Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mileslong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Newport Beach, CA
tandycomputer.jpg

danidoll521

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
I actually had a Tandy 5000 at work back in the day (seems like so long ago). I can't imagine anyone, even a business, spending $8499.00 for a computer...shows how much technology has changed over the years and much cheaper it has become.

danidoll521

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
I was nothing to spend over 10K for a computer in those days, especially a Mac. All I can say is I'm thankful the price of technology has decreased with time :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I was nothing to spend over 10K for a computer in those days, especially a Mac. All I can say is I'm thankful the price of technology has decreased with time :)

Agreed. But if prices have stayed the same, I wonder what a Mac Pro fully equipped would cost? :eek:

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
A lot of Macs cost more than that when new. Look it up.

Actually, very few Macs cost more than that. Only a few select ultra high-end models, like the 40mhz IIfx, cost that much (this is only 20mhz!) and the IIfx also supports up to 128mb of RAM, and multiple displays in millions of colors with the addition of extra video cards (up to 6 if you really wanted to, via 32-bit NuBus... what does this have 8-bit ISA???).

Most fell in the $2000 - $5000 price range.

Please stop spreading this common misconception. Most Macs cost less than that and could still do much much more, even 17 years ago.

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
... what does this have 8-bit ISA???).

Actually, this looks like a licensed clone of IBM's 32-bit microchannel ("MCA") architecture that was most common in the IBM PS/2 series. It was a revolutionary design, but IBM wanted manufacturers to pay a hefty IBM tax in order to use it, so there weren't many companies interested in using MCA. (That probably explains part of this machine's insane price.) Because of that, the ISA/EISA standard won out, the Microchannel Architecture became a mere footnote, and computers based on the design became quirky little machines that used hard-to-find and pricey parts.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
:D :D :D

I guess that's what happens if you try and predict the future, you end up making yourself look like a dick in the past...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.