Most ROMs Are Legal?!?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by outerspaceapple, Nov 1, 2005.

1. outerspaceapple macrumors regular

outerspaceapple

http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

Apparently the exact wording of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act provides that copying and distributing "a work" into a new format IS legal "if the original format becomes obsolete".

"In addition, the amended section permits such a library or archive to copy a work into a new format if the original format becomes obsolete—that is, the machine or device used to render the work perceptible is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace."

Wow, with that news i think i'll go play some bomberman on my PSP :-D (j/k, i don't have a psp, but if i did i would be)

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you turn a mac into an SNES? I'd luurve to play Super Mario Kart on my PowerBook. *drool*

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Normal copyright still applys. If you don't own the original ROM it's illegal to obtain a copy of that ROM in another format.

4. Jomoma macrumors regular

Jomoma

It's possible and I have done it. do some searching for emulation software for mac os x.
    Your on your own finding roms.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just to clarify, so people don't misunderstand. Owning the original ROM doesn't mean owning the game. It means owing the ROM, as in making the ROM yourself from the your copy of the game.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I had a playstation, snes, snes, genesis, and a couple other emulators on my modded xbox a while back (before I sold it). It was awesome playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Street Fighter Alpha 3 on an xbox. Though I owned both of those discs...

I really dunno how anyone would come after you as long as you weren't sharing it or selling it, I think you'd be okay. Ethically? perhaps not, but nonetheless.