Most ridiculous local news story

Discussion in 'Community' started by jbomber, Jul 25, 2003.

1. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Ever get the impression that your local news has the WORST/MOST RIDICULOUS stories?

I'm sitting at home watching Fox 5 News NY and all of a sudden there's dramatic music and a voice over comes on:

"Who will win..."

more dramatic music

"One on one..."

Dum da daaa

"Jif or Skippy... find out later tonight on Fox 5 News..."

WTF??? Peanut butter??? You'd think there weren't a thousand other things going on in the world.

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Most ridiculous local news story

haha, my school district has its own public TV station and we put the most dramatic sounds on, just to get attention.

We had a show on called 'The Most important things you will ever need to know about life'

We had an episode about making craft easy mac. :cool: :D

It was a total parody, the show got the can after we did a sex parody show.

We added sound effects to that show to make it even greater, just imagine old skool batman (live action the one with the 'POW' and 'WHAM') combined with asking the most absurd things.

'Hey baby, we are doing a report about sex, want to comment?'
    'Your kidding right?'
    'No, how about a personal interview'
    ':SLAP!!:' (add overly dramatic sound effects like echoing the slap, you get the show)

Note: I didn't take part in that episode, I was sick... (Lucky for me, the cast was never to put on an episode again)

But yeah there are alot of more ridicious stories, like the ones that lie.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Jif......JIF will win!!!

*puts a 5'ver on Jif*

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I guess they just want you to stay tuned. I also say jif, but the crunchy kind or the smooth and creamy kind? I say that creamy kind. Moms like you choose jif. ;)

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

6. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    News in general, especially local news, long ago switched from being "news" oriented to "entertainment" oriented, especially when they all copied each other to give hour long broadcasts instead of 1/2 hour ones. They need filler, and instead of just informing us of what really matters, they fill the hour with fluff, puff, repeats, teasers, rubbish and "cat up a tree" crap that has just kept me away from local broadcasts altogether.

And what's with this competition about who is more "Honest" "Fair" "Balanced"? It's almost as if they THEMSELVES know how rotten their own broadcasts are and have to advertise that they're something that they're not. When I watched Walter Cronkite or Huntley/Brinkley as a kid, it WAS honest, fair and balanced, as good journalism should be, and certainly didn't need to be "advertised" as such.

"1984" is more relevant today than its ever been.:rolleyes:

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

SKIPPY WON!

haha, it did, since I saw this thread I said 'why not' and watched it, all they did was go to people on times square and stuff...

8. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Probably because it got out that Bush prefers Jif.

9. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Does anyone else frequently see "breaking news" stories that aren't really that urgent or even interesting?

Also, do I even care if someone I don't know has been arrested for murdering someone else I don't know? Most news is crap anyway. If it doesn't affect who I vote for or what I do in my daily life, why do I care?

10. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Like most things, sadly, the original intent of "Breaking News" has lost all meaning, because the broadcasters understand that it fosters interest and use it inappropriately all the time to keep viewers' attention. Keeping viewers' attention is the HOLY GRAIL of all of broadcasting, because doing so "sells soap."

11. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

It seems like every night here on FOX 13, we get the latest update on "Utah Idol" our cheap rip off of American Idol. You're lucky to have breaking news about peanut butter.

P-Worm

12. jbomber thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbomber

LOL. that's terrible. I thought that the Pittsburgh News was the worst til i got to NY. One summer in P-town, every other story was about dog attacks or bee stings. It got to the point where you'd swear there were packs of wild dogs running around, barking and shooting bees out of their mouths.

13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

HaHa, that's great. Remember last summer when every station was reporting about shark attacks? It got to the point that people were afraid to go into the water until people found out it was a slow summer for good news? I believe it was also a year of statistically less shark attacks, than normal. Jeez, I don't even watch the news unless my wife turns it on.

BTW I alway liked that one anchors "in depth" portion of reporting. I watched it one time, and it was something like a minute long. :rolleyes: It was Dan Rather or somebody. Ah, well. I'll just keep getting the news off the 'net.

edit: spelling, clarification

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Every summer down here (in Texas), it's all about the West Nile virus. Mosquitoes are attacking!!! I hear the same thing over and over. Wear bug spray, Don't keep any standing water where mosquitoes can breed, etc. etc. It gets pretty old. Anyways.... No one answered my question earlier... Creamy or Crunchy? (peanut butter)

15. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Creamy. It eases spreading on the Wonder Bread.:p

16. Independence macrumors regular

skippy blows. jif for ever! :D

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I prefer chunky, no particular brand just whatever is on sale. Chunky spreads easy on a substantial whole wheat grain bread!

18. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

The 10 o'clock news is a joke nation-wide. It's designed not to tell news in any detail, but rather to sell air-time. They did a huge story a few years ago here in Chicago called "Garage Doors of Death". It spanned several nights, and scared folks into getting new garage doors. Know how many people died from those doors of death that year? One. Tragic true, but 9000 people died from food poisoning last year, 8500 from falling off their roof, 30,000 died from the flu. They make us afraid of the wrong things, bait you with "coming up..." idiotic stories designed to interest the addle-brained, and do it in a forum where they describe themselves as jounalists. It's crap.

19. vniow macrumors G4

Low-fat creamy Skippy owns you all! Bwahahaha..ha...ha..ah screw it.

20. jbomber thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbomber

It's gotten to the point where i much rather watch the Daily show for my news. At least they give you some actual news before throwing in the punchline.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You point to an interesting fact of todays news gathering. The viewship of the major networks have declined along with newspapers. Americans under the age of 30 get a lot of there news from late night talk!

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

We've been getting a lot of "West Nile" stories in Michigan, also . We can't forget the annual stories about firecracker safety. You know, the one where they show the mannquin holding an M-80, and then gets its hand blown off?

Anyway, the only important stories I've seen in my limited TV news watching has been about the emerald ash borer, and a couple of local drug bust stories.

23. jbomber thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbomber

Yeah. somehow i doubt this oversensationalizing of incredibly TRIVIAL tidbits of pseudo-news is the answer...

When's the news media going to start taking itself seriously again? We need a little more Cronkite and a lot less Springer.

24. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

haha, we get what you mean.

I prefer Skippy Creamy or Reeses Peanut Butter.

25. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I eat Jif Creamy, and get my news off the Internet.