Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

papabill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
I have Powermac G4 AGP (M7628LL/A) that has the AGP slot without the 'power-supplying' tab at the front of the slot. Therefore my NVIDIA GeForce2 MX video card (ADC/VGA) will only enable me to use the VGA outlet, and not the ADC. I have two Studio Display Monitors (M7649) and cannot use them.

I need to know (1) What other monitors will work with this G4 (in case I cannot fulfill #2), and most importantly (2) Which motherboard can I replace this one with that will enable me to use the video card in it's fullest?

Thanks

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
1. Any VGA monitor will work.

2. You can't replace logic board with newer one without changing PSU - different pinouts. Logic board costs about $20, PSU another 20-50 bucks (from Quicksilver, Gigabit and Digital Audio).
http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml - your is Sawtooth, ADC capable are starting form Gigabit/Digital (+28V is ADC needed voltage).

My advice: if you need ADC display so bad, search Craigslist for newer G4 (Gigabit, Digital Audio, Quicksilver). Cost would be -/+ that same.

papabill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
You can't replace logic board with newer one without changing PSU - different pinouts. Logic board.

Strangely enough, that was the EXACT motherboard (logic board?) I was considering buying. But I'd have to modify the plug FROM the power supply TO the motherboard, is that what I'm understanding?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
No, your PSU lacks +28V line -(ADC power). Even if you'll modify power connector - ADC still won't work. You need newer PSU if you want to run this logic board in your G4 with functional ADC.

papabill

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
No, your PSU lacks +28V line -(ADC power). Even if you'll modify power connector - ADC still won't work. You need newer PSU if you want to run this logic board in your G4 with functional ADC.

Please pardon my ignorance (I'm an old DOS baby-been with PCs all my life), but does PSU=Power Supply?? It took me a while to figure out Logic Board was Motherboard (in PCspeak). And just changing the Logic board won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.