motherboard problems in clamshell ibooks?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by blvdeast, Dec 4, 2003.

1. blvdeast macrumors regular

I plan on buying the old g3 clamshell ibooks for me. I really do not need anything powerful, just basic use. I heard a rumor that the motherboards are screwed up and stop working after a while.I plan to buy it off ebay so it will be used and I don't want it dying on my second week of use. Anyone know about this?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

As far as I know, the only real motherboard problems are with the newer white iBook so I Dont think you should have any problems

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

My brother has one (gray) since 1999/2000 and later bought another (older, orange) 2hand one. They still work fine, and they are used and abused a lot and he took them with him everywhere (he is a salesrep). The only thing that isn't working properly is the battery in the gray one. If he replaces it, it is working fine again, instead of replacing the battery he bought a white Ibook :D

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

the white ones are a better choice as they have a 100MHz bus vs. the clamshell styles 66MHz bus. 34MHz may seem like a small amount of increase but not when it comes to a bus. for example a 133 bus is a decent amount faster than a 100.