I can think of a million better ways to teach Spanish that wouldn't involve me falling asleep in class.
    A close second for me would be math class. I'm in an honors class, a year above normal grade level (Algebra II honors, instead of Geometry), and still class is too easy for me. But the teacher never checks homework, which is sort of a plus.
  5. mstecker macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    Ocean and Coastal Law

My worst was a law school class entitled "Ocean and Coastal Law". The professor had written the textbook, and I got stuck sitting in the first row on the first day because I was late. The way seating worked in my law school, that meant I had that seat for the rest of the semester. This meant that it was obvious when I didn't show up, which was almost all of the time (I had a full time job at NeXT on the side).

When it came time for the final (law school final exams are administered anonymously, and are 100% of your grade), I prepared for my usual drill of cramming the whole book in a few days - only to discover that the prof. had only used the book as a rough guide, and had ad-libbed most of the material (which I had missed).

Just two days before the final, I received a note from the professor which told me to come and "see him". I did, and he informed me that he'd be failing me with no opportunity to take the exam. Further, he had asked the Dean to investigate my attenence patterns in all of my other classes (which were similarly dismal).

I had to meet with the Dean and somehow - to this day, I don't know how - I convinced her to allow me to drop the class. It just vanished - like I had never been in it to start with. Maybe it was my hard-luck story about how my fiancee was out of a job and I had to work "too much" to stop her car from being reposessed and having her evicted from her home. This was not true.

Ocean and Coastal Law. A far sight worse than Spanish any day of the week.
  6. Macco macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2003
    Re: Ocean and Coastal Law

I don't know, man. You should sit in on my Spanish class some day.
  7. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    As of now..... probably my math class. Algebra II.

My teacher is unintelligent. She should not be a teacher - she messes up on 75% of the easy algebra II problems that she works. We constantly have to correct her.

Most of the people in my class are lost, and failing, but I not only take to math really well, but I know all this stuff from previous math courses.

She has a problem with free will. She can't do anything on her own accord, she has to check or get permission from a higher authority. She teaches only according to the designed curriculum, and not by what she deems is best. She has a really annoying 70's looking haircut, and a really annoying high piched voice.

Today it really annoyed me because she was teaching the class how to factor quadratic equations :rolleyes: and i was barely listening and from what i heard she was teaching them horribly. Its no wonder that they are failing. She explains things horribly - even though they should have learned all this in algebra I. She wants us to show all our work, and she says she is going to take off points if she doesnt see the 'smiley face', which is supposed to be created when you are checking your answer and drawing a line from one number to the next; but I do factoring a completely different way. I use a Korean method taught to me by a Korean friend (it is 10x better than the method we are learning in school), which doesn't involve smiley faces... :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

She really annoys me. Luckily the class is a breeze and is a real GPA helper (for me at least - i could only imagine where i would be if I didn't know this stuff already). I'm pretty sure I have a 97 right now.

I also hate chemistry, because I don't know many people in that class. And people are hesitant to talk to me because whenever coach mjos (my teacher) is talking about grades he always tells people to ask me for help. I have no right to have the highest grade in that class - I dont listen, I don't try, and I don't spend any time whatsoever on chemistry outside the class. But somehow I have the highest grade in the class. So now everyone thinks im some kind of genius child and so they all shy away from me.

I went from taking all honors last year to taking all regulars (except for some computer classes - which are my most challenging classes). It's like going back 5 grades or something.

It is doing wonders for my GPA, and will help me get into a better college, which in turn will benifit my education. But as of now I'm not learning ****, and I am really annoyed by it. I haven't touched my backpack once outside of school, and yet I am making 95+ in most of my classes. It amazes me that half the people are failing when everything is common sense and 4th grade level thinking. Sometimes I wish I stayed in honors, but I really couldn't handle the effects honors/AP had on my GPA.

But my most hated type of course would have to be History courses. I really cant stand history. I think its a great thing to learn, but I think there are very few teachers can keep it from being boring.

I had a great history teacher in 8th grade at my private, elementary school. He was a very dramatic teacher, and you couldn't sleep in that class if you wanted to. But despite his outrageous teaching methods, I was still bored out of my mind. I find very few things truly interesting about history. Luckily, I took a dual credit college course (to get high school and college credit) at Austin Community College, and got rid of American History during the summer. So this year I am history free. :)

Well, now that I have all that school stuff out of my system I think I will play some starcraft :D.

8. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    I loved spanish. Well.

Physical education sucked. For all those who were too fat, too skinny, too slow, or too sporty so they got treated badly or those talented got bored.

My foot was always a problem. And I was slow .. slow but resistant but they didnt care i could swim or run 4 hours, they wanted 60 or 100 m of runnign and my leg didn't want to operate always correctly and i was just slow .. (and a nerd, so not liked in group sports).

The worst EVER thing in PE were dance classes. Tehre were more girls than boys, and tall girls had to dance with other girls. I was tall, and I still can't stand any women touching me, unless I REALLY really do know them and they are like grandmas, my closest friends or so to me. Gosh.
  9. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Dec 6, 2002
    Washington State University
    I hated P.E..

Right now, World Civilizations. It's very incompetently taught at my college, or at least by my professor.
  10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Point your finger at my old elementary, just as long as you could also point to 90% of my classmates and about 50% of my teachers. I still hold a firey hatred against the ignorance consuming my efforts to just listen to what I was being taught.
  11. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I think every non-physics major will blame the entire physics dept as being the worse "class" in the school. I know it's above the PE and languages but it's where I'm at now and I'm not too fond of it.

12. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Spanish was a bitch, but I got through it. Math really bothers me, I know its good to know but I have a feeling I wont be using much of this stuff we are learning now, but who knows.

13. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    none at the moment. i'm currently enjoying all of my senior year high school classes.

i'm sure i'll hate some classes in college.

last year my worst class was physics. the teacher was actually a math teacher who was forced by the school district to teach physics (they didn' have enough physics teachers.) i eventually came out with a 90, so i guess it was alright in the end.
  14. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Architectural design studio was my most loved and hated class. It totally depended on the instructor, and we took one each quarter for 4 years, then a full year spent with one. Total of 17 design classes, with 2 times I spent 2 quarters with the same instructor for a total of 15 design instructors over 5 years. Only about 5 of them really sucked, and about 5 were really exceptional. When it's good, its really a lot of fun to be there, even when you haven't slept for 3 days. When it's bad there's almost no point. You might as well have just redone the project from the quarter before.

And critiques on 3 days without sleep are rough when people with no idea what you were working on for 10 weeks tell you it sucks for the following reasons... :p

At the time, I thought Statics was the worst thing ever, but looking back it wasn't so hard. I was just dumb.
  15. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
  16. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2002
    This isnt so much a current problem as it was a last year problem, but... my first semester required english course was taught by a professor who must have been brought in to prevent the kids here from writing things like holla in their papers. His method for helping students rid themselves of stupidity (an impossible battle at my school) was to assign papers that were to begin with "this paper is about...there will be five paragraphs discussing..." and ended with "this paper was about...each paragraph talked about..." Needless to say, I attempted suicide by numerous paper cuts using the 15lb. book we never touched that cost $75. The only redeeming point of the class was that while he was up at the board one could watch as dark rivulets of sweat began staining his cornflower blue shirts until they were 30% covered after five minutes of class. Being an art major, my schedule will be so morbidly obese in the coming semesters that it won't be until second semester of my junior year that i will be able to take a decent literature or writing course.:mad:
  17. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2002
    Charles City, Iowa
    Spanish IV. While I'm good at it, our school system can't seem to get a teacher to stay for more than a year, so we also have crappy teachers. The one this year is a moron...:rolleyes:
  18. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I dislike my Digital Electronics class. The instructor is a complete idiot bastard and I spend most of my time thinking up ways to torment him.
  19. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Back in the day I disliked PE the most. But I really just disliked the teacher. You know, one of those coaches... :D
  20. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    in high school, i dislked civics the most

but now, 22 years later, i like the topic and find it interesting...the teacher i had wore a three piece suit and had a very droning type of voice and put kids to sleep...he never did a thing but just kept on droning on and basically read the text from cover to cover

by the time i got to college, i didn't rate the class based on the hip factor of the teacher, but more on the material that i learned while in class

my high school civics teacher would have fared much better at the college

but i don't find it making sense that i should hate any college class...i have to pay tuition, parking fees, and pay for books and since i don't have to be there, then it makes me realize that i am in college by choice in the first place and that helps make it more interesting since all the students participate since they are paying for this whole thing

but the last classes i have taken were about $1400 dollars a class for 15 weeks so some of the students were very critical of their professors and did nothing but complain because the professor did not walk on water and juggle at the same time while standing on their head:p
  21. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Ugh. Personal Survival. It's basically sex ed, with a few lessons on drugs and alcohol thrown in. I think we did something with CPR as well. It wasn't the class so much, but the teacher. He told us that the cervix is on top of the uterus, and that when women menstruate, their ovaries literally explode. Apparently after a small explosion occurs in your body, any pregnancy that happens after, will be of the sort where the mother births the baby into her lungs. Honestly.
  22. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    the class that gave me nightmares was symbolic logic. i was in it because it was required for my philosophy major, which was too was like algebra on crack with no numbers.
    It was BAD.
    Lesson being if you have a class you need to take, dont wait until your senior year to do it...its painfully unpleasant to do that to yourself.
  23. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
  24. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That is very sad to hear. I'm shocked that a teacher would be allowed to keep a job with such ignorance of basic Anatomy. I hope that this teacher is the exception rather than the rule. If a lot of teachers are like this no wonder a majority of students don't have basic knowledge. It seems like the members of this forum could teach their classes!
  25. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Dec 6, 2002
    Washington State University
    The best sex ed class would be that taught by John Cleese in Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life.