Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Question as title really. I'd like to keep all of my external discs NTFS-formatted for easy PC exchange of large files. Suggestions appreciated, thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Sesshi said:
Question as title really. I'd like to keep all of my external discs NTFS-formatted for easy PC exchange of large files. Suggestions appreciated, thanks.
NTFS is proprietary and closed. The only way for MacOS X to write to NTFS is over a network. This means that the NTFS volume must be controlled by a Windows computer.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
MisterMe said:
NTFS is proprietary and closed. The only way for MacOS X to write to NTFS is over a network. This means that the NTFS volume must be controlled by a Windows computer.

I don't see what that's got to do with anything, especially since NTFS is just as 'proprietary and closed' as HFS.

So no-one makes software which allows Macs to write to an NTFS partition? Bizarre.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Sesshi said:
I don't see what that's got to do with anything, especially since NTFS is just as 'proprietary and closed' as HFS.

So no-one makes software which allows Macs to write to an NTFS partition? Bizarre.
No more bizarre than nobody makes a MP3 player that can play iTunes Music Store DRM AAC's other than Apple. It is a closed format - the specifications are proprietary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.