Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
While there has been a lot of discussion about lack of puchasing (not entirely true...can still purchase on your PC), and 720p (a red herring to most normal people)...

...most seem to be missing a couple things with the new ATV announcement...

1. According to iTunes 10, you will NOT have access to .99 tv shows with your old ATV. To me this is the biggest slap in the face by apple. They could probably even do this without pushing an update. Lame Apple,...very very lame...

2. Please notice how Jobs introduced this...he made sure to mention that it is STILL A HOBBY. This means anyone hoping for lots of future support, upgrades, app stores, local storage...etc...will most likely be just as disappointment as current ATV owners have been with Apple's updates over the past 4 years.

I would not be holding out for things like apps, or Hulu...

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
1. According to iTunes 10, you will NOT have access to .99 tv shows with your old ATV. To me this is the biggest slap in the face by apple. They could probably even do this without pushing an update. Lame Apple,...very very lame...

I'm not too interested in renting Cougar Town, even for 99¢, but it looks like I can. Edit: It does not look like I can rent directly from the Apple TV. So again, like purchasing content, there is a workaround

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-02 at 1.19.56 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-02 at 1.19.56 PM.png
    709.3 KB · Views: 79

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I can't believe Apple TV owners from 4 YEARS AGO are complaining that they aren't getting a software update.. Cough up the $99..

Consider yourself lucky you even get the possibility of $0.99/episode, we still have to deal with purchasing at £1.89/£2.49 GBP.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Hulu is forbidden by the content providers to be on a TV... computer only.

This is not the case with Hulu Plus, which is why it costs more. I just got a new Samsung TV a few weeks ago which has support for Hulu Plus built into it.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It's an inexpensive netflix streaming box.

For another $50, maybe less if you find a sale, you can grab an Xbox 360. OK, it requires the Live subscription, but you can also get a remote that doesn't blow. The Apple Remote is nice for Front Row, but no sane person is going to use the ATV to replace anything with a remote that simple.

Mach1.8

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I can't believe Apple TV owners from 4 YEARS AGO are complaining that they aren't getting a software update.. Cough up the $99..

Consider yourself lucky you even get the possibility of $0.99/episode, we still have to deal with purchasing at £1.89/£2.49 GBP.

Except I bought mine 6 months ago. And there isn't a technical reason why I should pay more to rent the same show from the same store. Senseless.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London

Yeah iTunes video is stupidly expensive in the UK, and riddled with DRM. I don't know a single person who has purchased a film or tv show from iTunes here. There are plenty of free alternatives!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.