Most likely iBook 700MHz G3 - how do you guys like them?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slooksterPSV, Jun 8, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Ok, guys I'm going to purchase another laptop next week. An iBook G3 700MHz, 256MB RAM, 16MB VRAM, 20GB HDD - includes powercables and OS 9.2.2 and/or Jaguar or Panther. Well, I want to know what others think about them? Its a 12" one, used, at least 1 hour battery life, may be more. I'm also going to buy a brand new battery for it (NewerTech 4800mAh Battery).

What do you guys think of this laptop?
    How does it compare to your other computers?
    Is it hard to upgrade things in it?

Thanks you guys. Just want to make sure I'll have the best purchase this next pay day.

2. Cybernanga macrumors regular

I have the 600Mhz version with 384MB RAM, and the Combo Drive.

It's not the fastest thing on the planet, but it's robust and reliable.

Don't expect to be able to upgrade much more than the RAM, and adding an Airport card. You could upgrade the HDD, but it is a serious pain to do. I know, I did it on mine, and it's not an easy task at all, and I actually LIKE doing that sort of thing.

If the price is right, I say go for it in a heartbeat.

3. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I hate when people say this to me in my threads but, for $98 more get a mini. Feel free to scream at me all you want! ;)

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Its a nice machine i used to have one of the last generation of G3 iBooks it was a great machine and worked faultlessly in the time i had it. For $400 you will have yourself a very nice machine that will serve you well for a few years yet.

SHADow ;)

6. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I'm really really off G3 ibooks at the moment, all I ever hear are people complaining about them. (Backlight mainly!) They also don't feel that sturdy to me personally. If it's for you though, $400 sounds ok... if you scout ebay you might get cheaper.. and if new ibooks come out anytime soon, 2nd hand ones will drop a little more.

7. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If they are released next week, maybe I'll wait till a next pay day to get an iBook G4 - maybe if someone is selling one off of the forums or if I can find a good deal at Techrestore, or if MacOfAllTrades has them. I won't be purchasing till next week on Thursday.

EDIT: I may be waiting till I have more $$$ to buy an iBook, why? Well, Techrestore is selling the iB 700 fast. They are down to only 2 left and I still have 7 more days to go before I get paid. I may just wait, it'd probably do me better to buy a brand new iBook.

8. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

my last iBook was of the 700 mhz variant that you mentioned, except i bought it from expercom, and not techrestore.Mine was loaded with 640 mb of ram...something you NEED to do to have it run most things with a robust feel. I was running Jaguar, but I suspect Panther would have been much better. For everyday things like mail, iTunes, and Safari, it was perfect. I only bought a new Powerbook because of the education incentive rebate, and the fact that I'm doing more intensive audio work now.

I also paid $550 only 3 months ago, so 400 bucks isn't a bad deal at all. If you're using it for basic tasks, it will do fine.

EDIT: Didn't see that you were considering the G4 iBooks. In which case, be wary of the early G4 iBooks. There are some people on these boards who can give you some insight to them, as they aren't as reliable. Are you a student? If so, the $999 iBook is only $949, AND there's a $100 rebate right now, so you can get a SPANKING new one for $849. Heck of a deal if you ask me.

9. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

my ex had an iBook G3 700 --- however, I gave her my 512 RAM stick, so it was running on 640 mb's of RAM (or so)

with that much RAM, it was a pretty good lil' machine --- it actually can do some FCP work too

however, without that much RAM, I don't really know how well Tiger/Panther will run