Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
What's your most prized possesion?

I was just thinking about this (whilst I was supposed to be studying for my upcoming exams). I think my Powerbook is probably #1. However, about 6 months ago I purchased a Pioneer 160GB HDD/DVD recorder, which is one of the most brilliant machines I've ever owned. I guess its similar to the Tivo service the people in the US get, but its free. The tv-listing guide (guide-plus) is very good and useful and the interface is excellent.
Best large purchase I've made in a long time (besides the powerbook then).

Its a kind of materialistic topic, I admit. But that can be fun every now and then too! :D
So what do you guys like most?

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH

ill prolly go with my relationship with my girlfriend and my family at the top. then prolly my powerbook (it has my past 2 years worth of life on it) and then my ipod.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
TheMasin9 said:
ill prolly go with my relationship with my girlfriend and my family at the top. then prolly my powerbook (it has my past 2 years worth of life on it) and then my ipod.

Couldn't agree with you more on the family/friends point. I think if that isn't #1 for everybody you need to step away from the computer and start meeting some people :rolleyes:

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I don't really think of friends as family as possessions, per se. Are you asking what is most important to us in general, or do you mean actual literal possessions? If it is the first one then I would most certainly say family and friends, but for actual possessions I would have to say my two Powerbooks and my flute.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
He's talking material posessions. No family and mushy stuff in here.

My computer setup is my most prized posession and them my cameras and gear.

I spend half my life on this thing and the other half behind those other things I mentioned. I better like them.

I'm THANKFUL for my family, I don't own them, though. ;)

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
iGary said:

well shoot... i can't gush about macrumors then...;) :cool:

i have a few mechanical watches that i'm extremely fond of, i suppose those are my most prized posessions

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
mfacey said:
Couldn't agree with you more on the family/friends point. I think if that isn't #1 for everybody you need to step away from the computer and start meeting some people :rolleyes:

I agree that relationships are more valuable than anythign material....but since mfacey described this as a material issue - I will stick with that-

prized posessions for me are those things that I hold dear and could not replace if my place caught fire- family photos, hand made gifts, etc.

Now - since I keep all of my photos on my mac- there is a tie in. But the machine itself can be replaced. The content is precious to me!

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
He did say "possession" in the thread title, so unless you actually own your parents, siblings, significant other... you're in trouble. ;)

For me, I'd have to say my computers. I don't think a day goes by that I don't use it to 1) work, 2) keep in contact with family, 3) keep in contact with friends, 4) learn something new everyday, 5) have fun.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
For me it would have to be my iBook G4. 2 weeks ive had it and I cant imgine how lost I would be without it. In second would have to be my car.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
My wedding ring, because of what it symbolizes, its completely unique design, and because it's damn expensive. ;) :cool:

After that, my most prized possession would probably be my home. :cool:

XNine

macrumors 68040
Everything I own. And it's not from a materialistic point of view. Everything I have, I have because I worked my ass off for it, and I view stealing any of it punishable by death. If someone ever breaks in, and I'm home, I'll kill em, no 2nd chances. If they try to run, I'll shoot him in the ass, then drag him back into my place and pistol whip him to death. If you can't work for what you want, then you do not deserve it. Okay, I'm done now.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
iGary said:

My computer setup is my most prized posession and them my cameras and gear.

I spend half my life on this thing and the other half behind those other things I mentioned. I better like them.

I'm THANKFUL for my family, I don't own them, though. ;)

I was going to say my mind, but it's been gone for years.

It would have to be of all the strange things, an o-sake set given to me by my biological mother, as well as the name (with its message) she gave to me.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Do my cats count? :p I do 'own' them...

Hmm, probably my 2004 MINI cooper S. I dreamt of it for years and worked and saved up to help pay for it. Plus, it's the only manual car in my household. :p Nobody else can drive it. :D

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
If we're talking material items, then my most prized possession is the engagement ring I have bought for my girlfriend (not proposed yet, so until I do, the ring is technically mine :D ) - both for what it is and for what it symbolises.

Also, my Mac is pretty damn important to me. At the time, it was the most expensive thing I had ever bought (now overtaken by ring :eek:) but equally it has been worth every penny.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
stonyc said:
He did say "possession" in the thread title, so unless you actually own your parents, siblings, significant other... you're in trouble.
Hey, I paid good money for her so she counts as a "possession" in my book... ;)

Seriously though, I'd probably going to have to say my Power Mac. Nowhere near as important to me as my close ones of course, but I certainly wouldn't consider them possessions in any sense of the word.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
2nyRiggz said:
^^congrats dude.....dont hold off too long now....she might get tired and i'll have to play Good cop on you....just kiddin:p

Bless

Thanks :). Was a big decision but definitely the right one. Just a matter of working out when, where and how. More expense, no doubt. :D

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
OK, I'll bite:

• Mushy response: my family is my most important "possession"
  • Sentimental/material response: photos of my son
  • Unabashed materialistic response: my Porsche

Frank

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
My car is my most important possession. I can't imagine getting around without it. I would fee tied down.

Second is my PB, as I have everything important on it, and I use it not only for (Uni) work every day, but for "entertainment" as well. I'm talking about music and surfing the web. I don't watch TV, so my PB provides lots of entertainment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.